Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two odd lean conditions

Forum User verified Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks

Two odd lean conditions

I am having two odd lean conditions and I'm not certain they are related.

The first:
    after extended engine braking (like approaching a red light thats still far away) once I press the clutch in the idle will drop hard (~500rpm), may even want to stall, AFR pegs lean. I have to blip the throttle a couple times to get it back. You can see in the log that the IDC drops to 0% during decel, the idle switch is on, and once a press the clutch the idle drops like a rock. You can see me blip the throttle a couple times. Apparently I killed the log before the afr returned to 14.7, but the idle did recover. It seems that this only starts to happen after the engine is warm. I didn't want to muddy the picture too much, but the stock o2 gauges are behaving as expected and fuel trims are >10% (I know have those within 2% and the issue persists). I find it interesting that the ISC doesn't try to correct the problem until I start to blip the throttle.
    lean_after_engine_brake.png

The second:
    very occasionally on light acceleration I'll get a blip of lean with a loss of power. What I find interesting is that the IDC drops during that time as well, almost like the ECU wanted it to happen...
    lean_spikes.png

EDIT - Possible 3rd issue, although perhaps its related to the second. Occasionally during cruise the car goes full lean (>18AFR). It will eventually recover on its own. It will also temporarily recover once getting into boost (or perhaps into open-loop). The whole event will last 10 seconds or so, and after coming back out of boost it will likely go back to being lean again.
    Last edited by q2418130103p; 07-06-2019 at 12:06 PM.

Owner Since

Thanks
    1) I drove around yesterday with short term fuel trims disabled and I noticed that I wasn't having the lean after engine brake problem. It wasn't a scientific test in the sense that I didn't engine brake for as long, or as hard, as possible. So I dont really understand what portion of code is being used during engine braking, and I don't really understand what tells the injectors to basically turn off even though the AFRMAP output still reads 14.7. That being said I assume that short term fuel trims are not updated during engine braking so my guess is that whatever entry I have in the VE smoothing table for the airflow associate with the cruise condition just before engine braking must be rich so the short term fuel trim starts to lean it out but then once I return to a normal idle (where I've tested pretty thoroughly that the VE smoothing table entry is correct) I am temporarily lean until the short term fuel trim catches up.

2) No progress here except that I can get it to happen pretty regularly under a certain light throttle, slight acceleration, condition. Not that I think this is the problem, but I just ordered some standard tune-up stuff since its been awhile (5+ years / <10k miles).

Thermal Engineer- Mmbr Since:8/2005 verified Feedback Score 0 Alex3000gt's Avatar
    Owner Since
    6/2005

Thanks
    On 2), weird that your injector duty cycle is dropping as your wb02 is reading leaner. Am I reading that plot correctly?

How’s your fuel pressure looking?

Owner Since

Thanks
    Yea, that's how I read it as well which make's me think the car is doing exactly what the computer is telling it to do... Fuel pressure (at idle) is fine, but I have no way to look/log it while driving.

I decided to redo my tune by adjusting injector latency and size to set fuel trims, and then driving around with short term fuel trims off to set the VE smoothing table. (By the way... this is a really annoying process because I want to get the 200-300 Hz range working better, but that's always the place where I am increasing throttle and so I get some tip-in lean condition that contaminates the measurement).

Anyway, between that, changing my PTU, and uninstalling my Apexi Neo (which was disabled, but still installed) and I have yet to notice either of these conditions. I only have about 40 miles on it though so there's a chance I just got lucky.

Thermal Engineer- Mmbr Since:8/2005 verified Feedback Score 0 Alex3000gt's Avatar
    Owner Since
    6/2005

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by q2418130103p View Post
    Yea, that's how I read it as well which make's me think the car is doing exactly what the computer is telling it to do... Fuel pressure (at idle) is fine, but I have no way to look/log it while driving.

I decided to redo my tune by adjusting injector latency and size to set fuel trims, and then driving around with short term fuel trims off to set the VE smoothing table. (By the way... this is a really annoying process because I want to get the 200-300 Hz range working better, but that's always the place where I am increasing throttle and so I get some tip-in lean condition that contaminates the measurement).

