Thread: ECU Shot?

Forum User verified Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks

ECU Shot?

So i have had this ecu rebuilt 2 times by AutoComputerExchange.com and it worked for a while after the first failed attempted by them now the car wont start at all. i also can only randomly connect to the ECU with my data logger so im pretty sure its dead

what im looking for is if any one has a circuit diagram of any of the ecu's for VR4 since they will only slightly differ. i might be able to find what is shorted or has gone bad

i know its a real long shot but if any one has even made there own it would help things go faster as of now im just guessing weather its a single sided board or layered.

thanks for any help
    zap

Forum User Feedback Score 2 (100%) Maximal's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I think it's going to be pretty hard to pin down the exact issue. ECU's are getting cheaper and cheaper on here (especially NA's) so you might be able to snag a deal on a used one and get the caps changed before it goes bad.

Forum User verified Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    so i have found firs few problems based on what stealth316's provide pic of a good ecu it looks like the company that rebuilt the board didn't use the right capacitors as well as very cheap even below radio shack quality of caps but as well as removed on accident or purposefully a few things that need to be there ive circled them in red on the pic if we have any electrical engineers that know circuits I'm trying to figure out what they are and what they do so i can replace them thanks for any help

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

PS the original image is stealth316's and has been modified and posted with out his permission any problems with this please let me know and i will remove the image.

Forum User Feedback Score 3 (100%) toddrs93's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I gaurantee the ecu's we reuild, I actually have one here right now from that same place I think, and boy what a mess. They even had several jumper wires soldered in to bypass the board all together. They warrantied it out like 3 times in the past month for the guy but he's getting tired of having the continueing issue so we are looking at it for him.