Thread: My new home away from home!

Why? Because Race Car. verified Feedback Score 0 akotten's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

My new home away from home!

So this year (sophomore year in college) I decided to finally get really involved with our school's Formula SAE team. I'm fortunate enough to have the stealth here with me, but it just isn't the same without having a nice garage to work in. Helping design and build the formula car will be my "fix" We had a drive day all day today with our '03 and '07 car but I forgot my camera. We setup an autocross at a local parking lot and let some of the frosh that were interested drive the '03, which happens the be a tank and indestructible It was my first time ever doing any autocross and first time in the car ('03) and I had the second fastest time of the day, 1st being one of our main drivers for competition.

Basically, every year we design and manufacture a new formula styled car and compete across the nation with it. Last year it was in California and this year it will be in Michigan. The current 2010 car that we built last year is powered by an Aprilia SXV 550 running E85. It's our 2nd or 3rd year with the Aprilia but we have used a Honda F4i in previous years.

There's so much more....but I don't feel like writing a book about it atm All questions are welcome.

Here's a promo video of our work

-Alex
    Last edited by akotten; 09-12-2010 at 12:36 AM.
    91 R/T TT
    Mods: RC 550s, Stillen Downpipe, Stillen Cross-Drilled Rotors, HKS Exhaust, HKS VPC, HKS EBC, HKS Turbo Timber, HKS Twin Power, HKS SSQV BOV, HKS SMIC, HKS Fuel Pump, Wiseco Pistons, 3SX Rods, Ferrera SS Valves, 3rd Gen Lifters, 15G Turbos, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, B&M FMOC, Unorthodox Racing Underdrive Pulley, EGR blockoff.

Better than that "other" place Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) x2xtreme360's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Dude, that driver is SICK!

-Brent

Vacuum reduction, Powdercoated misc, cruise relocate, Evo9 BOV, Custom catch cans, Russell fuel filter, SS braided fuel lines, High flow fuel loop, Autogage fuel gauge, Catless DP, DNP Y-pipe, Fuel pump hotwire.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by x2xtreme360 View Post
    Dude, that driver is SICK!

-Brent
    Thats my roommate Brian, main driver

Forum User Feedback Score 1 (100%) lawdogg's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    That's awesome Alex. I was the FSAE engine team leader at Lafayette in '06 but the bastards wouldn't give us the $ to go forced induction, so I designed an intake manifold instead.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdogg View Post
    That's awesome Alex. I was the FSAE engine team leader at Lafayette in '06 but the bastards wouldn't give us the $ to go forced induction, so I designed an intake manifold instead.
    Thats awesome. I know we keep talking about forced induction a little here and there, but it doesnt seem to be anything too popular. I know our main engine guy was talking about a supercharged 450cc motor so maybe forced induction will become reality within the next few years. We need to understand this Aprilia first. Italian motors are SO finicky and high maintenance, its unreal. Such as changing the engine and tranny oil and filter every 3 hours of operation.

Its so cool how much stuff is made in-house or at minimum designed by us. We machine our wheel centers and then bolt em up to a light weight outer wheel. Our next challenge will be designing a carbon fiber outer wheel.
    Last edited by akotten; 09-12-2010 at 06:58 PM.

1st ever COTM and COTY verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) green-lantern's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    Very cool! and yeah your room mate can drive!

Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    I bet she smells of old mustard and sawdust.
    Jeremy