Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Silver coins--- starting to build a reserve for when the dollar crashes.

New Member supporter
    Owner Since

Thanks

Silver coins--- starting to build a reserve for when the dollar crashes.

So for the past few months ive been buying silver coins. Just 10 or 20 dollars worth here and there. Just protecting myself when the american dollar crashes. Keep on printing the money, that will fix the econonmy, NOT!!! Silver was under $19/ounce at the beginning of this year, now its 27+/ounce

Anyone else?

Member verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    We have the whole set of American Silver eagles 1986-2010 NGC graded MS69. We also have the 2006 Silver Eagle 20th Anniversary set. Then then from about 2005-2010 we have both Early release and regular release NGC MS70 from all the mints. All in all we probably have about 50 oz of silver certified, right next to the P12 .45 ACP . But we also collect gold, although we haven't boughten any since it went over the $1000 mark. We did get a great deal on the 2006 3pc Gold 20th Anniv set though.

I was shocked the other day when I checked silver, I don't follow as closely as gold, and it was about $27 an ounce. I kind of wished we bought that 100oz block of silver back with it was $8 oz all little over a year ago.

| @/|/| +|2()|/| verified
    Owner Since
    December 2009

Thanks
    Im collecting bottle tops ....Im also saving all the change I can.

Twin Turbo verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    LOL my uncle in Canada will be happy then. He bought a stack of silver bullion years ago when the price was very low. Time to sell I think.

Forum User supporter
    Owner Since

Thanks
    The wife and I bought a 100oz bar over a year ago at ~$14/oz. All told we have over 200oz of silver and several kilos of copper.

New Member supporter
    Owner Since

Thanks
    The copper actually suprised me. I checked recently and found it at $3.80/lb. I can cash all my crappier graded wheat coins for atleat 2x face value.

I thought about getting the larger bars of silver but a think having smaller denominations would be better for survival if the us dollar collapses.....its easier to bring a few 90% dimes and quarters to trade for food for a week or ammunition. Yes Im kinda in survival mode here.

Anyone watch the show Best Defense? Its on something like outdoor network and its sponsered by Midway USA. Anyway its awicked pissa show. Its funny someone mentioned their .45 right there. I keep a mossberg 500 & a carbine 9mm "handy".

New Member supporter
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dbest671 View Post
    We have the whole set of American Silver eagles 1986-2010 NGC graded MS69. We also have the 2006 Silver Eagle 20th Anniversary set. Then then from about 2005-2010 we have both Early release and regular release NGC MS70 from all the mints. All in all we probably have about 50 oz of silver certified, right next to the P12 .45 ACP . But we also collect gold, although we haven't boughten any since it went over the $1000 mark. We did get a great deal on the 2006 3pc Gold 20th Anniv set though.

I was shocked the other day when I checked silver, I don't follow as closely as gold, and it was about $27 an ounce. I kind of wished we bought that 100oz block of silver back with it was $8 oz all little over a year ago.
    The silver was crazy 2 or 3 months ago. I went to this little hobby shop near me that advertised coins too so I went there and the little old lady said she only had morgans. I started to look at them and they wer all $60+. So I asked her if she had any regular silver coinage. She said no but pulled out a 1 troy ounce silver bar. She said it was $22. I couldn't pull the cash out of my wallet fast enough because at the time silver jumped 1 dollar in a week and was $23/ounce...and a troy ounce is 1/12th of a pound not 1/16th of a pound. I made like a bandit on that one. If the lady wants to make and not lose money she should buy a paper every now and then.

Member verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    How do you know she didn't make money, she could have bought that bar a long time ago or at an auction. Case in point, went to an auction purchased (2) Silver Eagle proof coins in original gov't packaging for $17/each, silver at the time was around $20oz... We sold those SOBs on eBay for $60/each. And we also bought some gold coins at the auction for well under melt ($100+under), we walked out of the auction a poor but rich. They had some platinum that sold under melt, but we didn't get in on that action.

If I do purchase gold or silver, I always try to get it in coins because they hold their value better. The 2008 Silver Eagle error coins, we got one when they were only $300 (and we thought that was too much then) and now they sell for at least $800 (NGC MS70 ER). Imagine people paying $800 for an ounce of silver, and here I though we were crazy for paying $300.

New Member supporter
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dbest671 View Post
    How do you know she didn't make money, she could have bought that bar a long time ago or at an auction. Case in point, went to an auction purchased (2) Silver Eagle proof coins in original gov't packaging for $17/each, silver at the time was around $20oz... We sold those SOBs on eBay for $60/each. And we also bought some gold coins at the auction for well under melt ($100+under), we walked out of the auction a poor but rich. They had some platinum that sold under melt, but we didn't get in on that action.

If I do purchase gold or silver, I always try to get it in coins because they hold their value better. The 2008 Silver Eagle error coins, we got one when they were only $300 (and we thought that was too much then) and now they sell for at least $800 (NGC MS70 ER). Imagine people paying $800 for an ounce of silver, and here I though we were crazy for paying $300.
    Well she could have made more if she knew. I would have paid $30

Hmmm 2008 error? Do tell. I'll have to take a closer look at mine.... i just recently found a '41 wheat penny ddo that the book says is worth approx $65. Then another wheat with a reverse imprint of lincolns profile on the obverse and into the rim. Error coins are friigin awesome. I need to send these out to anacs or ngc soon.

Member verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I forget the population of error coins, something under 50K I think. They redesigned the reverse of the coin for 2008. But somebody forgot to change the strike plate so some 2008 coins have the reverse of the 2007 coin.

Here is an eBay auction that has the difference: http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-W-REVERSE-0...item3c97f9482b