Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest possible fix

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks

Cheapest possible fix

Hey guys I have a spun bearing but I stopped driving the second I thought something weird was going on (Never drove it with no oil pressure it just dropped dangerously low). My question is what is the cheapest way to get my car back up and going. I know obviously that a full rebuild is the best way and I will do that one day. But, for now I have to have the car running somewhat healthy. So is it possible to just replace that one cylinder? please I am desperate for input. Also I know I am gambling by going a cheap route to fix a serious issue. But I have to have the car at least be able to go 2 miles a day thats about it. thanks and have a good day.

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    The issue is that the bearing material gets fed through the oil system and can do damage in the future unless you do everything 100% the right way

You cant really purchase just one pair of bearings either (at least not that I know of).

How certain are you that its spun?

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    well, I was sitting at a light and noticed that my oil pressure was on the final tick mark before reading 0 then when i began moving the oil pressure picked back up to normal, also I started hearing a funny noise from the engine sounding like a faint banging. but nothing to loud. After I popped my hood to listen I heard a massive air leak from back were I did my vacuum line reduction but I could definantly hear some other foreign noise coming from the engine... it got worse when i revved and it did not change when clutch was pressed. I plan to take it to my shop and get a final diag. I know I could do it myself but with school and work and the holidays I just don't have the time. But I don't think the vac. leak could cause the issue just cause o the oil pressure loss. and the oil pump had 1k miles. and my VSS are bad so I do smoke but I always tried to stay up on the oil level. I was thinking maybe replace the cylinders that the bearings spun on and do new oil cooler and oil parts....

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    That, have the crank turned, and clean the shit out of your heads.

Im not sure you have a spun bearing, has your car ever had lifter tick? I mistook NASTY lifter tick for rod knock a short while ago

EDIT: did the oil light on the dash ever come on?

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    No the oil light on the dash never turned on. I had a friend say it sounded like bearing issues and it got really loud when I pulled boost the one time I did. yes I do have lifter tick.

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Find a replacement engine and put it in. I just spun a bearing from not doing a build right. If you're going to skimp anywhere on the build DO NOT BOTHER. lol.

SKADOOSH!!! verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Ditto. Don't skimp out on a build, replacement engines are a good way to go, but there's the risk of not knowing what kind of condition that engine will be in either. A good way to find out if this is in fact a spun bearing is to drain you oil into some spotless containers and strain it to find out if there is any metal in there. Also, you can drop the pan to see if there is any metal left behind afterward. Me personally, I would clean the shit out of everything. Flush the entire oil system too, it's not nesecary to replace everything as that can get very expensive on it's own. A good way to flush it is to use diesel, or something of the likes. I like to use gas on the parts that don't have any rubber lines.
    Photobucket

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    When you say flush everything are you saying it as in do not replace the oil cooler/pump and other parts when doing the build? Also, I know that skimping on a build is a very neglectful thing to do. I just got done doing a full fuel/turbo/suspension swap on the car. My issue is that I'm moving in a month to my new apartment which is half a mile off campus and I need the car at least able to run for the cold days to class and that way the apartment complex doesn't think it's broke down. It will be a temporary solution until I graduate in a year and can actually make some money. Thats the only reason I am trying to do this on a really thin budget... I am not expecting full horsepower or crazy performance I just need it to go through two stop lights. haha

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    get a bike. theres no quick fix for a spun bearing, i'm sorry. it sucks. mine just went and i need to get back and forth to work. lucky my girlfriend gave me her old cavalier. when you have a 3000gt/stealth/gto... i'd really recommend having another car unless its a SOHC.

The one. The only. verified
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphiron View Post
    get a bike. theres no quick fix for a spun bearing, i'm sorry. it sucks. mine just went and i need to get back and forth to work. lucky my girlfriend gave me her old cavalier. when you have a 3000gt/stealth/gto... i'd really recommend having another car unless its a SOHC.
    Even the SOHC's aren't that reliable as the mileage gets higher.

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM