Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winter Storage

Stealth owner since '91
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Urban Myth? But but but... I was taught that in school many many years ago!
    Hmmm. Let's see what the interwebs say....
    Google turned up a bunch of links, including Myth Busters, that agree with you.
    There does seem to be a kernel of truth to it though, at least in the olden days.
    Here's one of the best explanations, supposedly from Interstate Batteries:
    QUESTION: Will storing my battery on concrete drain the charge?
    No. Regarding today's batteries, this is a myth. A battery placed on concrete will not discharge any faster, but a battery will discharge over a period of time wherever it is placed. If the battery has a surface layer of acid or grime which is conductive, the battery will self-discharge more rapidly than if it were clean and dry.
    This myth does have some historical basis. Many years ago, wooden battery cases encased a glass jar with the battery in it. Any moisture on the floor could cause the wood to swell and possibly fracture the glass, causing it to leak. Later came the introduction of the "hard rubber" cases, which were somewhat porous. A current could be conducted through this container, which had a high carbon content, if the moist concrete floor permitted the current to find an electrical ground. The wise advise of the old days to "not store batteries on concrete" has apparently been passed down to us today, but it no longer applies.
    One thing to remember though is why this used to be true. A poured concrete floor is, literally and electrically, ground. Since an electric charge will discharge into a larger mass, ie ground, any conductive path from the charged parts of the battery to the grounded floor will, over time, discharge the battery. That means its not just between the terminals you need to think about, but any path down the side of the case to the floor as well. In other words clean the whole battery, not just the top, Keep it dry, and when cleaning be sure to use something that does NOT leave a soapy, conductive residue behind.

Thanks for you comment, it inspired me to look that up and any day I learn something is a good day!

Meanwhile, call me an old dog if you will, but I'll continue to slip a board under my batteries..

Forum User
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I've been storing mine over winter months since I bought it 8 years ago. All I do is car cover, then tarp it (cause it's stored under a balcony on my garage with a ghetto fold-a-shed over top of it). Leave the battery in, and just start it up every month or so and let it run for a few minutes after the coolant gets up to temp. I also try to put it in at least first and reverse and drive a few feet to keep all the fluids moving. It doesn't get extremely cold where I was storing it though, maybe down to 20 on a really cold night. I'm not sure of the effects of colder weather than that. I've been able to hop in and start her up every spring since then, first try.

Not A DSM verified
    Owner Since
    June 2006

Thanks
    Personally, I've never used fuel stabilizer and I've never had a problem starting the car in the spring.