Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Transmission help needed ASAP...

Forum User
    Owner Since
    2007 (17 Years old ;)

Thanks

Transmission help needed ASAP...

I just got my new 300m output shaft, t-case and low mile rebuilt tranny (welded vcu) in this week. I'm trying to install the output shaft in the tranny which is still out of the car. The end case isn't coming off. I have a good 1/4" gap but its not prying off. When ever I move the end case the verticle shifter arm will move up and down with the end case. What is stuck what am i doing wrong?

I'm doing this in my room like an idiot because I thought it was going to be a couple hours of work since I about what to do on 3si.... Ya....

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Theres got to be another bolt or smoething holding it on. I know I had that problem with the mid case on my FWD tranny. Give it another thorough lookthrough, they wouldnt have designed something that you could not get at from the outside to take the case off.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to x2percentmilk For This Useful Post:

Owner Since

Thanks
    You have to remove the small cover that holds the shiftrod detent balls and springs, and of course the balls and springs as well-

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Primus101 For This Useful Post:

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    You do realize the input shaft bearing is pressed on right...? You need to either get a big puller on it(my preffered method) or hammer it out.

Real Performance Automotive (541)816-4500 www.FB.com/RealPerformanceAuto

Forum User
    Owner Since
    2007 (17 Years old ;)

Thanks
    ^^^ Which cover? And stupid question I'm sorry but i've never payed attension to transmissions but the shiftrods are the arms that shift gears, the shift linkages connect to them? I have to unbolt those to get to that lil plate thing?

Forum User
    Owner Since
    2007 (17 Years old ;)

Thanks
    So according to the other sight (are we not allowed to say the name) its easier to take off the bell housing then mid case. I think I might need a more thorough walk through though but I'm just haveing trouble getting the SOB seperated. I have unbolted everything around the bell housing and using flat heads to try to pry it up. Then I tried using my extensions.

SKADOOSH!!! verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I just took mine appart.

Take the Snap ring off of the input shaft. Remove the shift levers, they'll give you some grief, but twist and turn them till they come out. It'll make things a hell of a lot easier in the end. Take the small plate off the endcase that has the bearings and springs inside. Remove you spedo sensor and gear shaft for it. And because you already have it appart, I fought with mine for a little bit, but you need to have near exact gap on either side until the dowels are out of their holes. Once you get it appart pull your output shaft directly away from the rest of the gearset until the gears clear then pull straight up.
    Photobucket

Forum User
    Owner Since
    2007 (17 Years old ;)

Thanks
    There's a snap ring around the output shaft? Is it on the inside or outside of the transmission. Can it be reached through the bell housing? And when you say remove the shifter arms, I took off the easy one but that one that actually goes into the transmission that is sitting on that plate... That just pulls out after you unbolt it?

When It comes to spliting the bellhousing from the midcase do I'm able to get one side pretty far apart. The side with the shifter arms doesn't seperate for shit.

SKADOOSH!!! verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AshyBone View Post
    There's a snap ring around the output shaft? Is it on the inside or outside of the transmission. Can it be reached through the bell housing? And when you say remove the shifter arms, I took off the easy one but that one that actually goes into the transmission that is sitting on that plate... That just pulls out after you unbolt it?

When It comes to spliting the bellhousing from the midcase do I'm able to get one side pretty far apart. The side with the shifter arms doesn't seperate for shit.
    No, there's no snap ring for the output shaft, just a bearing and a seal. On the input shaft of the transmission (engine side if you will) There is a snap ring holding the shaft to the bearing, if you take this off it'll simply slide out of the bearing rather than trying to take the bearing with it, it's right behind where the throwout bearing and rlease fork would be. As for the shifter leaver, the vertical control is simple enough to remove. The horizontal however is a little bit of a pain in the ass, you'll have to "wiggle" the leaver and pull up on the plate at the same time. It should pop out, just make sure that you don't lose the spring that's on the end shaft of the mechanism. There should be a bolt to the front side of the shifter that makes manuvering the mechanism a little easier if you take it out as well.

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Aug 15, 2005

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus101 View Post
    You have to remove the small cover that holds the shiftrod detent balls and springs, and of course the balls and springs as well-
    This ^^