Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Final word on FWD clutches that dont SUCK!

Forum User verified Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks

Final word on FWD clutches that dont SUCK!

I lovveed my ACT clutch (street disc + extreme pressure plate) before it completely locked up (without opening her up im assuming its my own fault using a bad release bearing). I think I had a spec 6 puck in before, didnt like it for DDing and it only lasted a year.

Im about to purchase another one, im in debt + broke, and just want to buy this once.

Do I buy another ACT? stealthee seems to love his but goes through them like candy on halloween (i think he has the maxx extreme pressure plate though).

I've heard horror stories across the board. I find it hard to believe that there is no clutch for our cars that will last more than a year and will take me around an autocross course every other weekened. Is there anything that is proven?
    Last edited by x2percentmilk; 11-06-2010 at 11:42 PM.

Man vs 3/S verified Feedback Score 6 (100%) R/T93's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I have had good luck with my SPEC clutches, but others definately have not.

I raced the piss out of a Stage 2 for 30k miles with slicks until it started slipping from just wearing out. I bought a Stage 3+ and it is a very nice clutch, but I only have about 15k miles on it so I dont know what kind of mileage I am going to get out of it.

Everyone seems to like the southbend clutches, though.
    93 R/T - Modded, Full Suspension, Full Exhaust, Quaife Diff, Turbo brakes, Alpine/Boston Sound One of 25
    98 VR-4 - Billet 13t's, Downpipe, Blitz EBC, Ohlins R/T coil overs, SCE center differential, SCE oil pan, Pampena braced trans, TEC Rear Strut Bar, Custom Front Strut Bar, Camber Arms, Alum Driveshaft, 2" Koyo, Maximal oil cooler, SAFC2, Defi Gauges, RC 550's, Supra Pump, Skillard Splitter, Hardpipes, XYZ 14" front brakes/Carbotech, 255 Dunlop Z2's, AMR 18x9's, Alpine/Infinity/JL Sound. One of 13

3SNG15 Best overall

"I explode 1 piece rotors" -- ABM --
    Runs 12's (12.98's!!!!!!)
    My Garage

Forum User verified Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I loved my southbend TZ. Lasted me 80k miles with street and lots of autox use, and a few drag events.

Owner Since

Thanks
    yeah, the specs seem like hit or miss. i was looking into the tz but im worried about clatter, how is it for a dd?

Member verified Feedback Score 0 DocWalt's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    ACT has kinda gone in the toilet. My friend blew up two of them less than two months apart. One older (a year or so) and one brand new. Driving to work in light traffic. The first one tore a hole in the trans, the second one just broke the bellhousing. Both times, the failure was a pressure plate finger. They offered to replace the broken parts in his trans, but still, they used to never have issues.
    R135
    ╚╬╬╝

Owner Since

Thanks
    Yeah, i'm completely locked up right now and I do nothing but DD the car...sucks that it happened 30+ miles from home. I can drive it but shifting is out of the question, gotta start in gear and pray nothing breaks.

Honda Eater Feedback Score 0 Mike-92RT's Avatar
    Owner Since
    April 2007

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    i use the Exedy oem replacement clutch. Works like a charm for me. Of course, i dont drive it only 4-5 months out of the year, since i live in canada. But its a good clutch.

PS: i drove the shit out of my car, red lined it almost every gear in 2007 (i know i know)... clutch held fine

Hitokiri Battousai verified Feedback Score 0 Jeremy C's Avatar
    Owner Since
    June 2002

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91stealthrt2 View Post
    I loved my southbend TZ. Lasted me 80k miles with street and lots of autox use, and a few drag events.
    +1

TZ in my FWD TT. Put it in at about 104K. Still in the car at 165K. Pulled it for inspection at about 160K to check wear and it still had the fuzzy looking surface from when I put it in; in other words, it looked brand new still. It's handled the power FAR better than my trans itself has. About the ONLY issue I have is that I put a lightweight flywheel on at the same time, so launching is a little tricky, but I don't think that's really an issue with the clutch. When I have to replace the clutch in my SVT Focus, SBC will be getting my business.

Owner Since

Thanks
    I was just looking at the OFE, but consdering how it held your TT power i guess ill be placing an order for the TZ IPS seems to have the best price I can find on it.

Thanks guys, just saved me 150 bucks and a bunch of headaches.

Hitokiri Battousai verified Feedback Score 0 Jeremy C's Avatar
    Owner Since
    June 2002

Thanks
    before ordering through a 3rd party, call SBC direct and tell them you're part of 3Si (yeah, I know, I know). That generally gets you the best price period (like $200 off my Focus clutch when I priced it IIRC)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast