Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best tuned 6x9 speakers?

owner since 2004
    Owner Since

Thanks

best tuned 6x9 speakers?

what are the best tuned 6x9 replacement rear speakers for a 3s?
    rears are shot i want to replace these with something that sounds good.
    also what are the best tuned door replacement speakers for these?
    3si is dead long live 3sgto.org

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I use JBL GTO 936e's in the rear, an old model but for the price i paid (low $100's AUD a few years back) they are so clean, crisp, perfect for rock or heavy metal, sensational speaker. Love the JBL co-ax's

Owner Since

Thanks
    I have used a couple different brands of speakers over the years and I have found that Polk Audio makes some amazing speakers. They come through really strong through the highs and the mids. My car practically sounds like you are at a live concert when listening. If you want near audiophile grade go with the MM series. If you want some low watt speakers that still sounds pretty damn good, go with the DB series. I have MM Components in the front, MM Co-axles in the back, and a MM 12 sub in the back, and my system sounds phenomenal.

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_52300/6...lk+Audio&tp=91
    Last edited by Zaroth; 11-03-2010 at 08:14 AM.

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I'm gonna vote for the Polks as well. That's what I had in my car, and besides lacking a bit of bass, the sound was fantastic!
    R135
    ╚╬╬╝

Owner Since

Thanks
    I agree that the components are a little lacking in the bass department, but the mids and highs are really great and honestly most speakers this type and size are lacking in bass. I can tell you that the sub I have is the clearest sub I have ever heard. I had a friend listening to some techno with really heavy bass and was surprised that even at max volume there wasn't even a hint of muddiness and the tweeters even at that volume weren't that shrill, ear drum splitting noise that most speakers make when played that loud.

Which speakers do you have doc?

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I honestly don't remember what I had. They sounded better than the RF setup in the Evo, besides the bass. I had no sub in the VR4.

owner since 2004
    Owner Since

Thanks
    i know that 6x9 speakers these days dont give any bass or real deffinition, but the original setups seemed to hold some bass, thats because they were tuned to the enclosures, this is what i'm looking for. we will be touring europe in this car and will not have room for a sub box ( i have one y'all have seen it in the van pics). and it fits only on a dropped rear seat in a GTO.

i dont want to add bass box's, amps and unwanted cables. the car is completely unmolested except the rims, so i want good replacements for whats already there.

i might ask mitsubishi tbh and see if they have a stock of stock speakers?

Southernmost 3S Owner supporter
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I have these Kenwoods in my car. They sound clean at all volumes and install right into the stock location.

KFC-X692
    3-Way Speaker System with Carbon Polyproylene Hybrid Cone Woofer

Kenwood's KFC-X692 speaker system features very cool design advantages like a carbon polypropylene hybrid cone. The soft dome tweeter provides smooth high-end response, and we offset the tweeter mount to reduce standing waves between the midrange and tweeter. In addtion to remarkable sound quality, the KFC-X692's shallow mounting depth fits easily in import vehicles.

2015 NG: Best in Show. Best Custom Interior. Best Custom Exterior. 2nd place,Best Engine Bay. 2nd place,Best 1st Gen. 2nd place,Longest distance driven. 3rd place, Coolest Accessories. 3rd place, Autocross Class 2
    2014 NG: Best in Show. Best 1st Gen. 2nd place, Best Interior. 2nd place, Furthest Distance Driven. 3rd Place, Peoples Choice. 3rd place, Best Engine Bay. 3rd place, Best Custom Exterior
    2013 NG: 1st place, FWD Drags
    2011 NG: Best Overall and Best 1st Gen. 3rd place Autocross FWD Modified and FWD Drags
    2009 NG: Best 1st Gen 3S and Best Interior. 3rd place, Autocross, FWD Modified.

Mods include 18in. Moda wheels and BF Goodrich KDW's, Tein Flex suspension, R1 Concepts rotors, 3SX stainless steel engine dress up kit. Blue/black carbon fiber 575 hood, VLS and a full RT conversion. Audio mods include a Kenwood DVD touch screen HU, Kenwood speakers, Memphis audio 5 channel amp and 12" Subs. Corbeau Leather seats, carbon fiber dash trim and HID upgrade.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Those rear plastic enclosures are not designed for quality sound whatsoever.
    I did however get a solid, full range by dynamatting the outside and inside of the enclosures, and capping the port hole-
    Install a speaker & cap off the hole with your hand to temperarily try it / day and night difference with my Infinity's.

owner since 2004
    Owner Since

Thanks
    ok thanks guys. i'll have a play with it