Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Debating a GT to RT Sail Panel Conversion

HID Retrofitter Not Verified Feedback Score 0 3000GTPro's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

Debating a GT to RT Sail Panel Conversion

I have been given a very tempting offer to convert to RT sail panels on my GT for virtually very little money. Just the cost of the sealant for the windows, and maybe to have the RT sails painted, because I think the stealth red and the caracass red on my GT are different shades (correct?).

However, I was originally saving this idea for a future VR4 because that's what I really want. I'm wondering about the possibility that I could be hurting any chance of selling the car seeing how it's NA, it's an automatic, and it doesn't even have all the cool bells and whistles of an SL. Besides that the looks aren't going to be every buyer's cup of tea, could this make the car any more difficult to sell? It's not like I don't like the way the car is now, but it's an opportunity to do a mod that I had been wanting to do for a long time for as cheap as it gets, and now I'm starting to wonder how much I really want it. Obviously this can only be my decision in the end, but I want to hear other people's input.

There are good cars that get you from point A to point B, and then there are great cars, that get you into trouble.

Forum User Feedback Score 0 Scorch's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I've always thought the Stealth sail panels look a lot more modern than the 3000gt ones. I personally really like the sail panels on a 1g GT because I think they fit with the lines better. Either way though I don't think someone is going to look at it and think it looks so much worse because of the conversion. It might even look better to most prospective buyers, it's tough to tell because I've never seen one with a conversion done.

I'd look at it this way though, try it on your cheaper base model, that way if you don't like it, you won't have to mess with the VR4 when you get it, and if you do like it, you'll know exactly how to do it already and avoid making any potential mistakes on the more expensive VR4, and you'll be able to do it more quickly, so the VR4 will be back on the road that much quicker

Member Not Verified Feedback Score 3 (100%) Unknownvr4's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    -Benn
    Master Elite KIA Technician
    Past> Level 3 Chrysler & Bronze level Hyundai
    1994 3000GT VR4 - #175 Black/Black 99 VR4
    2013 135is - 1988 Toyota Supra Turbo - Hers
    Follow my build thread here

Forum User Feedback Score 0 Scorch's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    That does look completely awesome! I wish there were more pictures from different angles but it still looks great.

Member Not Verified Feedback Score 3 (100%) Unknownvr4's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

Another view

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
    I've always thought the Stealth sail panels look a lot more modern than the 3000gt ones. I personally really like the sail panels on a 1g GT because I think they fit with the lines better. Either way though I don't think someone is going to look at it and think it looks so much worse because of the conversion. It might even look better to most prospective buyers, it's tough to tell because I've never seen one with a conversion done.

I'd look at it this way though, try it on your cheaper base model, that way if you don't like it, you won't have to mess with the VR4 when you get it, and if you do like it, you'll know exactly how to do it already and avoid making any potential mistakes on the more expensive VR4, and you'll be able to do it more quickly, so the VR4 will be back on the road that much quicker
    Hmmm...yes, thinking back I think that did cross my mind. Although half of me wants to not experiment on this car, just because I'm not sure there is another 3S like this in the state of CA anymore. I first got the idea from Migstealth of socal, but I don't know if he owns the car anymore. So the idea that it would be different from most other cars in CA is rather attractive to me.

Anyway, here's some more angles I have gathered up from other people:
    Migstealth's NA "GTO"

Stealths converted to GT with RT sails

Not sure if this was originally a GT or a Stealth, but it's almost what my car will look like.

Wut wut? verified Feedback Score 3 (100%) TT4ME's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    You really want a VR4. That said, I'd collect the parts now while you seem to have them for free, and then put them on the VR4 when you get it.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Well the guy needs my quarter windows. I think that's the only reason I'm getting the parts for the cost of the window sealer.

By the way, is the stealth red a different shade than the GT caracass red? I have read they aren't the same shades of red.

Wut wut? verified Feedback Score 3 (100%) TT4ME's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    No matter what, shades of red on 2 18 year old cars won't match up.

I believe new they were different as well.

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) ntcmpjg's Avatar
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I used the red from a 99 3000gt on my 94 stealth matched great cant even tell the difference. The stealths looks better

3000GT of Europe
    www.3sofeu.org/main
    Cherry Hill Mitsubishi Coupon Code- 3SE

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast