Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing new radiator tomorrow. (koyo)

Forum User
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Installing new radiator tomorrow. (koyo)

My car has been running little too hot lately so I desided to do something about it , and the Koyo was cheaper than OEM here, so i decided to go with that one. Are there any problems i may run into? Any installation tips ?

Thanks

Ex 3SI Super Mod verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Just be careful and make sure you don't poke anything through the veins,

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tool Man For This Useful Post:

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by berndern15gto View Post
    I have the same koyo and when I installed it I didnt know about the condensor bolt,

poke I nice hole in the koyo and had to jb weld it.

Ah that sucks! Yah we just banged it a few times with rubber mallet and it moved slightly so we could fit in the Koyo without rubbing.

I see the low temp tstat. You really need to think about changing the temp the fans kick on. Also make sure there are NO leaks in your system.

Coop

Forum User
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DCIV View Post
    I see the low temp tstat. You really need to think about changing the temp the fans kick on. Also make sure there are NO leaks in your system.

Coop
    good point I´m second gen is there an easy way to make the fans kick in earlier.

fans are designed to be used while in stop/traffic and thermostat is what should regulate my temperature while moving. so when I come to stop temp will rise until the fans kick on and cooler thermostat do no good but I dont see it as a problem or is it ?
    Last edited by mb7050; 09-12-2010 at 11:14 AM.

wanderlust
    Owner Since

Thanks
    mmmmm i had to shave down ac compressor line bolts and modify the stock brackets. plus i used a piece of thin cardboard on the front side of my koyo when installing to protect the fins till mounted/fastened. able to keep the stock fans. hood shuts fine. but i'm a first gen.

Quote Originally Posted by mb7050 View Post
    good point I´m second gen is there an easy way to make the fans kick in earlier.

fans are designed to be used while in stop/traffic and thermostat is what should regulate my temperature while moving. so when I come to stop temp will rise until the fans kick on and cooler thermostat do no good but I dont see it as a problem or is it ?
    The fans and tstat are designed to work together. At this point I would link you to trevors thread.....

Coop

Woot! supporter
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I cannot remember if the Koyo has the same issue as the other larger than stock rads if so the mounting points do not line up with the stock ones as the rad sits a little higher so either a different bracket is needed or a few washers to raise the stock upper brackets. Don't worry about having the fans coming on earlier.
    Just make sure to burp the system when your filling it so you don't have any air trapped.
    Hope it cures your running a little hot issue.

1st ever COTM and COTY verified
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bridge View Post
    mmmmm i had to shave down ac compressor line bolts and modify the stock brackets. plus i used a piece of thin cardboard on the front side of my koyo when installing to protect the fins till mounted/fastened. able to keep the stock fans. hood shuts fine. but i'm a first gen.
    This!

The AC line stud will poke a mean ass hole in it if you don't watch it. I had to grind mine down to mount the radiator properly.

Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    I bet she smells of old mustard and sawdust.
    Jeremy

Forum User
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DCIV View Post
    The fans and tstat are designed to work together. At this point I would link you to trevors thread.....

Coop
    I know that thread some valuable information there...

"With the mugen it warms up quickly to 163F then hangs there for awhile until it warms up the radiator. Once everythings warmed up it runs about 172-178F while moving. When I'm stopped the temp goes up some but comes right back down as soon as I start moving again or the first fan kicks on low. "

"Yeah...I don't have those fan swicthes on a 96. I think its all computer control based on the ECM's temp sensor in the water housing.

I'm not too worried about it. If I idle for a LONG time it will finally get to 204F and kick on the first low speed fan for a 45 seconds or so until temps get down to about 196F. As soon as I start moving temps drop back down to the low 180's when its 85F outside. "