Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Best comparison I could find in a quick search:

https://fordauthority.com/2020/01/wh...e-f-150-video/

BAD ASS - I've got one Not Verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) j2k4's Avatar
    Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    Brian, Carlos has invited you and Dave to call him crazy - please get this done before you go any further.
    Ranked No. #1 in initial quality

Idiots, simply by being idiots, seem capable of achieving randomly bad things that are beyond the imaginings of sensible people.

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified Feedback Score 8 (100%) IPD's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I can say that twin-scroll turbos seem to be the wave of the future for turbocharging, and Ford has won praise for the I4's using this technology.

*edit* I had thought about how a reverse flow V6 like Audi/BMW have might be a good twin-scroll solution as well. But I think the engineering principle is probably a bit more complex and has to do with the degrees of spacing between exhaust charges and that's where the merits of single-bank-fed turbos vs. dual-bank-fed turbos are a bit foggy in my understanding.

God forbid Ford ever puts this technology in a successor to the Coyote (GM already has this on the Cadillac 4.2L Blackwing v8--a variant of which I hope makes its way to the c8).

https://media.cadillac.com/media/us/...-turbo-v8.html
    https://www.autozine.org/technical_s...duction_4.html

And this is the dream. The perfect turbocharging solution:

Last edited by IPD; 07-26-2020 at 03:34 AM.

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified Feedback Score 8 (100%) IPD's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    *thread hijack* *puts on armchair engineer wizarding hat*

Ok, so I've been reading up on it a bit more. "Hot V" V6 engines aren't really a thing in mass production at present, but yes--they benefit from the same twin-scroll tech. The gist is that every single-crankshaft engine has the same degrees of rotation for a complete cycle (720); but that this is divided by the number of cylinders in the engine.

https://dsportmag.com/the-tech/twin-...-great-divide/

By using twin turbos (like the 6g72's traditional layout), the degrees of exhaust charge spacing is essentially doubled (from 120 on NA to 240 with twin-turbos). A single twin-scroll turbo then can be thought of as mimicking the effect of twin turbos in a single turbo--because it spaces out the exhaust charges identically to how twin turbos would. That so whereas a N/A v8 would separate exhaust charges by 90 degrees, a conventional twin turbo setup doubles this to 180. And a twin-scoll, twin-turbo v8 setup doubles this again to 360. Application of this same principle to a V6 would result in a twin-scroll, twin turbo exhaust charge separation of 480.

Now as to where the delta-P sweet spot is with regards to spacing between exhaust charges & maximizing scavenging via said pressure differential--that I'll leave to someone with an engineering degree. Although effectiveness of this likely varies a bit with RPM, manifold/exhaust sizing, and engine displacement...there is probably a point of diminishing returns where we can say that > x-number of spacing that there is little benefit (or negative benefit). For example, a twin-turbo, twin-scroll I4 would literally have 720 spacing on exhaust charges--which probably defeats any scavenging effect (though I cannot say with certainty).

Alternately, modifying the size of piping to produce more rapid scavenging could be paired with a commensurate change in the sizing of a turbo. Think of how a G672 would benefit by having the effective charge of a 9b on both sides twin-scroll (not a split 9b housing, but rather 9b CFM rate on both sides of an indeterminate sized twin-scroll). This would keep low-end response while greatly improving high-end capability. What if (hypothetically) we could modify two 16g into a twin scroll and we had a 6G72 hot-v engine. We could--theoretically--spool those 16gs hundreds of RPM lower--greatly reducing turbo lag (see article above).

So whereas the conventional wisdom has been a choice between spool speed and top-end capability; twin scroll largely allows for a big(er) turbo while still keeping civilized low-end RPM spool (300-400 rpm lower in their tested setup). The days of simply slapping any old manifold and some turbos on and calling it "good enough"---those are coming to an end. I'm glad that engineering has kept moving forward.

BAD ASS - I've got one Not Verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) j2k4's Avatar
    Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    I already don't have enough money to go nuts with my Stealth....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123