Thread: It was between a Stealth and this... I chose this.

LW fears my posts Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since
    1996, 1st Stealth TT; 2000, current TT

Thanks

It was between a Stealth and this... I chose this.

Hey guys. I don't frequent this site too often anymore but I always keep an eye out for a good deal on a Stealth or 3kgt, and a couple months back I was in the mood for a new toy. Something to tinker on, and I think I was feeling nostalgic too, as I was looking at several different 90's cars that I'd always liked but never owned. I did find a really good deal on a Stealth TT that was in impeccable shape, with an exterior and interior that looked brand new, only 36k miles on it too. But, I happened upon something else, for the same amount of money, and it just proved to be too irresistible.

Anyway... My search wasn't confined to just cars, and so I happened upon a Ducati 996 that I'd always loved the looks of. The 916, 996, and 998 are some of the most iconic looking motorcycles ever designed, and I really loved the 996 when it was showcased in the Matrix Reloaded. I'd never owned a Ducati before (I'd had plenty of friends who did, and most of them, especially earlier models, suffer from high maintenance costs and somewhat poor reliability) and until now, had merely appreciated them for their looks. Anyway, there was one locally for sale, and though it was in extremely rough shape and I did not buy it, it planted the seed for me to find a 996 that would fit what I was looking for.

So here she is. Not too many come up for sale these days, and I don't think production numbers were ever really that high, so I had to buy it out of state and have it shipped to me. I've already had to put thousands into her to get her where she should be, but at this point, she should be good for 10k+ trouble free miles.

Ducati996.jpg

I've been replacing the carbon fiber bits with new as the originals are all old and faded but it's been a struggle as not many places make parts for these anymore. The original Ducati Performance pieces are simply unobtainium now, and aftermarket is very hit or miss when it comes to finish and fitment. Eventually I'll have it looking like new again, but it'll take some time.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to UTRacerX9 For This Useful Post: