Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am never going to get a job.

Member verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) blindmist's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Aug 15, 2005

Thanks

I am never going to get a job.

Been applying to places here and there since mid-August. I have really buckled down and applied to a lot of places since late October.

I have kept a tally on how many applications and resumes that I have turned in. Since August 17th of this year, I have turned in an application of some sort to a total of 51 different places. I have had 3 interviews. The most common response I receive is that they are going to start hiring within the next 4 weeks, although, I have yet to get a single call back on any of the applications that I turned in in August and the first week of October.

I have applied at just about every place you can think of. I have applied at a HVAC place, Car Audio, Texas Roadhouse (steak house), Home Security installer, Dish network installer, park ranger, tire technician, you name it.

I really don't know what to do any more. I have been walking to as many places as I can, and saving as much fuel as possible. I missed all of my monthly payments for this month, and I am sinking fast.

Any suggestions as to what the hell is going on?

Member verified Feedback Score 6 (100%) dbest671's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    If you are desperate, you may want to try any kind of retail. It is the holidays and retail shops are hiring for the seasonal rush. If you can prove your worth keeping, then you might land a real job within the company. It is rough right now, so really ANY job you can get is better than nothing.

DR-750 club Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) FeaRpb's Avatar
    Owner Since
    I could drive.

Thanks
    Remember, jobs are easier to find when you have one, get a job for a little bit somewhere like walmart and keep applying
    July 2014 COTM
    We follow the earth. The earth follows the stars. The stars know their way and though the body dies. The stars will remain, like the waves of the sea and restless slate.

Monogamous Gigolo verified
    supporter
    Feedback Score 8 (100%) 2fnloud's Avatar
    Owner Since
    October 2009

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Also, have you called any of these places back after 5 to seven days after the interview? Doing so does show a level of assertiveness.

Forum User verified Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Retail. Maybe check any job fairs? Talk to all your friends, honestly it sucks but unless you have a good word from others they may look over your application.

Forum User verified Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Man its not just you... I just graduated with my masters in architecture and every firm I have talked to across the country says they don't see any hiring happening in the near future. student loans are going to kick my ass come dec 21st... this is totally lame.

| @/|/| +|2()|/| verified Feedback Score 6 (100%) terrets's Avatar
    Owner Since
    December 2009

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fnloud View Post
    Also, have you called any of these places back after 5 to seven days after the interview? Doing so does show a level of assertiveness.
    Agreed. ^

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Modern 3kGT View Post
    Man its not just you... I just graduated with my masters in architecture and every firm I have talked to across the country says they don't see any hiring happening in the near future. student loans are going to kick my ass come dec 21st... this is totally lame.
    Worst part of this is that even if you file bankrupt you can not ever get rid of student loans. They will always haunt you. In an economy like this if you can you are much better off paying for college on unsecured credit, any type that you can dump with a bankrupt file. Or if you can get unsecured credit pay off those student loans with unsecured credit, then wait 9 months, that is how far back they will track to see what you did with that money, then file bankrupt and wipe out those loans.

Of course your best action is to get a good paying job that will allow you a standard of living and enable you to pay back the loans. But that is not so easy in an economy like this. It should be noted that we are talking about extreme actions required by an extreme economy. This extreme economy only happens once in a 100 years.

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Don't smoke weed. Be persistent. I fell on hard times as well, and while I don't smoke, I do know that most good jobs do test. Give it up and be relentless in your quest for a new job.

Member verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) blindmist's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Aug 15, 2005

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by onebadmollafolla View Post
    Don't smoke weed. Be persistent. I fell on hard times as well, and while I don't smoke, I do know that most good jobs do test. Give it up and be relentless in your quest for a new job.
    Passing a drug test isn't an issue. Piss tests are retarded easy to fake. Secondly, I haven't even gotten to the point of getting to take a piss test yet.

The 3 interviews that I have had all ended with "I have no job that I feel comfortable putting you in", even when I say I will take just about anything. I always call the 2nd day after I turn in the application in an attempt to schedule an interview. It is just that no one is biting.
    Last edited by blindmist; 11-23-2010 at 03:27 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast