Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I am unhappy.

Runs on alcohol. The car does too. Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks

I am unhappy.

I'm at a crossroads, and I don't know what to do. All I know is I can't keep going the same direction.

Here's the deal. I'm sitting at a bar in L.A. The company in which I've put the last four years of my life (based in L.A.) is going downhill. I might be able to help save it, but I need to move fast, and doing so means I would probably have to move to SoCal. That's a big change - I'm in Knoxville, TN.

Not that I'm not working my ass off as is. One of my best friends Paul (green-lantern) I haven't even seen in... weeks? Months? Fuck. I am a shitty friend at the moment.

I meet with our CEO in the morning. I'm basically going to tell her that we're in trouble, and I need a raise to move to L.A. It's not about the money - Los Angeles is expensive. She will probably give it to me.

The alternative is that I can basically sit back and collect another year's worth of paychecks while the company unravels. Then, I look for another job.

How do you make decisions like this? I don't know. I'm 28, unmarried, and I don't know what to do with my life.

Paul if you read this - hope you're doing well.

AEM s2 EMS | E316Gs | E85

3SWiki.org
    Owner Since
    10+ Years

Thanks
    Hey man, I don't know if I can cheer you up at all, but are you able to tell us what part of saving the company would require you to move to LA?

I know all about building a business for years and having it unravel before me. Fortunately, for you, it sounds like other people are involved that (might) be able to help save it too. Do any of them realize the problems you're seeing at the moment?

While I (or others) might not have the immediate solution for you, would I be correct in saying it sounds like you need change in your life? L.A., from everything I've seen, is one massive change in scenery, women and opportunity. If you're not enjoying life at the moment, this change could undoubtably be a blessing in disguise.

What's your thoughts on this?

Runs on alcohol. The car does too. Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Thanks, you dont know how much I appreciate the reply.

Unfortunately if we are going to save this business, I need to move fast. You know how it goes- you get one shot, then its gone. I can work more quickly on-site than I can remotely, from Knoxville. I do think others realize the state we're in. If not, our CEO will when I speak with her tomorrow.

You're right - I do need change in my life. But I would be leaving a lot of friends and family behind in Knoxvillle. People that I love.

Thanks again... I don't open up often.

3SWiki.org
    Owner Since
    10+ Years

Thanks
    It does sound like a difficult position, but in many ways it sounds like you have your answers already.

Just remember that nothing is permanent, and there's a good chance that your CEO might even know something (or have a solution) that you haven't even thought of yet. You (as you described) have a lot of weight on your shoulders, but it also sounds like you could be a hero and save a lot of people's jobs - including your own.

If you do go to LA, plan it as a temporary venture. You're going there to save the business. From there, set up a plan to return (if that is what you want to do - give it time).

In the end, you could find your life completely changed for the better. Maybe you'll meet a girl in LA (there are a LOT of fish in that sea, I promise you). Maybe you'll be able to make the business better, stronger and more stable than it ever was. Who knows, right?

SKADOOSH!!! verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Whatever your choice is Justin I sincerily hope it works out for the best. Perhaps Shaun is right though, if moving to L.A. is an action that will keep your job, and others, think of it as a temporary speedbump in the persuit of happiness. although I'm qute a bit younger and don't quite work in the same field as yourself I can in many ways relate to your current situation. I also may be moving half way around my country to persue a change in life and steady emplyment.

Best wishes;
    Jordan.
    Photobucket

There's is a bit of good in evryone verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    You can't move

Member verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    We will always be here. Just keep in touch. If you can save the company, think of the opportunity it would provide you. I'd miss hanging out with ya, but there are 3S folks out there and you would make friends quickly. If all pans out, the company gets back on it's feet, you could possibly move back in a year or two.

Good Luck with the meeting this morning, keep us filled in buddy

There's is a bit of good in evryone verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Johnson View Post
    We will always be here. Just keep in touch. If you can save the company, think of the opportunity it would provide you. I'd miss hanging out with ya, but there are 3S folks out there and you would make friends quickly. If all pans out, the company gets back on it's feet, you could possibly move back in a year or two.

Good Luck with the meeting this morning, keep us filled in buddy
    I agree with Sean. As much as the TN crew would miss you, you need to do what is best for you.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Do what's best for you...not the company. Sometimes it seems a bit selfish but if you put other people/things in front of your own needs the only thing that will result in is you being miserable.

On the other hand you're young and it doesn't sound like you're really tied down so it might be a good chance for a change if that's what you need. If the company truly needs you you should be able to get some nice perks out of them at the same time.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    If your talents are that necessary to get the company back on it's feet, making that move could / would prove to be quite beneficial for you and your career if your efforts are supported and successful.
    I'd say make the move.
    The water's cold when you only dip your toe in, jump in and it feels great.
    Good luck