Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help asap trying to remove the rear dnp hardpipe to the turbo!!!!

Forum User Feedback Score 0 FlamboyantStealthTT's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

Angry help asap trying to remove the rear dnp hardpipe to the turbo!!!!

im changing the spark plugs and the hardpipe to the rear turbo must be removed to reach to other components that needs to be removed also to lift up the plenum. the problem is i loosened the clamps connecting the hardpipes and tried pulling the rear pipe up. it wouldnt move at all because its on the turbo pretty good.

how to i get it off the turbo??? just keep trying to pull it up?
    06 Mazda6s - Gone
    02 Subaru Impreza WRX - Sold
    95 Subaru Impreza USDM WRX engine JDM STi exterior swap - Sold
    05 Dodge SRT-4 - Sold
    94 Dodge Stealth RT turbo - 99 front end, 13G's with supporting bolt ons

FS: 1)Spec stage5 clutch kit $150 shipped 2)Stealth RT LED taillights $80 shipped 3)Stealth pearl yellow OEM 17's with tires 4)RARE Defi narrowband airfuel gauge $70 shipped 5)DNP Y-pipe with Blitz DD BOV $220 shipped

Member verified Feedback Score 6 (100%) dbest671's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    There should be a bolt holding it on, at least there is on the stock one.

1st ever COTM and COTY verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) green-lantern's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dbest671 View Post
    There should be a bolt holding it on, at least there is on the stock one.
    yep there is a bolt that holds the pipe to turbo.

Make sure when removing the plenum that you take the washers off of the two outer studs before taking it off. I can't count the times I've seen people drop one of those washers into the intake when removing it and not realizing it until they start it.

Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    I bet she smells of old mustard and sawdust.
    Jeremy

XLR8TOR Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    That upper turbo pipe is only held in by one bolt, at the turbo, and an O-ring that seals it inside against the turbo housing. Just wiggle it around as you are lifting up on it.

Head the warning about the washers on the intake plenum. Also as soon as you get it off take a piece of cardboard cut just large enough to cover all the intake openings and press it down on the two outside studs to make an imprint of the studs, then poke holes at the indents and place it over the intake openings. The stud holes will hold it in place and prevent anything from possibly accidentally falling into the intake openings. You’ll be glad you did this the first time you drop something on the cardboard.

Lastly, as soon as you get the top pipe off of the turbo drop a golf ball into the turbo opening. This will prevent anything from accidentally being dropped into that opening too.

Another tip that may be helpful. When removing the Exhaust Gas Recirculating [EGR] pipe from the plenum loosen both bolts then remove one bolt and let the gasket swing up or down while being held in place by the other bolt. Tie a piece of string through the bolt hole of the removed bolt in the gasket and tie it to something solid so you can remove the other bolt without dropping the gasket. Trust me here, if you drop the gasket you will not find it if Murphy’s Law is still in effect. Reverse the procedure to reinstall it.

Hope this helps.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MaxClass For This Useful Post:

Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxClass View Post
    That upper turbo pipe is only held in by one bolt, at the turbo, and an O-ring that seals it inside against the turbo housing. Just wiggle it around as you are lifting up on it.

Head the warning about the washers on the intake plenum. Also as soon as you get it off take a piece of cardboard cut just large enough to cover all the intake openings and press it down on the two outside studs to make an imprint of the studs, then poke holes at the indents and place it over the intake openings. The stud holes will hold it in place and prevent anything from possibly accidentally falling into the intake openings. You’ll be glad you did this the first time you drop something on the cardboard.
    ah good point, I didn't even think to mention the cover for the intake. The very 1st thing I do when I remove the plenum is cover the intake. If you bought a new plenum gasket (and you should) you can use the old one as a perfect fit cover. just take some duct tape and tape up the intake holes in the gasket. The studs will hold it in place.

Another thing I forgot to mention is there is another bolt in that rear IC pipe. It's also bolted to the plenum.

Owner Since

Thanks
    i got the hard pipe off. i covered the turbo opening with paper towel. the plenum was lifted up so i have enough room to reach the plugs. i covered everything with paper towels.

btw for the egr pipe i only took off 2 bolts that was bolted onto the plenum. the other 2 bolts on the turbo or heatshield i forgot where the other 2 bolts were bolted on but anyways i didnt loosen them at all. plenum came off easy with its bolts removed and just 2 of the egr bolts removed. but i see no gasket between the plenum and egr pipe. is there no gasket between the plenum and egr pipe???????
    Last edited by FlamboyantStealthTT; 10-24-2010 at 05:16 PM.

Forum User Feedback Score 13 (100%) Austin@STM's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    There is supposed to be a gasket for sure, you are either missing it, or it is stuck to the pipe, or intake manifold still. If its not there at all make sure you get one as this will be a big vac/boost leak.

-Ricer Evo 8: 8.75 @ 166 Best MPH of 167. Quickest 4G63 Powered Evo in The US!!!
    -Chris Cessna's Stock short block Evo 8: 9.76@150 Worlds Fastest Stock Motor Evo 8 and First Stock Block In The 9's!
    -Shawna's DD Evo 8: 9.97@143.88 Best MPH of 145 Full leather interior, A/C, navigation, stock brakes, cruisin 9's in style
    -Cory's Stock 7 bolt talon: 10.3@136 No crank walk here...
    -STM Stock turbo/motor Stealth RT: 10.95@127 Worlds Quyickest/Fastest and most powerful Stock turbo/ motor 3S
    -James STM built Pump gas Evo8 stock motor: 10.2@137 Stock long block, and only on pump gas!
    -Mike Faggiano Evo3 16g stock motor 1g 11.0@124 just a 16g knockin on 10's door.
    And the list goes on...

Owner Since

Thanks
    alright thanks will be going to autozone for the gaskets. and btw i can just use paper towels to wipe off all the surface oil right?

Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    what surface area are you talking about?

Member verified Feedback Score 6 (100%) dbest671's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    You can get the intake manifold gasket and maybe the EGR valve gasket, but I couldn't get the egr pipe gasket w/o having it special ordered at Autozone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast