Thread: Fuel Pump Hot Wired; Bye Bye Knock!

Forum User verified
    Owner Since
    2004/5?

Thanks

Fuel Pump Hot Wired; Bye Bye Knock!

I just got done hot wiring my stock fuel pump today, and my engine knocking is finally gone! I'm really psyched.

Original Symptoms:

-My logger saw my fuel trims as Low: ~82(idle) ~90(driving), Mid: 110, High: Just under 120.
    -Occasional sputtering/hesitation under load
    -knock spiking to 20 counts now and again under load

First: I checked for intake leaks despite the fuel trims looking like the opposite of a leak condition. No change.

Second: New fuel pressure regulator:
    -Trims were fixed! Low remained the same, mid: ~108, High: 102.
    -Knock still remained, hesitation still remained.

Third: I did the hot wire with the help of a friend, drove it around for about a half hour and got nothing more than a rare 1 count of knock. Problem solved! Throttle response seems faster now and the ride is overall smoother with no more hesitation.
    Fuel trims are now
    low: same as original at 82 but now does not fluctuate higher while driving, Mid: 96, High: 105

I'm now contemplating re-installing the EGR system because I believe I heard this may raise and keep level my low fuel trim.

Man, I can't wait to turn my boost up! I don't even remember what stock boost feels like. The car already seems quick and the boost is only at waste gate pressure.
    . 1992 VR4 - Java Black Pearl paint (2004 STI) with combo '92/'96/'99 custom front end .
    . Fittipaldi Force or 5Zigen FNO1-RC wheels . Cianci rear strut bar . K&N intake . DNP pre-turbo hard pipes . DNP hard intercooler pipe kit . Greddy Type RS BOV (recirc) . HKS EVC Black Limited boost controller . Vacuum reduction with all silicone pluming . EGR block off plates . Hot wired fuel pump . AEM AFPR @the rail with Robbeck adapter . Fuel rail loop . Tanabe knockoff down pipe . No cats . Single Turbo Flamer full 3" cat back . RPS Max pressure plate with street disk . Seattle92VR4 solid motor mounts . '99 Lifters . R1 Concepts slotted rotors . Supercar Engineering brake caliper stiffening bolts . HHH data logging . Red Line fluids .

JNS Engineering verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Good to hear! I've been having a similar problem that I first noticed when logging a dyno session. If you don't mind, check out my logs posted in the Spyder on the Dyno thread and let me know what you think.

Mod list (scroll down the page)
    JNS Engineering has your Spyders covered (and uncovered too!!)

JNS Engineering verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rom3BreaK View Post
    I'm now contemplating re-installing the EGR system because I believe I heard this may raise and keep level my low fuel trim.
    Found this reference which may shed more light.

http://www.stealth316.com/misc/obdii_fuel_trim.pdf

-BOOSTTD- verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I plan to hotwire my pump hopefully this weekend if weather prevails, I've got a bunch of rewiring to do since I keep draining batteries somehow and hotwire is on the list. Hopefully it will quell my random knock issue as well.