Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Timing belt issue.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by box View Post
    It should still work.

While you're at it, pull the bottom cover off and make sure the tensioner eccentric pulley has been set up properly, a lot of mechanics cock it up in a way that allows the belt to slacken too much.
    I would do, but I think there's a bit more to do to get the bottom cover off. Don't all the accessories, PS, ALT, AC, crank pulley, have to come off first so you can get to the cover? Whereas it's only three small bolts to get the top ones off. Still it's something I may have to do at some stage. I'm a little bit weary of moving anything too much on this engine due to it being an interference engine. So I'm a little bit unsure of just how much I can move anything before damage can occur. Give me a non-interference engine any day. At least when you get the timing wrong on one of those, there's no damage to worry about.

Thermal Engineer- Mmbr Since:8/2005 verified
    Owner Since
    6/2005

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivant View Post
    The belt has only done 27 thousand ks. But it was replaced back in 2000. I was a bit worried about it and showed it to my mechanic, and he said it still looked brand new, and should be fine for ages yet. It's really just a weekend car these days and is garaged everyday of it's life. So not getting the heat from hot days on the rubbers etc in the car.
    5 years or 60,000: Replace belt and tensioner. Your engine hit the former.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex3000gt View Post
    5 years or 60,000: Replace belt and tensioner. Your engine hit the former.
    That's actually another topic on it's own? Many people say a belt should only be replaced when it hits the required Ks. (We do Ks in NZ. I think it's Miles in the US) While others say it should go off time regardless of Ks. I think it's one of those arguments that will go on forever. I personally know some people who have never changed the belts on their cars, and in some cases are on their second time round on their mileage clocks. God only knows what state their belts are in?

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivant View Post
    I would do, but I think there's a bit more to do to get the bottom cover off. Don't all the accessories, PS, ALT, AC, crank pulley, have to come off first so you can get to the cover? Whereas it's only three small bolts to get the top ones off. Still it's something I may have to do at some stage. I'm a little bit weary of moving anything too much on this engine due to it being an interference engine. So I'm a little bit unsure of just how much I can move anything before damage can occur. Give me a non-interference engine any day. At least when you get the timing wrong on one of those, there's no damage to worry about.
    Yep, it's a bit of work. Up to you though.

You've already had the engine running so there's no point worrying about damage at this point, just don't let it slip another tooth while you re-time it.

In the hundreds of timing belt jobs I've done, I've only seen one belt that was really cracked and ready to fall to bits due to age.....the rest generally look pretty good when they're removed and thrown in the bin. It always seems to be a pulley or water pump failure that causes the belt to shred.

I guess you could say the same about most preventative maintenance.
    Last edited by box; 02-15-2021 at 07:04 PM.

The one. The only. verified
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Exactly, its not the belt that fails, its a component. Water pump, tensioner, pulley, etc fails and caused the belt the shred/jump.

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Yep, it's a bit of work. Up to you though.

You've already had the engine running so there's no point worrying about damage at this point, just don't let it slip another tooth while you re-time it.

In the hundreds of timing belt jobs I've done, I've only seen one belt that was really cracked and ready to fall to bits due to age.....the rest generally look pretty good when they're removed and thrown in the bin. It always seems to be a pulley or water pump failure that causes the belt to shred.

I guess you could say the same about most preventative maintenance.
    Yes you're not wrong about the old belts still looking ok. I haven't changed as many as you have, and have never done one on a GTO. But I have done a lot of 1996 2.2L SOHC Subaru Legacy's. The wife's actually, and they always looked as good as the day I last fitted it. I was even in two minds about leaving it for another 50ks, but The manual said change it, so I did. In all truth I didn't really mind because it was so easy. Subaru's must be the easiest timing belts to do. Only the fan and fan belt and the crank pully to get off, and then the covers and hey presto your onto the belt. If only the GTO had that kind of access.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    In all honesty, the GTO really isn't too bad to work on once you get into it....it's just a 90's Japanese car held together with nuts and bolts after all. Rip into it, you'll have that bottom cover off in 45 minutes.

I might be wrong, but I don't think the alternator has to come off to get the cover off. Neither do the power steering or A/C pumps. Just take the two belts and the crank pulley off. Maybe take the engine mount off so you can lower the front of the engine a touch.

Could be worse, you could be working on a Peugeot. Or a V6 Alfa Romeo.
    Last edited by box; 02-16-2021 at 03:51 PM.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    In all honesty, the GTO really isn't too bad to work on once you get into it....it's just a 90's Japanese car held together with nuts and bolts after all. Rip into it, you'll have that bottom cover off in 45 minutes.

I might be wrong, but I don't think the alternator has to come off to get the cover off. Neither do the power steering or A/C pumps. Just take the two belts and the crank pulley off. Maybe take the engine mount off so you can lower the front of the engine a touch.

Could be worse, you could be working on a Peugeot. Or a V6 Alfa Romeo.
    Yes it's all the stuff in front that's the biggest hassle isn't it. I remember way back when I used to work on my old small block chev... so simple, and the best access, all the room in the world. A 9/16''and 5/8'' ring spanner, and a Philips screw driver was all I needed to pull the engine to bits.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Just an update. Yesterday I decided to have a go fixing the issue. I started with a cold engine, as I find that is when everything is a bit loose. I used three tiny screwdrivers, about 3mm wide in place in-between the cam wheel and belt. Then using a socket and bar I slowly edged the cam wheel back the two teeth it needed to go to get the timing back aligned. After I cleared everything off it, I started the engine and it went great. All the minor missing was gone. I was well pleased. I will have a go at replacing the belt at some stage, with all the hours it requires to get it done, and have been watching some youtube videos on the subject. One thing that I don't understand is why the crank sprocket has to be turned back one tooth from the timing mark on the block before the belt is fitted and moved up to the tensioner pulley? I will have to investigate that a bit more. Wouldn't that put the timing out?
    Anyway I just thought I would let you guys know how I got on.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Ivant; 02-20-2021 at 04:36 PM.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Well done.

I've always done it with the crank at TDC, but I don't lock the cams. Work anticlockwise, starting from the crank, keep the belt tight and cable tie the belt to the cam sprockets as you go. Once you get to the end, the timing will be right, the belt will be tight and any slack will be at the tensioner.

If the cams are locked (with bolts through the sprockets into the head or with plastic cam locks), you turn the crank back a tooth because you can't get the belt tight enough between the crank and cams to get the crank on the right tooth of the belt. Once you get the belt on this way, you turn the crank forwards to TDC and that takes up the slack between the crank and rear exhaust sprocket and puts the slack at the tensioner.

Two different ways to do it, same outcome. It's one of those jobs where three hands is useful.