Anyway, between that, changing my PTU, and uninstalling my Apexi Neo (which was disabled, but still installed) and I have yet to notice either of these conditions. I only have about 40 miles on it though so there's a chance I just got lucky.
    Fingers crossed!

Owner Since

Thanks
    So its decidedly NOT fixed.

As far as '1' goes (lean condition at idle after engine braking), the problem seems to be a bit masked by a better ability to hold idle. Maybe that's coincidence, maybe that's the PTU, maybe thats a better tune, I don't know. But I do know that the car continues to have this issue of lean idle (>20AFR) after heavy engine braking which resolves itself after 5-10 seconds.

For '2' (occasional lean condition on slight acceleration) I've found that there are certain sections of road, gear, and throttle position that can force it to happen. Which makes me think this issue might have to do with turbo stability (slightly wrong sized turbos). I would expect that issue to result in a rich condition (double metering air or something like that). Maybe I should try a datalog with just airflow, will that get better time resolution in the log?

If fact, '2' seems to have gotten even worse (or maybe its a new problem entirely). Occasionally under light cruise throttle I'll get a near total fuel cut (>20AFR). The gas pedal will basically do nothing, the car will continue to idle, but not great. Obviously, there's no power to speak of. Here's the interesting part though, if I open the throttle enough to get to 0 psi boost i IMMEDIATELY get fuel back... This was VERY repeatable, I was able to do this at least 5 times during the last spell.

I wonder if all three issues stem from some sort of vacuum problem? I decided to get a new diaphragm for my AEM A1000 FPR just in case.

Could the issue possibly have to do with an ECU signal for high/low mode? I am running a hotwire walbro pump. Maybe I could set chrome to never take the pump out of 'high' mode and see what happens, or maybe bypass the fuel pump resistor (although I think I've done this already, I'll have to check).
    Last edited by q2418130103p; 06-25-2019 at 06:14 PM.

Member verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) B-Man's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Your second issue looks like what my stealth was doing with 13Ts. I went through 3 different sized injectors and they all did it.

How I fixed it was with ChromeECU lowering the point where the transition from close to open loop changed. I think you're just getting into a point in the maps Mitsu never expected you to get to, so leaning is sort of an 'error handling'

What are you even running? Inj size? Turbos? Tuning using?
    Last edited by B-Man; 06-26-2019 at 09:56 AM.
    '92 Dodge Stealth RT/TT - Aug. 2012 COTM

Owner Since

Thanks
    13t, 550cc pte injectors, chromedecu. I don't know a ton about turbo sizing but after looking at some compressor curves and trying to overlay load lines I think that 13t's operate on the hairy edge of stable under low rpm 2-5psi situations... although I guess that doesn't apply here since this situation was solidly in vacuum.

I like where your head is at with your suggestion. It is certainly the case for the 2nd issue that the ecu is commanding the condition to happen since you can see the injector pulse width drop. I'm a bit confused about your suggestion though. Do you think its running open-loop when it should be closed, or closed when it should be open?

If its running closed loop then I don't think any maps are being used. I think it's just the airflow, trim and ve smoothing table. I just checked the log and the afrmap was 14.7 the whole time, the load was ~25, and the tps was ~14%. I'm pretty sure that's all closed loop. I attached a new plot of that log that has that info, as well as the VE (as proof that it's unlikely my VE smoothing table is causing the problem). Just an fyi on that plot, the left axis is air flow, and VE.

log.jpg

Member verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) B-Man's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    It's trying to close the loop when it shouldn't be. Looking again, my issue was probably different. My ECU was trying really hard to keep me at 14.7afr at low rpm into boost (like 4-5psi). I think there's an old thread on here somewhere.

Gotta remember your trim only moves so fast and so far, so if you're using the same trim at cruising (which I was), it would be way off when I got into this condition and wouldn't be able to adjust fast enough. IE, pulls fuel at cruise, now causing a lean condition to be more lean.

I'm dealing with pretty ancient information in my head, but Open and closed loops use the same base maps/tables, closed loop is just adjusted by o2 feedback. IIRC in later years certain trims would affect open-loop control as well.

Regardless, you're saying you were in vacuum the whole time. Do a leak down and makes sure your IAC is working.

Member Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Trims are just adders to the final fuel calculation. Long term trim is applied even in open loop. So yes, all the maps are used all the time, open or closed loop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast