Thread: stalling and no throttle response

stalling and no throttle response

i got a new iac, new spark plugs, new plenum gasket. took out ecu and checked for leaks. found none.

car cranks and i hear the engine starting but then it shuts off right away. it doesnt even idle one bit. rpm goes to 700 then car shuts off. all this happens in less than half a second. i tried starting the car 4 times today. i can smell the fuel in the engine bay and from the exhaust tip.

also before starting the car. i had my foot on the throttle id say about 7-10 percent. then i turned the key and cranked the car. car still wont stay on. shuts off right away.

could the ecu still be bad even though its not leaking? what else could it be? someone on other forum said its the timing being off, a bad crank angle sensor can cause it... what are the chances of that being bad? also will there be any effect if the car is off completely and the idle screw is turned???

crank angle sensor is the same thing as crank position sensor right? rockauto only sells them for 35-70.
    Last edited by FlamboyantStealthTT; 11-02-2010 at 07:42 PM.
    06 Mazda6s - Gone
    02 Subaru Impreza WRX - Sold
    95 Subaru Impreza USDM WRX engine JDM STi exterior swap - Sold
    05 Dodge SRT-4 - Sold
    94 Dodge Stealth RT turbo - 99 front end, 13G's with supporting bolt ons

FS: 1)Spec stage5 clutch kit $150 shipped 2)Stealth RT LED taillights $80 shipped 3)Stealth pearl yellow OEM 17's with tires 4)RARE Defi narrowband airfuel gauge $70 shipped 5)DNP Y-pipe with Blitz DD BOV $220 shipped

The one. The only. verified
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Yes the ECU could be bad even without leaks. It almost sounds like a MAS issue to me. Is it even plugged in?

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

yea its plugged in. tried unplugging it before to see what happens. turned the car on without mas, car still stalls. BUT it used to idle slightly longer with it unplugged though.

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    This could be a coolant temp sensor issue. I remember Tool Man having an issue like that and the car would only run with the fuel pump unplugged because it was dumping fuel.

his car stalled like mine? will a bad coolant temp sensor trigger the coolant light to come on? the light came on like 3 months ago when car used to run ONLY on cold start ups and it would stay for like 4 minutes. when car warmed up it went away. also to replace the sensor with a new one when taking the old one off will any coolant spill out or anything?

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    The coolant temp sensor is different than the coolant level sensor.