Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Best comparison I could find in a quick search:

https://fordauthority.com/2020/01/wh...e-f-150-video/

BAD ASS - I've got one Not Verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) j2k4's Avatar
    Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    Brian, Carlos has invited you and Dave to call him crazy - please get this done before you go any further.
    Ranked No. #1 in initial quality

Idiots, simply by being idiots, seem capable of achieving randomly bad things that are beyond the imaginings of sensible people.

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified Feedback Score 8 (100%) IPD's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I can say that twin-scroll turbos seem to be the wave of the future for turbocharging, and Ford has won praise for the I4's using this technology.

*edit* I had thought about how a reverse flow V6 like Audi/BMW have might be a good twin-scroll solution as well. But I think the engineering principle is probably a bit more complex and has to do with the degrees of spacing between exhaust charges and that's where the merits of single-bank-fed turbos vs. dual-bank-fed turbos are a bit foggy in my understanding.

God forbid Ford ever puts this technology in a successor to the Coyote (GM already has this on the Cadillac 4.2L Blackwing v8--a variant of which I hope makes its way to the c8).

https://media.cadillac.com/media/us/...-turbo-v8.html
    https://www.autozine.org/technical_s...duction_4.html

And this is the dream. The perfect turbocharging solution:

Last edited by IPD; 07-26-2020 at 03:34 AM.

Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    *thread hijack* *puts on armchair engineer wizarding hat*

Ok, so I've been reading up on it a bit more. "Hot V" V6 engines aren't really a thing in mass production at present, but yes--they benefit from the same twin-scroll tech. The gist is that every single-crankshaft engine has the same degrees of rotation for a complete cycle (720); but that this is divided by the number of cylinders in the engine.

https://dsportmag.com/the-tech/twin-...-great-divide/

By using twin turbos (like the 6g72's traditional layout), the degrees of exhaust charge spacing is essentially doubled (from 120 on NA to 240 with twin-turbos). A single twin-scroll turbo then can be thought of as mimicking the effect of twin turbos in a single turbo--because it spaces out the exhaust charges identically to how twin turbos would. That so whereas a N/A v8 would separate exhaust charges by 90 degrees, a conventional twin turbo setup doubles this to 180. And a twin-scoll, twin-turbo v8 setup doubles this again to 360. Application of this same principle to a V6 would result in a twin-scroll, twin turbo exhaust charge separation of 480.

Now as to where the delta-P sweet spot is with regards to spacing between exhaust charges & maximizing scavenging via said pressure differential--that I'll leave to someone with an engineering degree. Although effectiveness of this likely varies a bit with RPM, manifold/exhaust sizing, and engine displacement...there is probably a point of diminishing returns where we can say that > x-number of spacing that there is little benefit (or negative benefit). For example, a twin-turbo, twin-scroll I4 would literally have 720 spacing on exhaust charges--which probably defeats any scavenging effect (though I cannot say with certainty).

Alternately, modifying the size of piping to produce more rapid scavenging could be paired with a commensurate change in the sizing of a turbo. Think of how a G672 would benefit by having the effective charge of a 9b on both sides twin-scroll (not a split 9b housing, but rather 9b CFM rate on both sides of an indeterminate sized twin-scroll). This would keep low-end response while greatly improving high-end capability. What if (hypothetically) we could modify two 16g into a twin scroll and we had a 6G72 hot-v engine. We could--theoretically--spool those 16gs hundreds of RPM lower--greatly reducing turbo lag (see article above).

So whereas the conventional wisdom has been a choice between spool speed and top-end capability; twin scroll largely allows for a big(er) turbo while still keeping civilized low-end RPM spool (300-400 rpm lower in their tested setup). The days of simply slapping any old manifold and some turbos on and calling it "good enough"---those are coming to an end. I'm glad that engineering has kept moving forward.

Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    I already don't have enough money to go nuts with my Stealth....

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Looks unusual, but it looks like a crisis of ideas...

Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    Kinda like a 3S - which is why we're all here.

Welcome to the Inner Circle of Heck.

Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Be advised. The following is not for delicate eyes, purist fanbois, or the faint of heart:

[Rant]

Ok. You F**king, #@$%$%#, F##k a$$, c0cksuking, F%%ks.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/ford...quatch-manual/

This shit is pissing me the hell off. Manual fanbois whined about not being able to get the Sasquatch trim option with a stick shift, and Ford caved. What in the everliving fcuk!!!???!!! Butthurt whiney pursists complaining about how "there's no manual options on the market!!11!!!" So now they have one. Some are STILL pissed that there's no 2.7L option with the MT. Primadonna, ungrateful fcuks.

Let me explain something to you soulless, ungrateful, forgetful, primadonna assclowns. I have lived FOR MY ENTIRE LIFE without the OPTION of even having an AT on most things I want. Viper? GFY. Z06? GFY (before 2015). Countach? GFY. 3000GT? "In its most extreme form, the 3000GT isn't available in Automatic; that would be like flying a fighter jet on auto-pilot." AND THE LIST GOES ON AD INFINITUM.

Worse? GONE are the days of cars that I really, REALLY liked. Styling has all died on the altar of crash-tests, EPA compliance, fuel economy, pedestrian safety, etc. And color options that used to be EPIC (e.g. Statutory Grape, Amethyst Pearl, Go Mango, SubLime, etc)--these are all but gone except in a few, rare cases (e.g. Challenger/Camaro/Mustang/911). 80%+ of new cars are sold in white, black, grey and silver. B.O.R.I.N.G. And now that AT's are the new de-facto standard--the whiny butthurt purists are crying foul that they aren't being catered to. Well those "purists" can go fornicate themselves with a carbide-tipped, serrated dildo. You STILL have the option of MT on the "good" cars that had a soul. F right off.

Worse? AWD being treated as an afterthought. A Hellcat AWD challenger sounds awesome...but oh wait, only available in RWD. FUCK!

Worse? MT purists will not even pony up in enough #'s to justify the expense, R&D, crash testing, certification, etc--to merit the expense of developing a MT option...and the estimated take on the MT option for the Bronco (even with a Sasquatch) will probably be ~10%. That's a MASSIVELY outsized, whiny butthurt voice that a miniscule contingent of the automotive consumer segment has. That would be bad enough if the TAKE RATE REMAINS ABYSMAL AS IT UNDOUBTEDLY WILL. But it's also spitting into the wind on MPG standards, acceleration times, overall performance, etc.

I have lived through DECADES of MT fanbois dominating the car market. AT fans didn't even have an OPTION half the time--and the other half the time, 90% of that option was a "lesser or less capable" version. Shoe's on the other foot. Choke on it, you donkey-loving heathens. NOBODY cared about us. NOBODY gave 2 shits about the AT guys and how we languished in the mire of indifference for auto manufacturers. WE (the AT guys) didn't have the voice the MT bitch-whores do. Not only did the MFG's ignore us, the MT guys PLAYED WHITE MUTHERFUCKIGN KNIGHTS and loudly shouted us down. So we never even got the light of day. And this went on for DECADES.

Well IT'S ABOUT FUCKING TIME that halo cars don't cater to the MT fanbois; ya'll fucks deserve it for the HELL you've made us AT guys live through. I don't care that you can't get a GT500 mustang in MT--go fuck a duck. Go buy a GT350 and cry yourself to sleep; because nobody else is shedding tears for the hell-hole that you are ONLY JUST NOW BEGINNING TO CONCEPTUALLY GRASP THE DEPTH OF. You are now experiencing but a taste of the abject void that the AT guys have been languishing under hitherto.

I hope to god that the Bronco Warthog/Raptor DON'T OFFER ANY MT OPTION. You don't deserve it. Go aftermarket jury-rig that shite if you want. At least there's SOME modicum of purists who will help you in that. NOBODY BUT NOBODY was willing to aftermarket concoct AT solutions for my crowd. Even on the 3/s platform, about 90% of my brethren would mock me for not just buying a VR4 to begin with. Well ya'll MT fans need to experience some PAIN....and this is just a taste. Ford kowtowing you guys is irritating the snot out of me; not because I don't think MT should be an option at all....but because as a matter of PRINCIPLE, you heathens shouldn't even have a choice. That's the anguish you have made us AT guys live with. #NOSYMPATHY.

[/Rant]

The one. The only. verified Feedback Score 14 (100%) stealthee's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    I think I think the only one here that's butthurt is you.

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I'm also the only one here who cares about the Bronco...let alone probably the only one besides you who pays attention to this thread.

p.s.
    did the 3/s community just give in and go back to the AF hell of 3sdie?

pps

and yes...you're damn right i'm peeved. and i wouldn't expect you or most people here to understand. the concept of "not having one's choice of transmission" in automotive land is a fairly new concept for the purists. and rather overdue, imho.
    Last edited by IPD; 09-23-2020 at 11:17 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast