Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IC heat soak discussion and solutions

Forum User
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks

IC heat soak discussion and solutions

I noticed this summer that my car heat soaks pretty fast after mediate / hard driving or driving in heavy traffic.

We all know this robs your engine HP until it cools down again .

I have already purchased bigger Icīs but Iīm thinkin maybe it isnt enough because in traffic Icīs work more like heat sinks rather than intercoolers.

Iīm thinking of mounting spal fans and ic water sprays I want it all to be automatic so Iīm using this controller ( http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0527&P=1 ) when this controller detects its necessary to cool down the system itīll switch on the fans and the water spray simultaneously ..

I have everything needed fans, 220 psi water pump, lines etc. etc but where could I find water nozzles that could create very fine mist and flow around 150-300 ml/h each ?
    Last edited by mb7050; 12-09-2011 at 07:09 AM.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    or just ditch this idea and install water / meth injection
    I was just reading this. Meth is also VERY cheap here...

"
    Benefits Of Water Methanol Injection:

Lower air charge temperatures by 40-200+ degrees
    Increase your fuel’s octane by 10-25+ points
    Increase horsepower safely by 10-15%
    Allows you to safely run more boost and timing
    Removes carbon build-up from combustion chambers, pistons and valves
    Longer more stable combustion expansion and progression
    Reduces and helps eliminate engine damaging detonation and pre-ignition
    No need for expensive racing fuel or additives

Lower Air Charge Temperatures By 50-200+ Degrees
    By injecting a fine mist of water methanol directly into the engines incoming air charge has a substantial cooling effect. As the water methanol injection mixes with the hot incoming air charge, it quickly converts from a liquid state to a gas state (steam). In doing so, it absorbs significant amounts of heat from the air charge. Depending on the build of the motor, whether naturally aspirated, supercharged or turbocharged; intercooled or non-intercooled, decreases in air charge temperatures will vary between 50-200+ degrees with cylinder temperatures dropping as much as 300 degree’s.

When combined with engines already out-fitted with air-to-air or air-to-water intercoolers, users will experience lower decreases (approx. 40-80+ degrees) in air charge temperatures due to the intercooler already removing a large portion of the heat from the air charge. While initial air temperature drops are not as significant as non-intercooled engines, lower overall air charge temperatures are achieved. Testing has shown that when combined with either air-to-air or air-to-water intercoolers on supercharged or turbocharged engines, nearly all the negative added heat from the supercharger or turbocharger can be removed. Imagine running 8-14 PSI without any of the added heat from the supercharger or turbocharger. That’s safe reliable horsepower on pump gas!

Increase Your Fuels Octane By 10-20+ Points
    Many of you will be surprised by this. When injected properly, water alone will not only significantly cool down the air charge temperatures, but will also act as a very high-octane booster. Read that again if you need too. Researchers estimate up to a 20-point raise in octane can be achieved by using water injection with 87-93 octane gas. No need for expensive racing fuels or octane boosters. A simple water injection system will significantly cool down your air charge temperatures, while dramatically increasing your fuels octane. The best part is, water is free and racing gas is notoriously expensive.
    "

Forum User
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AEM-3...Q5fAccessories

pretty cheap setup too with built in fail safe damn.

Member Not Verified
    Owner Since
    '09

Thanks
    Water sprayers on the intercooler is the only thing that will cool them down, a water/meth kit will indeed cool the air charge giong into the engine but the intercoolers will still be heatsoaked.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    yes but water / meth Lower Air Charge Temperatures By 50-200+ Degrees I think that would be enough .

Forum User
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    or I could do both then I would have to install separate tank for the water / meth.

Member Not Verified
    Owner Since
    '09

Thanks
    Water/meth systems usually come with a seperate tank. If it was me I would mount the w/m tank in the trunk somewhere and use the windshield fluid tank for the intercooler sprayers.

Just make sure you have access to methanol beforehand.

Old Timer verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    What temps do you see at the throttle body and how much boost are you running? I have DSM sidemounts with meth/water injection and 19t's. I see 130 degrees +- at 20lbs of boost depending on outside temps. I use pump gas and I don't see any significant knock. I think this is less complicated than trying to cool your intercoolers unless you're looking to go all out.
    It's a '99 VR4 with an SL wing,19T's, 720cc Inj, DSM SMIC, AEM EMS, Modified exhaust, PPE Hi Flo Cat, Aquamist 2S, and other supporting MODS.

the BOSS of jellow supporter
    Owner Since
    May 2005

Thanks
    when my car back in one peice, I should have water spraying on intercoolers, oil cooler and possibly power steering fluid cooler. with manual switch and intake air temp gauge

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I fitted aquamist water/meth injection and the difference is very noticable, I would certainly recommend fitting it to any turbo engine, I'm running 50/50 mix water/methelyted spirits, I was lucky and brought a used Aquamist, at the time I was looking at a new AEM setup with their new water pump which looked very good!