Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: iPad as CarPC/Digital Climate Control

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Aug 15, 2005

Thanks

iPad as CarPC/Digital Climate Control

I had an idea. I did a little searching. I had another idea.

Let's start with this.

http://www.rwichmann.com/2009/08/26/...duino-and-dmx/

Basically what this is, is a wifi connected iPhone running an app to control an arduino controller to handle the lights. I thought this would be pretty cool to have in the vr-4 so you could essentially have mood lighting. I thought this would be cool to have for like drive-in movies and such. Then I thought about having an iPad as a CarPC. It basically has all of the functions a car-pc needs.

The iPad is

Height: 9.56 inches (242.8 mm)
    Width: 7.47 inches (189.7 mm)

This would have a conflict with the DCC. Then I thought about removing the DCC, and using the existing arduino controller to talk to the DCC controller and have the iPad act as the controller. You could even write the app to have the screen images that you would normally have for the DCC. Even the buttons!

So, I am asking, how difficult would this really be to accomplish? It can't really be that difficult to write a program that can handle this for an iPad would it?

| @/|/| +|2()|/| verified
    Owner Since
    December 2009

Thanks
    Very cool idea. The language seems to be just like Java. If you did all the work to figure out how the controller works, I dont think it wouldnt be that bad . Theres a good possibility of coding a program to control the ECS or AA also...

Man I need to start programming again maybe we can work on something .
    Last edited by terrets; 11-13-2010 at 07:48 AM.

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I've always thought it would be cool to replace my entire dash with a few touch screens that way I could drag my gauges where ever I wanted. It would require a lot of programming and making a few circuit boards to control all the gauges, switches, and radio via USB. It would be worth it because if someone came up with a kit that was plug and play for windows you'd get a lot of buyers. The Telsa sedan has one: http://gizmodo.com/5204805/tesla-mod...oard-in-action It's fucking sweet.
    Last edited by Amphiron; 11-13-2010 at 09:36 AM.

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Aug 15, 2005

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphiron View Post
    I've always thought it would be cool to replace my entire dash with a few touch screens that way I could drag my gauges where ever I wanted. It would require a lot of programming and making a few circuit boards to control all the gauges, switches, and radio via USB. It would be worth it because if someone came up with a kit that was plug and play for windows you'd get a lot of buyers. The Telsa sedan has one: http://gizmodo.com/5204805/tesla-mod...oard-in-action It's fucking sweet.
    I was more thinking of just DCC and Audio via the 30-pin dock connector. Adding in gauges and the sort is a whole different level. lol. The iPad has built in gps, and I have a wifi puck for Clear with 13.1MBPS WiMAX.

Keep posting suggestions people. We can do this!

Member verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    If you know how to program C/C++, the arduino is super simple to program. You'd probably need to write a serial interface between the iPad and arduino (probably via a USB->Serial chip) and just send commands to the arduino to control a solenoid that's attached to the climate control mechanisms. I've wanted to do something like this because it would be stupid easy, but don't have the time with college and work.
    '92 Dodge Stealth RT/TT - Aug. 2012 COTM

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Aug 15, 2005

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Man View Post
    If you know how to program C/C++, the arduino is super simple to program. You'd probably need to write a serial interface between the iPad and arduino (probably via a USB->Serial chip) and just send commands to the arduino to control a solenoid that's attached to the climate control mechanisms. I've wanted to do something like this because it would be stupid easy, but don't have the time with college and work.
    I had already planned to use a MAX2323; At least people aren't saying this is a dumb idea. Thank God!

Member verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Not at all. I've really wanted to replace the radio area and Climate control with a touchscreen to run EMU logging software, music and DCC control, just no time or money. Have you had any experience using linux device drivers? If you were to use an actual PC, it's not too hard to write a user-space driver to control stuff like the DCC through the Parallel port with some supporting hardware. So many ways to do this, you just have to decide which way is easiest with your skill set.

Member verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Clean install is a must, too, IMO

Member verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    If iPad support non-standard Serial speeds, you may be able to use it as a logger.

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Aug 15, 2005

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Man View Post
    I was more or less thinking about imitating the commands that the DCC sends and receives to the blackbox directly behind it and letting that still control all the servos and what not. I am pretty sure the controls and screen are just an interface to the blackbox itself. I need to really look into the diagrams and hopefully they will have one for the controllers in there. I doubt it though.

I have 0 experience with drivers, but I believe that if there can be enough intrest in this, that I can get my brother on board to help. He handles all of the autonomas systems for the F-35. I am not sure how I am wanting to go about all of this exactly, or how easy it would be to write my own apps for EMU and an HHH version of logging for the iPad.

I don't believe the iPad can communicate baud 1953, but I do have a guy working on building an all-in-one USB to OBD I for our cars for the cost of a keyspan adapter itself; maybe I could get him in on getting it to work with an arduino and an iPad.