Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shifter Carts!

Keeping it real... Feedback Score 0 ChargerX3's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Oct. 2006

Thanks

Cool Shifter Carts!

What am i in for? Ive driven some fast go carts (30+mph), but these shifter carts have always looked intense? What should i expect or understand before i go?

Member verified Feedback Score 0 DocWalt's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    How much power? What chassis are they running? What kind of track is it? If it's tight and technical, obviously the speeds will be lower, but the acceleration should be much better than a single speed kart.
    R135
    ╚╬╬╝

Owner Since
    Oct. 2006

Thanks
    Yea, i dont know any of that info as of yet. This was more of a feeler question per say. A friend of mine notified me of one close by, but i dont have many details. Ive heard they can get up to 75+mph. That has got to be hard on the body. Have you raced them much?

Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I've raced a decent amount of non-shifter karts, but I did tons of research a while back about karting, and watched shifters in person. A lot of acceleration/speed depends on the engine set up, and of course gearing, so it's hard to say. Some of the highest end karts can top 120, but I'd expect around 75. 50 feels quick for a while, 75 should be a pretty good rush. Cornering is what beats up the body, driving fast in a straight line is no big deal, the wind doesn't affect me much, tbh. Expect a good workout, especially neck and arms, some core workout, and maybe legs, depending on the kart and track setup. Oh, and have fun!

Man, I can't wait to go karting again, lol. You can ask some of the 3SNJ members how they feel about me karting, hehe.

Owner Since
    Oct. 2006

Thanks
    I must admit that i am a bit worried about three things that started to ache when i was on the slightly slower carts. For one my arms did get a bit tired, but my neck was pretty sore after the race. The track had a lot on deep turns and switchbacks, so i felt like i was getting hammered in each one. The last thing that really bothered me is that my right calf/quad was cramping up and more sore than anything else. I didnt realize until after the race that i was constantly trying to mash the pedal into China. At least i could take a break in between heats.

Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Stretch before and after, and drink loads of water. You can obviously get physically prepared for it by working out and whatnot.

Stop mashing the throttle, it doesn't make it faster Drive slower, you'll end up faster. Karts don't drive like real cars, the lack of suspension requires a different driving style. Put your weight on the outside rear tire, you can power through corners more easily.

My local-ish track (not me driving, I'm significantly faster, lol):

I wish they'd reset the track records, they got new karts, and they're a smidgen slower for some reason, and the record is the old one still, so I can't compare times

Owner Since
    Oct. 2006

Thanks
    Yea, ill lay off the mashing from now on. I was actually surprised that out of 35 nissan enthusiasts i finished 6th place when i had never raced before. I didnt know that leaning over the outiside rear tire would actually help me apex it. So how does it help then? I figured leaning into turns would actually help distribute weight better.

Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Nope, the solid rear axle will unload the inside if you load the inside tire too much, it needs to slip. When it unloads, you'll know, the kart will hop like a mofo and jump off line.

I Kill Threads verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) Goallie11's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Are these any similar to twin engine go carts? I was gonna race some of them while I was in England but it ended up being too expensive.

They could do 80 and the place we were going to go to had at least a mile, and I'm thinking 1.3 mile long track.
    1992 3000GT VR-4
    DR650s,Denso 550 injectors, Walbro 255, Emanage Blue,3SX Cat Eliminator Downpipe,Short Shifter,DNP Hardpipe Kit,HKS SSQV,Underdrive pulley,Carbotech slotted rotors,RPS Lightweight Flywheel, Maximal Solid Mounts

Owner Since
    Oct. 2006

Thanks
    So leaning to the outside keeps you from loading up wheels and allows you to not lose any momentum? I can see that now that i think back to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast