Thread: How can I get inside of the side view mirrors?

Forum User verified Feedback Score 6 (100%) MADMarc's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

How can I get inside of the side view mirrors?

Hey guys, I fiddlefarted around with them for a little before running out of time but didn't see an obvious method to get inside of the side view mirrors so that I could tighten things up (if possible) and put the mirror back on the track or at least see why it pops when I try to move it a bit too far one way or another. Has any body ever done this? I'd love to know!

Banned verified Feedback Score 0 ictponder's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I've seen other cars that you had to remove the glass mirror in order to remove the mechanism & bolt that holds it, probably ruining the glass in the process. Have you checked behind the glass to the sides? Maybe there are some hidden screws that are barely accessible if the mirror is tilted all the way to one side.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Good idea on turning the mirrors all the way. I will check that out in hopes of finding something. Any other input, guys?

Here's how to get the mirror glass off:
    door_mirror_removal.png

I made a recent discovery with the side mirrors, too. I sit way back in the car because of my long legs, and I could never get the side mirrors to move out far enough to really cover the correct angles. So before making a lane change, I always had to lean forward and turn my head to check for traffic.

Well, a few days ago I decided to just manually push the mirrors further out and see what happened. They would either spring back in, break, or just maybe it would work. So I pressed on the outside edge of the driver's mirror and it clicked a few times (like a ratcheting sound) and stayed in the new position! Did the same on the pass. side, and now I can actually see what I need to see in both side mirrors.

I don't know if this is by design or if I just got lucky. My power adjustments still work and everything, the mirrors are just at a new, more outward, angle. It's probably only a few degrees but it helps a lot. So if you're tall and have hated your 3S's side mirrors for not adjusting far enough, try giving 'em a little push in the right direction. MadMarc, maybe if you get inside yours you can tell us if there seems to be any kind of adjustable position detent thing in there.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Thanks for the response, b. It will probably be a few days before I can get in there w/sunlight but that picture helps out tremendously. I do recall on my last car (purchased new) that the mirrors originally had full range of motion but when drying the mirror I popped it on accident and after doing that the mirror would click back into place when I would try to move it back into place. Maybe this is the same thing that has happened in our case? I will get in there on monday or tuesday and see what I can find Thanks for the post!

Owner Since

Thanks
    Because I suck I never updated this thread.

I got the lenses off and there is a platform that is held on by a screw that presses on a spring. I tightened up the spring as it was a little loose, tested it to make sure I still get full range on the motor and will be watching it to see if it still comes loose.

Here are a couple pics of what nobody ever sees:

As far as I could tell there was nothing that you can adjust (in regards to the ratcheting of the mirror) that you cannot simply do with the lens off. I was fiddling around with it and w/the lens off the ratcheting seems to allow for exactly what you used it for
    60% of the time, my car works every time.