Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: 2fnould's build log

BAD ASS - I've got one Not Verified
    Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    Sunroof = FILTHY!!
    Ranked No. #1 in initial quality

Idiots, simply by being idiots, seem capable of achieving randomly bad things that are beyond the imaginings of sensible people.

Here for the party Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Looking great Cuz!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CoreyB For This Useful Post:

Monogamous Gigolo verified
    Owner Since
    October 2009

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Sunroof = FILTHY!!
    The whole care is filthy

Owner Since
    October 2009

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    More progress:

The remaining filler work will need to wait until it is above 50F, for it is in car work.

Spaceace60 verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fnloud View Post
    I decided that I would bring over the Pioneer equipment that I had in my Saturn, this meant I have 5.1 DTS and Dolby Music II available. So I start with the biggest stealth challenge, getting my center channel without just putting Pioneer's center speaker pod on the dash.

This is what I did with my Saturn and I hated how it looked. Sounded great, just looked too non OEM for my liking. I thought about installing my center channel into the center vents of my Stealth. I read about doing this on Suthnr's 212 HP Stereo page, thanks for sharing Eric, that install is inspiring. So I spent the whole summer with them closed to see if I could do without them, I didn't miss them at all so I picked up another center vent piece and went to work.

The biggest problem was to find a speaker that would fit there and give the fullest sound possible. I based my judgment against the Freq response that the Pioneer speaker pod had, according to Pioneer the speaker pod has a Freq range of 140Hz ~ 30kHz.

I found a Tang Band speaker that has a Freq range of 150Hz ~ 20,000kHz, I figured that this would be close enough plus the shape of this speaker is what appealed to me the most. It's dimensions are 2"x3" with a cutout of 1-13/16" x 3-3/8". I ended up sanding the long side of the speaker flanges down to get them to fit how I wanted but I think I achieved success.

I started by cutting the duct of the center vent like so:

I removed the metal clips that lock this vent into the dash before I cut it in two. After sanding, sanding, and more sanding, I was able to squeeze these into the opening of the vent, it is almost a perfect fit. The grills of the vent lock the speakers from moving forward.

Here is a couple pictures:

I will use Gorilla tape to join the two pieces back together once I get the back half of the vent sealed off and stuffed with Poly fill . I will also take non-drying modeling clay to seal off the backs of the speakers from the front.

Here is a rear shot:

Once I get baffle sealed off, I will wire them up in series and tape the two pieces back together. The best part is this will still remove like it should and I can replace the speakers should I blow them.

I would like to ask the forums opinion on this, should I put black speaker cloth behind the vent grills to hide them more or does this look fine like it is?

Please let me know what you think.

just curious is the center channel just for dvd/video?? as back in the 90's everyone tried experimenting w/center channels and most came to realize most audio(cd's ect music in general is only recorded in 2 channels(left/right) so trying to play audio(not movie audio) through a center channel will kill your stereo imaging! it kinda takes stereo and makes it sound more mono! but ya center channel is cool for dvd/movies ect! also if you get a chance check out the Pioneer stage4 062Prs(2-5/8" mids) they sound awesome and fit perfect in our dash's!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Owner Since
    October 2009

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I am running a 5.1 processor, that also has Dolby music as well, this is WAY different than what was being attempted in the 90's. I appreciate your concern but trust me, I got this.

And please please...PLEASE stop pushing your stage 4 comments, it's getting old.

They do not make them anymore and there are several alternatives that would fit the bill.

And if you want to debate this start your own thread, don't junk up my build log.

I don't bite
    Owner Since

Thanks

2fnould's build log

If you are still debating, I think mesh to hide the speakers more.
    1992 Kilder Green VR4 - First 4G swap in a 3S. 2.0, auto, awd. 9.65 at 143mph. Now LS swapped. 8.52 at 162.

Owner Since
    October 2009

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Been decided and was changed right after I posted:

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 2fnloud For This Useful Post:

Owner Since
    October 2009

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    This unrelenting cold weather has brought my work to a stand still (unheated garage), but I got to thinking about other details of my install, like how my Pioneer radio only has one remote lead for power antenna and amplifiers.

Switching the radios was not an option so I started researching switch options, but I wanted a factory looking switch, my research found this:

It is a antenna switch from a Volvo, it is a two pin switch that is a simple single throw switch, so the wiring is a no brainer.

I removed the cyan optic filter

So now the light that shines through is white:

Trust me it is white. With an amber LED behind this it will match my OEM lighting, and look stock. I will be installing this in the change dish right below the radio, and I can lower my antenna for the other operations now.

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Good find, Steve. It'll be nice to have that extra layer of control over the antenna.
    R135
    ╚╬╬╝

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post: