Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight lifting/fitness thread

Hitokiri Battousai verified
    Owner Since
    June 2002

Thanks

Weight lifting/fitness thread

After reading the "100 pushups" thread in general, I figured might as well see if there is anyone else that is working out regularly.

Anyone that knows me knows I ain't a small fella. I don't have a sweet tooth - I have a sweet jaw. I eat way too much junk, and simply don't take the time to try to work any of the extra crap off. For the longest, I would much prefer to my activity to be in from of my PC blowing heads off and bitching if I ran out of stamina in game.

Then a couple weeks ago, it hit me that something as simple as walking across the parking lot to the cafeteria, walking back, and going up a set of steps back to my cube would wind me. I would be breathing fairly hard to where I couldn't hold a normal conversation due to breathing.

I'm 29. I've got a loving girlfriend, and her 3 kids think I'm the greatest. I can't let myself waste away like this. I decided it was time to start using the small gym that my apartment complex has. It's only open during business hours, so I shifted my work schedule up to where when I get off, I can get home and have time for a decent workout. I carry my clothes to change with me and a water bottle so that I have no excuse to go home.

I started going to the gym in modest about 6 weeks ago. The first 2 weeks, I didn't even touch weights. 4 days a week of nothing but biking. I was averaging about 6 miles each day before my legs started to really complain, and I was running enough resistance to where I was unsteady when I stood up afterwards. No heart rate monitor on the bokes, so I had to use the "is my heart about to burst out of my chest?" unit of measurement.

After the first 2 weeks, I decided to mix it up and start adding weight training. I'm very limited as there are no free weights and only one multi-function machine (simulated bench/incline, lat pull down, and military press, then a ground hookup for accessories and one high hookup for accessories, of which there are none to hookup, then the standard hamstring/calf machine). I started with simply running through 3 sets of 7 reps, working my best to fail on the last rep. I've found a place that sells the straight bar accessory and rope for pretty cheap, so I'll be buying the accessories myself so that I can do more isolated workouts. At this moment, I alternate days of aerobics and weights until I can add more weight training and get to 4 days weights, one aerobic.

I still have to work on my diet, as that's the most important part of fitness, and easily my worst traight. Even with the amount of weight I can lift increasing (already upped my bench 40lbs from the start) and my stamina getting better, I'm not losing any weight, and I'm not noticing a change in my girth as of yet. I can see definition in my arms and upper chest that weren't there before (and I think my legs are slimming a little but can't tell for sure), but my belly is just as woefully large.

So now that I have a set workout routine, time to get the healthy food thing down. I do not look forward to this as it's going to require a shift in the entire families eating habits. Any good meals that are cheap, can feed 7.5 adults (3 kids that eat like 5.5 adults), and easy to prep? How about simple things that can be taken to work?

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Beans.

Congrats on the work so far, I've gained a good bit of weight, and would like to lose it as well. Gonna start with the 100 pushups thing, and mix in some of their other programs too.
    R135
    ╚╬╬╝

Owner Since

Thanks
    When I was serious into working out I generally premade meals of chicken and vegetables and put them in those ziplock plastic containers. I tryed to limit the amount of olive oil and butter I cooked with also. Focus on a 4-5 small protein rich meals a day and cut out ALL other drinks besides water. Drinking some caffeine before you go to the gym will help out. I generally did it in a cup of coffee or so. Helps with giving you that burst of energy that keeps you working out hard.

Also, if you are trying to lose weight and get in shape you need to be doing more reps of less weight. Doing 3 sets of 7 reps is good for building strength and muscle mass, but more reps of less weight will build endurance and burn more calories. Muscle burns fat, so either way you will lose weight. If your trying to slim down though I would go with more reps.

Sounds like your doing great on your cardio. I need to get back in to working out. Been hella lazy lately.

Hitokiri Battousai verified
    Owner Since
    June 2002

Thanks
    I'm not too worried about dropping weight at the moment as I'm not obese by any stretch (~210, 6'0"). I'm hoping to get back down to about 180lbs, but my immediate goal is to rebuild loss muscle. I have Muscular Dystrophy, so any muscle I can build and keep is an extreme bonus to keeping myself in good health later on. That's why I went with the lower rep/higher weight to start with. I figure when I vary my routine around week 16 or so I'll switch to higher rep/lower weight for a while. By that time I should have put on a couple lbs of muscle mass which will help burn extra calories and will compound with the higher calorie burn routine at that time to really cut down the weight.

My main concern is trying to get a good all around exercise routine AND diet combined as the kitchen is just as important as the gym when it comes to being healthy.

Owner Since

Thanks
    I generally tryed to stay away from all processed sugar. White bread, white rice, all that fun stuff. I think the biggest thing that really helped me was cutting all drinks besides water. I went from 195 to 155 in about 6 months with just cutting my sugar/carb intake, pounding water, and doing an hour of weight lifting and 30 mins of cardio a day 5 days out of the week. Left the weekends for recuperation.

Owner Since
    12-22-98

Thanks
    Get p90x .. Trust me .. And listen to the posts above eating wise .. And if thats not enough and you really wanna get straight ripped hard body, get p90x and insanity .. If you can physically do both you will end up on a wheaties box ..

Chris said ninjas don't fall down.
    Owner Since
    7/07/07

Thanks
    Good for you, Jeremy.
    Since guys and gals are so different physically, I'll leave that kind of advise to the fellas. :P
    To make good eating habits that can last I do the following....(and they do become HABITS!):
    Always leave something on your plate.
    Never go back for seconds.

I eat a lot of stuff that I love, but I don't overindulge. I also go to the gym, but I don't work out to be 'ripped' or 'model skinny'. I just wanna be healthy.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Skipping leg day again today.

If weights ever get old pick up Jiu Jitsu! I personally hate weights, they are wayyyy too boring for me.

The classes I take are a freaking blast! You will definitley lose weight! There is a guy at my gym who started out at 207 pounds and now competes in the 150's (he walks around at 165ish). Strength or age doesn't matter in the slightest. For instance, I'm 17 years old and 175 lbs. And can school people in their 20's who are 200+ lbs. But I get my ass handed to me buy a guy who is 54 years old and weighs MAYBE 130lbs!

I have the opposite problem. I can't gain weight. I'm 135lbs 6', and the 5lbs is after lifting 5 days a week and taking a gainer/protein supplement for the past 4 months.

I have a long way to go.