Thread: FS-1991 JDM Mitsubishi Diamante 30RSE

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks

FS-1991 JDM Mitsubishi Diamante 30RSE

Never thought I’d do this, but my beloved JDM Diamante is up for sale. Over the last 10 months I’ve had this car I’ve bought it back from going to the wreckers and just getting wrecked, which I’m damn proud of. But right now in my life I need to concentrate on other things, and having 2 car’s to constantly fiddle with is just doing my head in. I’ll start with the good points, and end with what needs improvement and/or to be fixed.

Just a quick run down on the extremely rare and sought after Diamante;
    Model - 1991 Diamante Sedan 30R-SE (3rd highest trim level possible)
    Engine - Mitsubishi’s famous “222HP stereo” DOHC 3L 24v, slightly de-tuned to 151kw.
    Transmission - 4 speed FWD with O/D, PWR, and HOLD.
    4 wheel steering.
    Drivers and passengers electric, and captains chairs.
    Folding side mirrors
    Fully working electric sunroof
    Slide out cupholders
    Swinging centre air vents
    Rare as anything digital climate control (A/C to freeze your balls off)
    Japanese parking lights on top of front guards.
    Cruise control
    Electric mirrors and windows.
    Height adjustable and telescopic steering wheel.
    Leather wrapped steering wheel and automatic shifter.
    Foot handbrake.
    Traction control.
    ABS
    Photocromatic rear view mirror
    Rear windscreen wiper.
    Automatic headlights
    Fog lights.
    Genuine JDM floor mats in fantastic condition
    Factory fitted Mistubishi Boot mounted 6 stacker CD player with wired remote control.

List of new parts installed since I’ve owned it;
    Brand new OEM Koyo Radiator
    Brand new top and bottom radiator hoses.
    Brand new thermostat
    Brand new engine temp sensor.
    Brand new Gates timing belt
    Brand new timing tensioner and idle pulleys
    Brand new water pump.
    Rocker cover gaskets
    Brand new Frond DBA disc’s
    Rear disc’s machined (HEAPS of meat left good for 50K at least)
    Brand new brake pads all around.
    Regular oil changes every 5K or 6 months.
    Flushed cooling system with new coolant
    Flushed power steering system with new fluid
    Flushed braking system with new fluid
    Automatic transmission flushed with brand new OEM fluid and filter/gasket.
    Brand new Bosch drive belts
    Brand new front tie rod ends
    Brand new rear sway bar links
    Brand new lower rear Nolathane bushings (expensive buggers)
    All new windscreen wipers.
    Brand new MAXXIS front tyres (2-3K on them still brand new)
    Rear tyres still 50% left
    Brand new ACdelco air filter.
    Brand new OEM fuel filter.
    Brand new copper spark plugs.
    Brand new NGK oxygen sensor.
    New oil cap and radiator cap

Also a few other features and a bit of history on it from me. When I got this car it was in a very sore and sorry state. My aim was, with such few of them around to bring it to near new condition as best as I could. I really thought I’d have hold of this car for much longer, unfortunately things change.
    The wheels for instance have been fully stripped, and repainted in 2PK and then baked. Pretty sure you will never find a set of these alloys in the country in such good condition. The body itself received a 90% complete respray. Only the lower halves of the doors were not touched due to time constraints on the project. This in itself was a very expensive venture for me and again, one of the few 2nd gen shape car’s in Australia to have paint. Interior was pieces back together bit by bit as well as general servicing. You’ll struggle to not only find a diamante in this country, let alone this, which is probably our best example.

More goodies I installed;
    JVC CD player (Plays MP3 one of my favourite JVC player’s never missed a beat)
    15% tint all around
    Front rocker cover is painted gloss white, Intake manifold wrinkle finish black
    Sports muffler with OEM style twin rolled edge tips
    380 washer nozzles
    Brand new supercharge 600CCA battery with brand new battery terminals and connectors (over $220 worth++)

Moving onto the points which need some work.
    Obviously it’s a 20 year old car and there are still some things which need some work.
    Front driveshaft boots are shot. I will be replacing the entire driveshafts soon with reco’s ($220 on my part) although this will be early next year I will be doing this (due to time) so if anyone is keen and wish’s for me to not put them in, let me know.
    Seats are horrible. - I have a genuine JDM leather interior on it’s way for this car. Again, if the buyer wish’s for the interior to not be included (as it’s not here yet) we can work something out.
    The transmission - It’s not typical for this to happen but I’m truthful in products I sell. A bit slippy when cold, when it’s warm she’s fine. Does have 260K on her but so far, so good.
    The engine - If you take the rocker covers off, you will possibly never see an engine as old as this one in as good of nick as it is inside. I’m talking both the heads were CLEAN, with a slight oily brown finish to the heads - I’ve never seen heads on a car this old so clean myself! However, The front head does have a blown gasket and I’m pretty sure it’s between cyl 1 and a water jacket. The hole has been temporarily fixed (and the cooling system flushed pre new water pump) and it’s held up just fine. A new head is awaiting some valve lapping in the meantime, and a whole gasket set is here waiting too.

Sunroof - Ever since I’ve serviced it, It’s never wanted to sit flush again. Yeah, doesn’t look the best, but honestly - it doesn’t leak any water. I’ve driven though some heavy rain and even though there is a small hole, there’s no water. This again is down to time and I can tell you how to go about fixing it to the best of my knowledge.

Traction control has never worked. I have no idea where to start looking and honestly it’s that big of an issue and doesn’t effect the workings of the car.
    The paintjob on a few areas needs a good buff to bring out the lustre of the clearcoat. A dayjob at hand I just don’t have the time for.

The digital LCD in the dash sometimes likes to work, other times doesn’t. I call a dry solder joint, I just don’t know where to start looking. Again, doesn’t effect the workings of the car. Also has a seatbelt error display randomly, I can explain in more detail why, Again, just another thing I need to fix and haven’t had the time for

Now, this car was STRINGENTLY RWC’d only 10 months ago and I can tell you now what will need to be done (suspension, driveshaft boots at minimum) but upon agreement I can get a RWC anyway and go from there. The car will be presented for RWC in its current state. If it’s fails due to height you will still be getting the king springs superlow front springs and compressed rear springs at no extra cost ($240++++)
    Fuel economy is a big issue here. It’s running rich somewhere and I’m still to find out where. I’ve just replaced the engine temp sensor so we’ll see how that goes, but something is making it run rich and needs to be sorted out.

Prices. I am flexible here depending on what you want.
    I have a heap of spare parts aswell which is why this is just a deal too good to be true.
    $6000 - Car, RWC + Spare automatic transmission AND a spare 3L DOHC 24v 95% complete motor (missing some nuts and bolts) This engine ALONE is worth over $800. I’ll also throw in some other Mitsubishi parts you might need like some IAC motors and a PTU ($200 new OEM)
    This depending on when it’s sold will include the front head READY to bolt on, and a brand new Complete gasket set top to bottom - another $500 worth of parts. (head has been machined, crack tested, cleaned, and will be getting valves lapped)
    $5500 - Car, RWC. No parts
    $5000 - Car - No RWC - take it as is

Despite it’s flaws to someone with a bit more time then me will be able to bring this back to new condition. And i can tell you now compared to when i got it, theres about 20% of the work left.

I’ve thought about the price alot. There is this car, or for about $1000 less you can buy a TR SE 4cyl, or a base model high km 3rd gen. The amount of features this car has, not one 3rd gen even comes close to matching it. Not one. And I’m damn proud of the fact of where this car came from, and where it sit’s today.

All inspections and test drives welcome, although from now till the end of the year time is very scarce. New year will be alot better. Happy to answer any questions on here or via PM/MSN/Mobile.
    I think I’ve covered everything but if I’ve missed something it will be added.

This is truly a one of kind car here in australia which turns ALOT of heads. It's a lowline sleek cruiser with heaps of power to boot when needed. I will miss this car like the world when it's gone but I need to concentrate on my red car and not so much my DD.
    Last edited by TUFFTR; 11-25-2010 at 08:03 PM.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    imo trade both and get a GTO :P.

Im actually looking for a cheap Vr-4 magna to rally. I should go sus the magna forums

Twin Turbo verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    No such thing as a vr-4 magna... assume your talking about a Galant? if so head to ozvr4.org

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    At 1700kg its not really suited to rally and i want this to go to a home that'll take care of it.

VR4 Galants rule rally, here is my old one:

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    yea i meant galant...and it's true...last rally i was in a galant won the event...against evo's and wrx's

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    nice pics btw dude
    Got dust!!! were you in the outback or something?

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Hey - mind PM'ing him :P

Roo fuckers anonymous verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I need a cheap daily. Hows about $1000?

Looks real nice mate. Good luck with the sale.

Scotty