Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice..

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks

Looking for advice..

Trying to get some issues worked out, I'll explain the problems and hopefully get some input from some of you.

It makes a sort of constant humming sound when driving straight and curving to the right above 40mph and louder the faster I go. If I curve to the left the humming goes away completely. Also if I got above 60mph the steering wheel starts to shake and the faster I go the worse the shaking gets. I recently installed all new suspension, cv axles, tie rod ends on the front end and replaced low rear control arm assemblies because the alignment shop said they were "seized" which they were.

I took it for an all wheel alignment after I did all of the above work and still have these problems. 2 years ago I replaced the wheels and tires and had them balanced thinking I was getting the humming from that but it was still there.

Hope to hear from someone.

Jon

Forum User Feedback Score 13 (100%) Austin@STM's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    sounds like a wheel bearing issue.

-Ricer Evo 8: 8.75 @ 166 Best MPH of 167. Quickest 4G63 Powered Evo in The US!!!
    -Chris Cessna's Stock short block Evo 8: 9.76@150 Worlds Fastest Stock Motor Evo 8 and First Stock Block In The 9's!
    -Shawna's DD Evo 8: 9.97@143.88 Best MPH of 145 Full leather interior, A/C, navigation, stock brakes, cruisin 9's in style
    -Cory's Stock 7 bolt talon: 10.3@136 No crank walk here...
    -STM Stock turbo/motor Stealth RT: 10.95@127 Worlds Quyickest/Fastest and most powerful Stock turbo/ motor 3S
    -James STM built Pump gas Evo8 stock motor: 10.2@137 Stock long block, and only on pump gas!
    -Mike Faggiano Evo3 16g stock motor 1g 11.0@124 just a 16g knockin on 10's door.
    And the list goes on...

Not A DSM verified Feedback Score 3 (100%) Polygon's Avatar
    Owner Since
    June 2006

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin@STM View Post
    sounds like a wheel bearing issue.
    +1

Humming is usually a wheel bearing.

Owner Since

Thanks
    When my front wheel bearing was bad it made a very high pitched squealing noise. I replaced the front's but not the rears. I will put them on the order list.

Forum User Feedback Score 13 (100%) Austin@STM's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jcr5186 View Post
    When my front wheel bearing was bad it made a very high pitched squealing noise. I replaced the front's but not the rears. I will put them on the order list.
    before you go ordering parts check them out first it could be something else. If your feeling it in the steering wheel its probably not the rear wheel bearings. One of the fronts might have gone bad again, or something else is causing the problem.

Twin Turbo verified Feedback Score 5 (100%) GTOJOE's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    We had a van come in to work for what sounded like a stuffed diff. Had been to another mechainc and they couldn't find the fault. 4 of us drove it and all thought diff. Pulled the diff and found nothing. Put it back together and drove it on the hoist with the rear wheels in the air. No noise. All 4 of use said the sound was coming from the rear end. Problem turned out to be the front left wheel bearing.
    I would check all of them even the ones you replaced.
    1990 JDM GTO TT with Vi-PEC plug-in V44 EMS, TD04-13T's, 3SX Downpipe, MP Hi-flow cat, ARC SMIC's, Aeromotive Stealth 340LPH pump, Fuelab 515 FPR, Ninja Performance 75amp hotwire kit, oohnoo fuel loop & rail adapters, Nylon braided ethanol fuel line, NGK AFX Wideband, K&N FIPK, Iridium plugs, HKS Twin Power DLI, Turbo XS racing BOV, 3SX poly mounts, Custom 280km/h speedo.

Waiting install
    Injector Dynamics 725cc Injectors.

Build Thread

Owner Since

Thanks
    I know when I removed the fronts, they were so shot that one of them came apart when I removed it from the axle. I replaced them with the whole hub assembly which I got from the dealer. I couldn't imagine the fronts would go out again but I suppose anything could happen. Only problem I have is I don't have a garage/equipment to do anything where I live so I would have to drive it to a friends shop and do the work. It's a 2 hour drive so I don't want to be stuck driving there, putting it on the lift then ordering the parts and driving back again to do the work. I might just take my chances and order the rear wheel bearings and go replace them.

When I did the fronts everything went pretty smooth but is there anything special about the rear wheel bearings where I would need any special tools or other parts beside the rear hub assy's?

I suppose I could take it to an alignment shop here and have them take a look at it, I just hate letting other people do anything to my car.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Jon

Member Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Did you ever figure this out? I have a humming noise that sounds exactly as you describe. in my case it sounds like it is coming from the rear but I cant find anything wrong with the rear bearings, I have replaced the drivers side when i first bought it about 7K miles ago as it was extremely bad then. I replaced it again less than 1000 miles ago thinking it was bad again but it made no difference (yes i replaced both the inner and out bearings along with the dust shields). there is absolutely zero play in any of the wheels, so could it still be a wheel bearing, maybe a front wheel bearing?

Owner Since

Thanks
    Yea, the problem ended up being passenger side rear wheel bearing. Mechanic said it went away when I turned left because of the weight shift. The noise and high speed shaking are both gone after I changed the bearings in that wheel.

Member Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jcr5186 View Post
    Yea, the problem ended up being passenger side rear wheel bearing. Mechanic said it went away when I turned left because of the weight shift. The noise and high speed shaking are both gone after I changed the bearings in that wheel.
    thats strange, normally when you increase the load (by turning in the direction opposite the side the bearing is on) the noise gets worse. I assume yours also sounded like it was coming from the rear of the car? I guess I will have to find the time to get the car up in the air and get the passenger rear bearing replaced (probably has 227K miles on it so might as well anyways).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast