Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Polyphasic Sleep

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Why? Because Race Car. verified Feedback Score 0 akotten's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

Polyphasic Sleep

So my roommate and I are going to try something new. We generally find ourselves staying up until 3am or so doing homework. We both have class at 8 or 9am so this usually nets us about 4-5 hours of sleep. My current schedule has two 1 hour openings between classes that allow me to take naps and try to catch up. Here is where Polyphasic Sleep comes in.

Polyphasic sleep basically means sleeping several times a day instead of 8 hours straight each night. There are a few different patterns you can follow but the idea is to sleep enough throughout the day to achieve enough REM sleep to stay healthy. We've chosen to sleep from 5am-8am for our 3 core hours, and then take three 20 minute naps at 1:15, 5:30, and 11:00. I already generally take a nap after lunch and dinner so those first two will feel pretty much normal.

Eventually, your body will adjust (about a week or two) and you begin to enter your REM sleep much sooner so that each of those 20 minute naps becomes very important. Before even learning about polyphasic sleep, I noticed that when I would get 2 hours of sleep, I enter my REM very quickly and actually don't feel too drained the following morning (two hours later haha).

I've also read that even once you go back to normal 8 hour sleep patterns, you retain the ability to enter REM sleep nearly instantly and a 15 minute nap can give you a LOT of energy.

The idea is to gain 4 more hours in each day but also feeling very energetic all of the time. Anyone else ever try this? I will keep this updated over the next week or so with the results.
    91 R/T TT
    Mods: RC 550s, Stillen Downpipe, Stillen Cross-Drilled Rotors, HKS Exhaust, HKS VPC, HKS EBC, HKS Turbo Timber, HKS Twin Power, HKS SSQV BOV, HKS SMIC, HKS Fuel Pump, Wiseco Pistons, 3SX Rods, Ferrera SS Valves, 3rd Gen Lifters, 15G Turbos, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, B&M FMOC, Unorthodox Racing Underdrive Pulley, EGR blockoff.

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) Mikes2nd's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    good luck with that... I bet you last a week

Keeping it real... Feedback Score 0 ChargerX3's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Oct. 2006

Thanks
    Sleep doesnt need to be that complicated

Forum User verified Feedback Score 6 (100%) MADMarc's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargerX3 View Post
    Sleep doesnt need to be that complicated
    AH! SO MUCH THINKING INVOLVED! :P Nice Charger, btw.

I'm curious to see how you do. With my work/school schedule there's no way I could pull it off unless I slept a few hours, woke up and continued homework, took a nap, more homework and another nap but that defeats the purpose of recharging throughout the day. What do you do, nap between courses and before work?

Man vs 3/S verified Feedback Score 6 (100%) R/T93's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I just go to bed.....

Seriously? 3am? every night? Homework?

College fail
    93 R/T - Modded, Full Suspension, Full Exhaust, Quaife Diff, Turbo brakes, Alpine/Boston Sound One of 25
    98 VR-4 - Billet 13t's, Downpipe, Blitz EBC, Ohlins R/T coil overs, SCE center differential, SCE oil pan, Pampena braced trans, TEC Rear Strut Bar, Custom Front Strut Bar, Camber Arms, Alum Driveshaft, 2" Koyo, Maximal oil cooler, SAFC2, Defi Gauges, RC 550's, Supra Pump, Skillard Splitter, Hardpipes, XYZ 14" front brakes/Carbotech, 255 Dunlop Z2's, AMR 18x9's, Alpine/Infinity/JL Sound. One of 13

3SNG15 Best overall

"I explode 1 piece rotors" -- ABM --
    Runs 12's (12.98's!!!!!!)
    My Garage

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) Mikes2nd's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    eh i commend him for trying. Im sure somewhere some half insomniac is doing it and making it work.

But there have been so many huge studies on sleep and none have really came up with anything new, maybe he will.

I think his whole "i can just rem sleep at will" statement is going to be the key. noise... interuptions... phone calls, deadlines... all kinds of things stop that sleep.

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 0 marshallh's Avatar
    Owner Since
    6/08

Thanks
    My dad has severe ADD, so he tried that sleep schedule for a month.

Results: It works. After a month it eventually became a psychological drain to be up and around when everybody else was asleep.
    He is also self employed so he could schedule work around his sleep. Obviously this isn't going to work if you do the classic 8 hour shift.

Member Not Verified Feedback Score 0 Dbeltran24's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Interesting. I think I'm on a similar schedule. My mind / body gets tired at certain times during the day. I've started napping for 1 hour during those times. I dream almost everytime now. The only issue I find, is pulling myself out of sleep during those times. I struggle to wake up, as in fighting between dream and conscious states. But on the brighter side, I do end up refreshed after the full wake up occurs. Typically I've been sleeping 3 - 5 hours continuesly at night. So the "Power Naps" help through out the day.
    MODS - DNP Intake with K&N Style Filter, Polished DOHC Throttle Body with Portmatched Plenum, Portmatched Intake and Exhuast Ports on Heads, Ported Intake Passages in Heads, Performance Valve Job (Street), 3SX WebCams Reground Cams, .20 Overbored Block/Pistons, 3SX Fed Spec Downpipe with Gutted Rear Pre-Cat, 3SX Stock Size Crank Pulley, BigTyla Ground Wires, MSD Spark Plug Wires, Seatlle92VR4's Hyper-Flex Polyurethane Motor, Ultimate Performance Strut Bars, 3SX Polyurethane Suspension Bushings, Shift Kit

Why? Because Race Car. verified Feedback Score 0 akotten's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dbeltran24 View Post
    Interesting. I think I'm on a similar schedule. My mind / body gets tired at certain times during the day. I've started napping for 1 hour during those times. I dream almost everytime now. The only issue I find, is pulling myself out of sleep during those times. I struggle to wake up, as in fighting between dream and conscious states. But on the brighter side, I do end up refreshed after the full wake up occurs. Typically I've been sleeping 3 - 5 hours continuesly at night. So the "Power Naps" help through out the day.
    That's one thing with polyphasic sleep. Once you're on schedule, if you miss a nap by more than an hour or so, it can have very bad results. Maybe that's why you struggle to awake from your naps. They've become crucial for you.

Forum User verified Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Id say go for it and see what happens. For three years my sleep schedules was 3:00-4:00amish till 8:00-9:00amish, then around a two hour nap in the early afternoon. Not as extreme as what you are planning but I loved it. Im on a very regular schedule now and find myself WAY more tired throughout the day and I dont get anything done, ever.
    Last edited by x2percentmilk; 11-02-2010 at 02:55 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast