Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2fnould's build log

Monogamous Gigolo verified Feedback Score 8 (100%) 2fnloud's Avatar
    Owner Since
    October 2009

Blog Entries
    Thanks

2fnould's build log

With all Tang Band speakers on sale 25% off, I finally bought the raw drivers I needed to complete my audio install.

I have always been an audiophile nut, but my 3S is the first car that I have had to take weight into consideration.

Then my best friend threw down the challenge: "Why not do a "stealth" install in your Stealth, make as much of the sound system hidden as possible. Obviously you would notice the new radio, and sub woofer box in the hatch, but hide everything else."

I instantly responded, saying that would be silly. I mainly thought it silly because I always liked displaying my amps and sound processors for show purposes like this:

That was my 2001 Saturn SC2, back to now. I thought about this and the challenge that it would create and it actually sounded like fun, so the next time I saw him I called him a few choice words because my brain was working so overtime about this, it had kept me up at nights.

So the goals:
    1.) Install a sound system that is going to satisfy my audiophile needs, and keep the weight to 150-200lbs.

2.) Install everything that once done you will only see the radio is different, and notice a sub woofer box in the hatch area with the hatch open.

Being that Michigan winter is right around the corner I suspect that this will be a slow process but I will only post updates here, no individual thread for every little thing I do, hope you enjoy.

Let the fun begin!

Owner Since
    October 2009

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Project: Center Channel

I decided that I would bring over the Pioneer equipment that I had in my Saturn, this meant I have 5.1 DTS and Dolby Music II available. So I start with the biggest stealth challenge, getting my center channel without just putting Pioneer's center speaker pod on the dash.

This is what I did with my Saturn and I hated how it looked. Sounded great, just looked too non OEM for my liking. I thought about installing my center channel into the center vents of my Stealth. I read about doing this on Suthnr's 212 HP Stereo page, thanks for sharing Eric, that install is inspiring. So I spent the whole summer with them closed to see if I could do without them, I didn't miss them at all so I picked up another center vent piece and went to work.

The biggest problem was to find a speaker that would fit there and give the fullest sound possible. I based my judgment against the Freq response that the Pioneer speaker pod had, according to Pioneer the speaker pod has a Freq range of 140Hz ~ 30kHz.

I found a Tang Band speaker that has a Freq range of 150Hz ~ 20,000kHz, I figured that this would be close enough plus the shape of this speaker is what appealed to me the most. It's dimensions are 2"x3" with a cutout of 1-13/16" x 3-3/8". I ended up sanding the long side of the speaker flanges down to get them to fit how I wanted but I think I achieved success.

I started by cutting the duct of the center vent like so:

I removed the metal clips that lock this vent into the dash before I cut it in two. After sanding, sanding, and more sanding, I was able to squeeze these into the opening of the vent, it is almost a perfect fit. The grills of the vent lock the speakers from moving forward.

Here is a couple pictures:

I will use Gorilla tape to join the two pieces back together once I get the back half of the vent sealed off and stuffed with Poly fill . I will also take non-drying modeling clay to seal off the backs of the speakers from the front.

Here is a rear shot:

Once I get baffle sealed off, I will wire them up in series and tape the two pieces back together. The best part is this will still remove like it should and I can replace the speakers should I blow them.

I would like to ask the forums opinion on this, should I put black speaker cloth behind the vent grills to hide them more or does this look fine like it is?

Please let me know what you think.
    Last edited by 2fnloud; 11-30-2010 at 09:01 PM.

SKADOOSH!!! verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) J_Parker's Avatar
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Personally, I'd put some grille cloth over them, it'll give it a more stealthy look as if there wasn't anything there unless closely screutenizing. The speakers just look a little bit "too busy" with the grille of the vent being kept in place. Just my $0.02 This sounds like a promising thred, keep up the good work man!
    Photobucket

Forum User verified Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Well now, someone knows what they are doing, (orion and tang band :P)
    I almost sold my brand new still in the shrink wrap orion hcca 225 a bit ago, but I just cant part with it.

Super great idea on the center channel, I wonder how it will all image. +1 on the speaker cloth, behind the vents, infront of the speakers.

Never finishes any verified
    Feedback Score 8 (100%) DrGonzo's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Agreed with the black cloth! It will definitely hide them and give that "Stealth" appearance overall.

Check it out on Youtube!!

93 Stealth TT - The Stealth Project

Renegade Tech Works ECS Controller on Intrax Springs
    Chrome ECU
    Hybrid 13g's
    EVO 560cc Injectors
    Spec Stage 3 clutch
    Ninja Performance Output shaft & Input spool
    Ninja Performance Solid Tensioner & Gates racing T-Belt
    CX Racing Dual Core FMIC
    Megan SS Exhaust
    Fidanza Cam Gears and Clear Covers
    3rd Gen Lifters
    HKS BOV
    K&N FIPK
    Maximal High flow converter
    Walbro FP & FuelLab FPR
    Maximal and Seattle Solid Mounts
    All -6an Lines
    Custom -6AN coolant neck lines
    AWS/ABS/Cruise Delete
    MP Rear Control Arms
    SS Brake Lines
    99 Front Conversion
    2nd gen Rear Bumper
    99 Combat Wing
    Complete interior LED Swap
    Skillard Fuel channel
    Oohnoo FPR Bracket
    More to Come......

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DrGonzo For This Useful Post:

Owner Since
    October 2009

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    On it I was leaning that way even after the post, will not be hard to do.

You like TB speakers huh? wait till I reveal my Sub box

Owner Since
    October 2009

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by x2percentmilk View Post
    Well now, someone knows what they are doing, (orion and tang band :P)
    I almost sold my brand new still in the shrink wrap orion hcca 225 a bit ago, but I just cant part with it.

Super great idea on the center channel, I wonder how it will all image. +1 on the speaker cloth, behind the vents, infront of the speakers.
    Well I am running the now older Orion HP / HCCA amplifiers, they can not be THAT bad because thier price went up like 25% on E-bay AFTER the latest Orion stuff was released.

I am not too concerned about imaging the Pioneer DEQ-P8000 also has timing alignment.

Forum User verified Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Oh mines an old one, i just happened to find it unopened on ebay.

2012.03.28 Feedback Score 0 onyxice's Avatar
    Owner Since
    April 11, 2008

Thanks
    Awesome. lol I've been waiting for this thread.

Owner Since
    October 2009

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Project: Center Channel (finished)

OK I finished up my center channel today. I started with sealing the speaker baffle with clay on both sides, I managed to form the clay on the front side to make the front opening shaped like a horn:

Back side:

Then I took the vents out and covered them. Thanks for the encouragement about this guys, I knew it needed to be done was just eager to get it done. So here is what it looks like now:

VERY "stealthy" right?

At this point I realized that I can not access the retaining clips behind the vent grills to remove the center vent in case I ever need to service the speakers, so I tried installing my center channel without them, turns out that the vent is lodged in the very good and I was able to remove the metal retaining clips.

From there I cut about a 1/2" off the back side of the duct. I didn't want the speaker terminals interfering with the air ducts. I then cut a plug for the rear from a plastic cutting board, glued it into place and added clay to the joint and surface of the duct to reduce any resonance that may have happened otherwise.

You can also see the nuts & bolts i used to make my speaker terminals. I wired the speakers together in series making the Ohm load 8 Ohms and 30 W RMS, I will be powering 100 W RMS to them, I like head room.

Stuffed some poly fill into the enclosure and taped the two halves together with Gorilla tape. Color the "-" nut with a Sharpie this is what the back looks like:

I have been able to audition my creation by hooking it up to my home theater right channel. Gave it a listen for a little bit sounded really good, actually it sounded better than the KLH speaker that I am using for my home theater. Noted this for a possible set of H/T speakers. So I know that this at least sounds decent at 80Htz and above because that is what my H/T speakers are x-over'd at.

Add my 30 bands of digital EQ as well as 2 para-metric channels I THINK I should be able to make it sound incredible.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast