To be honest, I don't know if anyone has come up with this yet, but I always wanted to get a CAI without the worry of sucking up water if I ever had to drive in the rain. I wanted something that could be easily disconnected at will, and without having to move the air filter, or use any tools to do so. It would also be something anyone can put together with a few simple tools that I'm sure most of us if not all of us have access to, as well as being a design that requires little to no modification to the body or frame work at all. And I think I have found a way to do it.

I prefer to call it a CAD for Cold Air Duct for the reason the filter is in the factory location, but still sucks in air as cold air intake.

First I used a $10 extend-able aluminum tubing from Home Depot to get and idea of the best way to route 3-4 diameter piping to the air filter, and the overall length of the piping.

Made a custom sleeve from 2 slabs of HDPE plastic cut to shape to fit over the bumper inlet.

Got all the intake hardware I needed from Spectre Performance through my local Pep Boys (cheaper than ordering through their website for me), and got a Weapon-R bottom feed coolant tank to make room for the larger 4 inch diameter flex tubing. I decided to go with 4 inches do to the air resistance that comes with the unavoidable 4 90 degree turns I had to make to connect it to my stock intake.

All of this can be done for about the same or less the the DNP Intake you could buy from 3SX after shipping (apparently they stopped selling it). You can use it various different ways thanks to some of the Spectre products that I have never seen anywhere else, so just about anyone should be able to do their CAI based on their needs from it. This design was inspired by the custom CAI design I saw in Eric's car seen on 3SX. The only thing left to do is get the car on a dyno someday, and see what the difference is. The only results I have is from driving the car on the street, and though small they may be, there is a difference.