Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue3kgtsl's 1999 VR4 resto-bpu-bolt ons thread

Member Not Verified Feedback Score 3 (100%) Unknownvr4's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

Blue3kgtsl's 1999 VR4 resto-bpu-bolt ons thread

I'm starting this thread to document the progress of my newly acquired 1999 VR4. I was not looking to buy another car since I already don't have enough room and I'm trying to finish up my 94 stroker single turbo car. However, while looking at used VR4s for a coworker, I came across this car -only an hour and a half from me- and absolutely had to pick it up. I went look at the car on Feb 24th and then brought it home on March 3rd.

This '99 has 124,000 miles, is number 175, black on black, fairly stock (ebay exhaust, ebay front turbo manifold, ebay mbc, and who knows what brand Y-Pipe) - more on this later - and I'm the 3rd owner. It has some flaws in the paint, fading on the sail panels, and some side swipe damage on the driver rear quarter (not too bad, but enough for me to be upset about it). The deeper scratches were covered up by fingernail polish . I have the full history of this vehicle, the power antenna, both front regulators, timing belt (belt only), and transmission (due to leaking) were all replaced fairly recently.

The driver turn signal was cracked and headlights were yellowed pretty bad when I first picked it up. Luckily I had bnib 99 turns already and quickly swapped it out then buffed the headlights to a much better condition.

Right now I am having an annoying issue with the CD player. I had put in an old CD on the 2nd day I owned the car and E03 displayed; nothing played and the CD could not be ejected. Looking it up revealed a disc load error. The next day the CD ejected and I threw that CD away. CDs loaded and played fine after but yesterday while cruising, I was finished with a CD and tried to eject it, but the button did nothing and the CD continued to play.

My initial plans for this car are to:
    Get the 120k and all other maintainance done ASAP complete
    get the exterior back to showroom condition (interior is close to mint already)
    Put a set of matching tires on (currently has 3 different brands) complete
    suspension complete, driveshaft, and engine mounts complete need attention
    Take all the BS eBay parts off and replace with quality/rare parts complete
    Bring the sound system up to par complete

Current Mod list (3/2022)-

Engine:
    DNP Precat Deletes
    ATR downpipe
    IPS 4" titanium HKS carbon/Ti exhaust
    EGR blockoffs
    DNP Intercooler piping
    DSM SMIC
    Dejon Preturbo piping
    Evo 9 bov
    Maximal Solid front and rear engine mounts
    3sx radiator

Tuning & Fuel:
    Flash tuned
    Kyosan/Denso Supra Pump
    3SX fuel loop
    Evo 450s
    GM maf + maft in stock draw through config
    Charcoal canister removed

Brakes & Suspension:
    Intrax lowering springs
    Hawk HPS pads
    Volk GT-C's F19x8.5 +27 R19x9.5 +24

----------
    Shortly after purchase

The next day after a needed wash

I picked up a few small powder coated items and a black ebrake handle with boot to replace my worn one from DrGonzo.

And taking her out for a drive with my girlfriend yesterday
    Last edited by Unknownvr4; 03-28-2022 at 05:21 PM.
    -Benn
    Master Elite KIA Technician
    Past> Level 3 Chrysler & Bronze level Hyundai
    1994 3000GT VR4 - #175 Black/Black 99 VR4
    2013 135is - 1988 Toyota Supra Turbo - Hers
    Follow my build thread here

Owner Since

Thanks
    Alright, so I can only start off this next post by saying -

This car is addicting. I can't stop driving it. I have been driving it for a week straight. It didn't help that my 335's battery had died; that just gives me an excuse to keep driving it.

I did do a few small things today...

I didn't like how low the oil pressure was reading at a hot idle - Yes its the factory gauge but I didn't know what weight or oil was in the car before. He had just told me Royal purple - yuck. I changed it out to Valvoline VR1 20w50. The engine sounds like it runs much quieter now and the factory gauge looks way better. I still need to do the 120k, just waiting on the parts.

I noticed shortly after the purchase that there was an aftermarket fan in front of the condenser. This was making the car cool down while driving on the interstate, especially on the colder nights. Weird, but I didn't really have the time to take it off until today. Of course this could be hiding a bigger issue, but I rather fix it correctly instead of keeping this bandaid on. Luckily, the older Kias used Mitsubishi electronics, parts, engines, etc - I ended up having a brand new connector for the a/c fan to replace the hack job fan install.

The car still seems to cool down while driving on the interstate. I'm going to get a new thermostat to install while I do the 120k and that will probably solve the issues.

I purchased some goodies too that I will be installing during the 120k - DNP precat eleminators and an ATR downpipe. As far as the cat back, I still want to get that eBay system off, but I would really like to find another IPS titanium 4" system OR a Yogurt ICH 4" system. (Yea I know, when pigs fly; just like the chances of me finding another Ohiospyderman short throw.)

Owner Since

Thanks
    I went ahead and installed the DNP precat eleminators and ATR downpipe this weekend. Unfortunately since I still have that craptacular front Ebay manifold on the car, I had to make a spacer to get it all to fit. Everything should fit perfectly once the OEM manifold is back on the car. I also ripped the crappy mbc off the car and fixed some boost leaks and the car pulls way better now. I took the car to its first and my first scca autocross event yesterday and we did pretty good for our first time. I need some better tires on it though as well as a suspension refresh; those will hopefully help out with the understeer a little.

I don't have a gopro yet but my girlfriend recorded this back section. She did it in slowmo though which made it just a little bit cooler lol.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Update

Since the last update, I have installed a Kyosan/Denso Supra fuel pump, tried my hand at polishing the paint, scooped up some dejon preturbo piping, and dropped the car a tad on some Volk GT-C's that I'm going to restore once my 94 is completed.

Maintenance items should be in on Thursday so that I can completely catch this thing up.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Starting with unfortunate news. A few weeks ago my 99 was parked way in the middle of my girlfriends parents yard, far away from the driveway and other cars. Somehow my girlfriends dad ended up backing up into it. I had my PDR buddy "fix" it for me but it still needs a fender to be 100% again.

This weekend I was able to get the ebay front turbo manifold swapped with a stock one and the crappy ebay intake switched to a K&N FIPK. I was able to get rid of the 1/2 inch spacer I had between the dnp front precat eleminator and the atr downpipe. The fit is still not perfect but at least I dont have a spacer in my exhaust or an exhaust leak anymore. I read that dnp wasnt always spot on with their fitment so I blame that.

We also took care if the valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, and wires while we were there. Not that there was anything wrong with the spark plug wires, but they were the MSDs that left the tube open. I had some Accels I had kept from my 94 and threw those on instead.

This week I will be changing the front and rear engine mounts to solid, installing dejon intake pipes, installing dnp intercooler piping and dsm sidemounts, leading up to the 120k this weekend. It's almost time for the next autocross.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Unknownvr4 For This Useful Post:

Forum User Feedback Score 3 (100%) Unlogic's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    This looks like a nice and well looked after 99. You are right about the DNP precats, they should fit as good as the OEM parts. At least mine did.

BAD ASS - I've got one Not Verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) j2k4's Avatar
    Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknownvr4 View Post
    I like the look of a house with 3 3Ss parked in front.
    Ranked No. #1 in initial quality

Idiots, simply by being idiots, seem capable of achieving randomly bad things that are beyond the imaginings of sensible people.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    I like the look of a house with 3 3Ss parked in front.
    You missed my 94 in the garage lol

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Unknownvr4 For This Useful Post:

Owner Since

Thanks
    Last night I pulled an all nighter. Not the smartest thing to do in the middle of a work week, but the job is done and I'm awake.

The engine mounts were worse than I thought they were, i did feel the engine moving a lot but didnt think they were as bad as they were. I swapped the front and rear with maximal solids and I plan on getting a new oem set for the sides.

Thankfully before I tried installing the DNP intercooler piping, I had read that the 99 SMICs are different. Unfortunately I didnt read that I was going to have problems with my charcoal canister - so after fighting it for a while, I gave up and ripped it out. I had a set of DSM SMICs a buddy had given to me that I threw on with the DNP intercooler piping last night. I also installed the Dejon preturbo piping, 3sx fuel loop, and did the exhaust side of the EGR blockoff. I'm almost not embarrassed to pop my hood anymore...

DSM SMICs peeking out

Next time I post the 120k will be completed.

Forum User Feedback Score 3 (100%) Unlogic's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Your really making some progress on the car!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast