Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robo Halo Headlight Mod instructions w/pictures

Member verified
    Owner Since

Thanks

Robo Halo Headlight Mod instructions w/pictures

Let me say thanks to bcarroll76, as this is part of his write-up that I expanded on.

The stuff you will need before taking apart the headlights:
    • Pot holders that can be ruined
    • Flat head screwdriver
    • Phillips screwdriver
    • Small paint scrapper
    • Goo-B-Gone, Goof-off, or Krud Kutter—any of these will work
    • Piece of card board to work on, so you don’t mess up anything.

Stuff you need to put the headlights back together:
    • Goo-B-Gone, Goof-off, or Krud Kutter—any of these will work
    • Latex gloves
    • 3M Windo-Weld
    • Caulk Gun for 3M windo-Weld

1. Pre-heat oven on 275 degrees(glass) or 235(lexan). I take off all mounting brackets prior to baking. Also you will want to take off the (8) little silver clips that go around the headlight. Just take a flat head screwdriver and they pop off from the bottom, just be careful because I fling them all over my kitchen. Also take out light bulbs.

2. Once the oven is pre-heated to 275(glass) or 235 (lexan), place headlight on rack and bake them for about 10-15 minutes. Make sure that the headlight is not touching any part of the oven except for the rack (obviously).

3. Once you pull the headlight out look at the corners, you want to find one where the glass or lexan has started to lift from the casing (usually where the level indicator is). Genteelly, put the paint scrapper in there and pull up. You are prying the glass off. You want to try and get it under the lip of the glass, NOT the rim of the glass. Lexan lenses don’t really matter because they are not prone to chipping. Once you got the glass up enough you can just pull it off. For lexan headlights, you don’t have to be as careful with prying.

4. This is the fun part, removing the factory glue. Keep the oven on. You will need the glue to be hot in order to remove it. Use a flat head screw driver and get the glue out of the channel. Others have used a #2 pencil. Some of the glue will stick to the glass, use “Goof Off” to get it off the glass. I suggest replacing the glue and NOT reusing it.

5. Clean off any glue that you may have gotten on the inside of the glass and put glass aside.

6. Removing the insert, remove the one black screw that is visible. The upper corner is held on with a peg, genteelly pull it up. The bottom is held on by two clips. You need to be careful if you are reusing the insert. You will want to grab where the openings are for the projection lights and pull towards you.

7. You will need to drill two small holes in the back of the bucket, so you can run the halo wires out. Make sure they are more towards the bottom of the bucket, so you can see the hole when you are trying to fish the wires through.
    Last edited by dbest671; 06-17-2011 at 01:19 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dbest671 For This Useful Post:

Member verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    8. I paint the inside of the headlight bucket (robo mod) with either high gloss or low gloss paint (the low gloss tends to looks better). You will need to remove the silver rings, leveler, and glass eyeballs. Just shove some paper towel where the openings are after you remove the eyeballs. (I am anal and tape them). Ignore the blue dog toy behind it....

9. I glue the halos to the silver retaining ring (on the robo mods). You will need 80mm glass CCFL tubes, or 80mm computer fan with a CCFL tube (illegal colors though). I recently bought some off ebay that were 90mm incased in a plastic shroud that will work also, but only on the Robo mods, they are too big for the insert. If you keep the insert, you will need 80mm CCFL, I haven’t found a source that is not on backorder right now for 80mm CCFL tubes that are white. This place in Germany said they might have some in the beginning of November. The website is WilTec - Runde Kaltlichtkathodenröhre mit 80mm Durchmesser If you are keeping the insert, I drilled two holes into the tunnel shrouds and attached the halos with zip ties. To glue the halos on I use Amazing Goop.

10. Test the halos before putting the glass back on. Just plug in the ballast and put it on any car battery. Red wire to positive, black wire to ground. Once they work you can put the glass back on. Also you will need to put the connector on the two wires from the halo. It was attached to the ballast. Just slip the metal clips into the outside holes, the middle one will be blank. You can see where they go in, and the little tab must be facing up.

11. Now you will need to have purchased some Windshield Glue.. It usually comes in a caulk tube and you will need a calking gun to use it... put a fairly generous bead of this stuff around the housing where the glass sits in...not enough that it is gushing over the canal.. this stuff is extremely messy and hard to get off things and your fingers... if you do get some on you, use the GOO GONE...

12. Ok now here is where you need to be CAREFUL!!! Grab your Glass Cover and gently lay it onto the housing... and press firmly. Go around the whole outside edge and press it into the canal... be careful not to get it on your fingers.. Rubber gloves would probably work great ( I put multiple layers on)...

13. Re-install the clips that you removed previously ... some people like to use some type of clamp to make sure they are sealed good... BE CAREFUL you don’t want to crack your glass with too much pressure... I just used enough glue and installed the clips...

14. Let them dry overnight.. Preferably.. If you take your time you will have a great finished product!!!

If you have any questions for more detail... PM me I will be happy to help you out...
    Last edited by dbest671; 06-17-2011 at 01:23 PM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dbest671 For This Useful Post:

Wrench Monkey Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Awesome write up!

Are there any domestic options for those tubes from Germany?

Oh and how about some finished product pics?
    1997 3000GT VR4 - Solano Black Pearl - E85 - E316G-BIG - All the boost
    1993 3000GT VR4 - Maroon/Blacktop - Back to stock/Restoration
    1994 Stealth R/T - Primer - Parts store

1st ever COTM and COTY verified
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    Damn, I didn't see this till now. I was getting ready to PM you about this. Thanks a bunch April!

Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    I bet she smells of old mustard and sawdust.
    Jeremy

Member verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I haven't been able to source any white ccfl tubes, all I can get now in white are the ones from Ebay. I like those better anyway, but you can't use them in lexan or non robo headlights.

Finished product, I know I have better pictures I need to go through them. Or I will start a new thread with ones for sale

Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    Hey April, I might have missed it but where do you wire the halos in? The parking lights?

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dbest671 View Post
    I haven't been able to source any white ccfl tubes, all I can get now in white are the ones from Ebay. I like those better anyway, but you can't use them in lexan or non robo headlights.

Finished product, I know I have better pictures I need to go through them. Or I will start a new thread with ones for sale

Nice car it looks very similar to mine....

@ green-lantern I wired mine into the parkers originally but now I use a switch so I can turn them off if needed. Wired positive to parkers and negative to switch so if on they still turn on and off with parkers.
    "Video games don't affect kids, I mean if Pacman affected us as kids, we'd all be running around a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive music."

PIONEER-ODR RS-K1/C-100/C-200/RS-P50 X2/RS-P1/RS-M1
    DIAMOND-AUDIO HEX 8" X2/HEX SILK DOME TWEETERS X4/D7-401 AMP X2/D7-402 X1/D7-152 AMP X1/D7-104 AMP X1 ETON 4-300/25HEX 4" X4 AUDIO-CONTROL EPIC-160
    ECLPISE 10" TITANIUM (SUBSONICS) X2 SW9102
    PHOENIX-GOLD 12" CYCLONES (INFRASONICS) X2 DC SERVOS http://webfaq.phoenixphorum.com/cyclone.htm
    FUSION 7 COLOUR L.E.D KITS X4 2 MODIFIED. Intergrated lighting through out install.
    1994-MITSUBISHI-GTO-TWIN-TURBO-4WD-4WS-FULLY OPTIONED-SERIOUSLY being MODIFIED

Member verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by green-lantern View Post
    Hey April, I might have missed it but where do you wire the halos in? The parking lights?
    I have a write-up on how I wired mine, but haven't put on the forums yet. I actually used a 1st gen foglight and pop-up headlight switch. I figured out where to plug in the wires to use the pop-up headlight switch as a switch for the halos. I ran a power wire from my cigarette lighter (spliced) to the pop-up headlight switch, and then ran a power wire from the pop-up switch to the halos.

Anybody who wants the write-up on the wiring before I get it posted on the forums send me a PM with your email address, and I will send it to you (Microsoft Word format)

Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    hmmm I guess I could wire mine to my fogs but I don't think they will work unless the headlights are on. I might just put new wiring in.

Member verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by green-lantern View Post
    hmmm I guess I could wire mine to my fogs but I don't think they will work unless the headlights are on. I might just put new wiring in.
    You would have to do the fog light mod to run the fog light independently from the headlights. Running new wiring is not that hard, could you see the wiring I ran? I ran a wire out the door jam and under the fender lip (in the engine bay) and across the front bumper. Independent switch is the way to go, especially if you can get the 91-93 pop up headlight switch, looks stock.