Thread: Climate control unit

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 0 buffer's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

Climate control unit

Switching out my unit today and noticed a small 3 position switch on the top right corner. Did try and see if it made any difference but didn't see anything. No information in the fsm that I can find. Is this maybe for calibration, curious is all.

The one. The only. verified Feedback Score 14 (100%) stealthee's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Might be a JDM unit? I don't recall seeing a switch when I had my unit out and looking at pictures I can find on the web I don't see any others with it.

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 0 buffer's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Morning stealthee , I believe all units have them, just small switch
    climate control.jpg
    After doing some more digging, fsm wiring and following the traces on the old one I think
    this makes the most logical sense. Switch in the middle is like factory default, that's why all are that way when we remove. If the switch is moved to the left it makes the system colder via fan speed etc and to the right is warmer, this could be used in hotter climates or the reverse by the dealer. I attached link from another forum (the3000gtplace) which is the ONLY decent answer I've seen. Now we know. (at least I'm satisfied ) 🙂

UselessPickles
    22 Jul
    I did some more experimenting on a cool night with the target temp set warmer. The result was opposite of my previous experiment, so the switch seems to be a temperature calibration or bias adjustment of some sort?
    Left position seems to be biased toward more aggressively cooling.
    Right position seems to be biased toward more aggressive heating.
    Middle position seems to be somewhere in between (and seems to be the position that most people have reported finding the switch to be in originally).
    Next I might do some further testing where I monitor live climate control data to see if the switch seems to have any impact on the resulting temperature according to the cabin temp sensor.

The one. The only. verified Feedback Score 14 (100%) stealthee's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    That is interesting. I don't remember the switch, but then again I pulled the unit, boxed it up, and sent it out for repair, then when it came back I threw it right back in.

It could explain a few things too. I remember going to South East Drag Day with my buddy years back in his VR4. It wasn't super cold, like 55, but it was cold enough to want a little heat. We put the climate control on 75 and it just blew mild air at best. We had to jack it up to like 85 to get actual heat.

Like I said on mine I didn't pay much attention, but last time I had to car out it cooled off and I had it on 75 and it was nice and toasty.

Appreciate your effort and research.

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM