Thread: How To: Install 99 turn signals on a 2nd gen R/T TT

Monogamous Gigolo verified Feedback Score 8 (100%) 2fnloud's Avatar
    Owner Since
    October 2009

Blog Entries
    Thanks

How To: Install 99 turn signals on a 2nd gen R/T TT

I bought a set of these during the 09 black friday sale from IPS. Turns out they do not just swap in. I thought they would because I sore I thought I saw an unaltered set on a 2nd gen Stealth.

Anyways, after carefully examining both turn signals the foundation plastic is the same for both turn signals, it is the lens cover that differs.

DISCLAIMER

The information provided below is the steps I used to convert 99 turn signals to fit on the 2nd gen Stealth.

I am in no way liable for personal injury or undesired outcomes if you should try to repeat these steps.

I am sorry I didn't photograph every step of the project, If any step is unclear, please contact me and I will try to explain that step as clearly as possible.

Now that the disclaimer stuff is out of the way lets get to the details.

Here is a picture of the back side of a 2nd gen Stealth turn signal

The gray plastic part (the foundation plastic) is shaped exactly like the 99 lens but the 99 is black. The pink line shows what area from the 99 lens that will need to be trimmed off.

Before you score your the cutting mark you will need to peel the gasket off the 99 lens back to the point were there is a "V" notch cut out of it so the gasket doesn't bind as it is going around the curve of the lens.

You can try to just stick it to the front of the lens to keep it out of the way, but it will most likely will not stay and the original adhesive will not be reusable. That is O.K. because you will be trimming about an inch of it off anyway and just re-gluing the remaining gasket back to the lens once you are all done sanding and shaping.

To score the cut line on the back of the 99 lens, I used this:

It is a hobby knife kit and that blade is 1/4" wide. Keeping the inside of the the blade against the raised gray part of the lens. (remember this part will be black on the 99 lens) This allows you to keep the spacing uniform on the back side of the lens.

Using a Dremel with a cutting disk, cut just near the scored line. Keeping the sand paper angled to the back side of the lens to prevent scratching on the front of it. Sand off the burrs with 120 grit automotive sand paper and sand to a uniform curve that resembles the curve of the original turn signal.

Test fit and keep sanding the lens to shape till you are happy with the final fitment.

During the one of the test fittings, you will line the gasket up as if it was properly mounted to the lens and mark it at the point where the bumper, fender, and lens all meet. Then remove the lens to cut off the extra gasket.

After you have all the sanding and shaping to the lens completed, glue the gasket back to the lens.

Lenses cut, sanded to shape. Just waiting for the painted edge to dry (the edge that I sanded. Looked gray instead of black)

After the paint dried and I installed them, I didn't like how the points of the lens was slightly gaped away from the headlight. To solve this I heated that area of the lens up with a heat gun. Please be careful too much heat will ruin the lens.

I wore welder's gloves to protect myself from getting burnt. After the plastic was heated up enough I pushed the lens cover towards the black foundation plastic and held it there until it cooled.

This changed the shape just enough to make the point of the lens sit snug against the headlight.

The fit is great.

Drives a UFO Feedback Score 0 ilian51378's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Good job, but wouldn't it be easier to just trim the bumper instead?
    '95 Mitsubishi GTO AWD ATX - '99 front end conversion, TT conversion (19Ts), Forced Four shift box with paddle shifters, A/A wing, LCDBC, 3" straight piped exhaust with no cats and gutted pre-cats, Custom rear diffuser, HIDs, Carbon fiber steering wheel, 18" Mustang Saleen replicas.
    '92 Dodge Stealth ES - 3KGT body conversion. Sold!

Owner Since
    October 2009

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ilian51378 View Post
    Good job, but wouldn't it be easier to just trim the bumper instead?
    Perhaps but I was weighing the risk of messing up turn signals or front bumper....I choose turn signals

Also the Stealth is Hennessey stage 4 tuned with less than 30,000 miles.

Granted the Hennessey part doesn't mean too much now, but it is part of history. Because of that history, I vowed to not alter the car unless it could be reverted to how I bought it.

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    nice!! now take pics with them on you car.

Owner Since
    October 2009

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Very Nice!

Owner Since
    October 2009