Thread: Starter Relay

Padawan garage troll Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) Roybatty's Avatar
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Starter Relay

Turn key and not much happens. Not getting the 3 cliks. Tested the starter relay and it failed continuity between pin 1 and 2 with power not supplied.

While I am waiting for the new starter relay, can I jump the plugs to see if the starter/solenoid is okay?

I am not well educated on reading the circuit diagrams from the manual, but it seems like I should be able to jump 2 to 4 to get it to start...any advice would be appreciated, TIA
    91 AWD TT
    K&N FIPK, Precats gutted, Test Pipe, Blitz DSBC, Walbro 255, Vacuum reduction, SM3, MMCd, Krank Vents, 3SX Aluminum Crank Pulley, Aluminum 2PC DS, MAFT Pro (AFC mode atm).

To do list: Need to check electronic timing, install FP hotwire, install PS poly MM, RUACAs, Setrab oil cooler, Dejon Y-pipe, 3.5 GM Mas, FIC 650ccs & 13Ts.

Stealth owner since '91 Feedback Score 0 Steve '92ES's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I don't really have an answer for you, but I did notice something when I looked in the manual.
    The pin-outs in the schematic are different than what's shown in the diagram next to the test procedure. Also, I can't make heads of tails out of that test. Apply power to one side of the coil, and ground one of the contacts? Huh? I suspect this is another "something got lost in translation" page...
    Either way I wouldn't go jumping anything until you confirm exactly what goes to what. I also wouldn't put a lot of faith in that test....

Sure it's not just the clutch switch?

Forum User Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    If you put the key in the on position and jump the two proper pins, the starter should operate. You can pull the starter and bench test it to check the solenoid or you can jump + voltage from the big red wire to the small one on the starter under the car (I wouldn't do that). Big positive wire always has battery voltage and the relay operates the small one.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RL7 For This Useful Post:

Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve '92ES View Post
    I don't really have an answer for you, but I did notice something when I looked in the manual.
    The pin-outs in the schematic are different than what's shown in the diagram next to the test procedure. Also, I can't make heads of tails out of that test. Apply power to one side of the coil, and ground one of the contacts? Huh? I suspect this is another "something got lost in translation" page...
    Either way I wouldn't go jumping anything until you confirm exactly what goes to what. I also wouldn't put a lot of faith in that test....

Sure it's not just the clutch switch?
    I attached the information from manual I am looking at.

Please describe/show locations of clutch switch.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Owner Since

Thanks
    Couldn't get your diagrams to open, Adobe says they're corrupt.
    What manual are you using, I have the '91 Stealth factory manual. I might already have the diagrams.

The clutch switch is on the clutch pedal. There are two switches, one for the cruise control that activates near the top to shut the CC off as soon as you start pushing the clutch, the other is the safety switch that disables the starter unless the clutch is all the way in. (USA cars only, not sure if other countries have this)
    You should be able to hear a faint click when you push the clutch in, right before you hit bottom.
    If you can't hear the click try adjusting the floor mat and anything else that might be interfering with the pedal. If that doesn't work you can unplug the switch, its cleverly designed to work without the switch (like I said, other countries don't have this "feature". It was designed to be added on so removing it enables the starter...)
    Be careful if you disconnect the switch, if you start the car in gear without pushing the clutch in the car will lurch forward into whatever is in front of it. I know, I'm nagging but I've found that its really easy to develop bad habits and forget all about that..

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve '92ES For This Useful Post:

Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Got it to turn over, its only the starter relay that is bad. FWIW, you can jump receptacle 1 to 3 to complete the circuit to the starter; where the starter relay plugs in. Thanks for the replies all.

On a side note I installed the click click click 100% fix from the other website, but removed it, it did not solve any issues for me.

@Steve, you may need the latest adobe reader for those files, also I need all the helpful reminders I can get to avoid SNAFUs.

Owner Since

Thanks
    FWIW, you can jump receptacle 1 to 3 to complete the circuit to the starter; where the starter relay plugs in.
    Great, another relay drawn wrong in the schematics. (the schematics show pins 4-2) I found another one while ago, I think it was the headlight relay.
    Be careful with these relays folks!