Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: S13 SR20DET Build Thread 400whp goal

S13 SR20DET Build Thread 400whp goal

So I figured I would catalog my build on this site also.

I just picked up my friends 240sx project for a steal of a price. The car has about 200 miles on the rebuild. But first, a short story.

12/2007- He first purchased the car from a guy in Houston, TX. We got the car home, realized it was running on 3 cylinders, he accelerated his plans for the swap.

04/2008- Swap completed by a local shop. We attempted to do it at first but we ran into a few problems, some due to inexperience, some due to lack of tools. 4 days after the swap was complete, the engine overheated and blew a head gasket and cracked a rocker arm. The car was down for months before he finally decided to learn how to fix it. We also find out that the shop did a shitty job on the wiring harness.

Late summer 2008- We finally finished fixing the blown hg. Due to work and lack of motivation it sat for a while. 3 days after this the car jumps timing, apparently we screwed up when putting the cams back in. The car sits till late 2009.

07/2009- I move back from new jersey, kick my friend in the pants. He is debating between doing a rebuild or starting from scratch with a new sr20det. I convince him to go for the rebuild. We drop the block and heads off to the machine shop and have the following installed/done.

Block and head decked/hot tanked
    .20 overbore
    Port/polish heads
    3 angle valve job
    Apexi metal HG
    ARP head studs
    BC 264 cams
    BC valves/retainers/springs
    Clevite bearings
    BC rods
    CP 9:1 pistons
    Rocker arm stoppers

01/05/2010- Got the engine back from the machine shop. Started putting the accessories on it and getting the car ready to recieve it. Also got a blitz nur spec exhaust.

01/30/2010- Engine is in, car cranks, etc. Everything is golden.

At this point the my friend hears a slight noise in the valve cover, so he lets it sit for a few months because hes not sure what it is. We determine that its probably the lifters with air in them, because its a fresh rebuild and we trust the reliability of the machine shop, but unlike most hydraulic lifters, the sr20 lifters dont bleed off over time, they must be taken out and manually bled. My friend has a newborn, full time job, etc and gets tired of the car. Hes also still paranoid about it after all the stuff he went through (and all the money). He buys a fox body mustang and decides to sell the car. I tell him he better give me first dibs on it. So buy the car, and over the next few months ill iron out all the kinks, get a turbo and fuel w/management, and own face.

Things to do.

1. Take out the lifters and bleed them
    2. Install the WB02 gauge that came with the car.
    3. Change the brakes and get new tires
    4. Buy a new wiring harness
    5. Turbo, fuel injectors, tune

Future plans
    Wheels and tires (at least 10" on the rear)
    Full suspension
    Paint and body

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Shiny... Around here there's not too many clean looking 240's. Finish it up right and enjoy it!
    R135
    ╚╬╬╝

yeah, the clear has oxidized a bit from sitting. theres a spot on the hood and a spot on the roof. im probably going to do a cheap rustoleum job on it. not trying to make it a show car, just dont want it to look like crap.

Member Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Why the SR20? You should have just kept the KA in there and built AND KA-T it. OH, a few more things.. I live in LA too so shout out if you need help and join our group i just invited you to

What computer you going to throw in? If you go GReddy Emanage, i can tune it out for you.
    -Benn
    Master Elite KIA Technician
    Past> Level 3 Chrysler & Bronze level Hyundai
    1994 3000GT VR4 - #175 Black/Black 99 VR4
    2013 135is - 1988 Toyota Supra Turbo - Hers
    Follow my build thread here

the KA had problems, and the sr has more aftermarket. the car wasnt mine then, i just bought the car a few days ago.

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tabasco122 View Post
    the KA had problems, and the sr has more aftermarket. the car wasnt mine then, i just bought the car a few days ago.
    Not to mention the KA is a truck motor. Not to say you can't do anything with it but the SR is a far better route. Looks like you guys are making great progress.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    looking good, great little cars. take care of that lil bastard and she will take care of you.

Yep, as much as i miss my 3s, and as much as i would like a vr4, its just too complex and expensive to upgrade. the 240 should be a high 10 second car after i finish, to get that in a vr4 would take a crap ton of cash.

Member Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks

I kid i kid.. lol
    Last edited by Unknownvr4; 09-12-2010 at 04:01 PM.