Thread: Yet another wiring assistance thread

The one. The only. verified
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks

Yet another wiring assistance thread

Instead of burying this question in my resurrection thread I figured I'd make a new thread. Hoping Larry or Steve sees this.

Ok, so to recap the car is a 91 3000GT SL and still has the 3000GT body harness. The engine is a SOHC. The ECU and engine harness are from a 94-95 Fed Spec SOHC.

The issue I am running into right now is for the radiator fans. I knew all along that the 1g's had the sensors in the radiator. What I didn't realize was the harness for the sensors was incorporated into the main fan wiring harness and the 1g main fan had a different plug.

Now I do have a 1g fan to use, but my question is how do I tackle this? I have the sensors in my coolant neck and they are plugged into my engine harness.

What do I do about the other sensor plugs? Do I need to get the rad sensors and install them and have redundant sensors? Can I just splice the 1g plugs into the 2g wiring? Do I even need to do anything with the 1g plugs other than tie them off since I have the 2g engine harness?

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    There is no redundancy... The sensors in the water crossover are present on both gens. The 1G uses the switches in the radiator, the 2G uses the ECU(getting the temp info from the coolant temp sensor). If you still have the 1G body harness and six pin plug at the radiator, you theoretically should be able to just install a 1G fan and rad switch assembly and go.

I don't know what other land mines might be in store for you with the 2G engine harness hooked to a 1G body harness, but the connections between the two are only a couple connectors, it wouldn't be too difficult to check the pinouts and diagrams for both and confirm everything matches up.

Real Performance Automotive (541)816-4500 www.FB.com/RealPerformanceAuto

The one. The only. verified
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Thanks Larry. I'll get the 1g sensors and install them in the rad.

I've known all along I'd run into some weird things as I went further into this. I still need to run a wire to run the factory oil pressure gauge. On the SOHC that wire is in the body harness. It comes out in a similar area to where the alternator wiring comes out of the body harness on the DOHC.

Thanks again. I was beating my head off the wall trying to determine what had to be done.

Monogamous Gigolo verified
    Owner Since
    October 2009

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    This one would of been out of my league, glad Larry was able to answer it.