Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blue3kgtsl's 1999 VR4 resto-bpu-bolt ons thread

Member Not Verified Feedback Score 3 (100%) Unknownvr4's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by box View Post
    Truckin' hell. What's the towing capacity of a beast like that?
    Around 14000 conventional towing, 16800 gooseneck towing.
    -Benn
    Master Elite KIA Technician
    Past> Level 3 Chrysler & Bronze level Hyundai
    1994 3000GT VR4 - #175 Black/Black 99 VR4
    2013 135is - 1988 Toyota Supra Turbo - Hers
    Follow my build thread here

Owner Since

Thanks
    Changed out the ksports in favor of a kyb/intrax combo and put the chromies back on. Got a great deal on some Yokohama Advan AD08R tires. Feels good having a matching set on the chromies finally. Also put some small spacers on to make the wheels flush. Much better ride

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Owner Since

Thanks
    The wife bought me some garage alpha floor mats for Christmas and they really brought the interior back to life.

Rebuilt the throttle body on the 99 this weekend, the car runs so much better now. Need to tweek the tune some but probably wont mess with it too much - just iron out a rough spot in the midrange. I also changed the trans fluid since i never got around to it yet. It was notchy when cold in 2nd and more so in 3rd, put some Mitsubishi gear oil in and now its smooth as silk.

I ordered some new oem sail panels as mine are almost completely faded now, just waiting the month delivery from japan.

I took the GTCs apart and started stripping the barrels to polish them. If anyone needs to strip any paint, dont buy aircraft paint remover anymore. The new formula does not contain methylene chloride and therefore hardly works at all. Instead i found better luck using goof off graffiti remover (not the goo gone one). Didnt worry about stripping the faces since they will be sand blasted at powdercoat anyway.

Owner Since

Thanks
    A few months ago i had to replace the alternator on the car with one from autozone. Right out the box it was a piece of shit, but you have to order them so it wasn't like I could return it and get another the same day. When you would turn the pully, the internal fan would hit on something, so i disassembled it, inspected everything, and reassembled - no more clicking sound.

That alternator lasted maybe 500 miles and about the time it started having voltage issues, I bought a new house with a nice shop. I knew it would be a while before I had time to replace it so the car sat and I ordered a NEW alternator from autozone to warranty out the reman one which is no longer available through them.

I finally had the time to work on the car again this week, so I tore it down to replace the alternator and what do you know, the NEW alternator wasn't correct for 3/S's. It had a 12mm stud for the positive terminal and a threaded pull nut for the top mounting bolt. It looked exactly the same besides those two issues. Luckily I have a parts car so I ripped the alternator off it to put on my 99. The one off the parts car had been replaced with some brand called LAtrical which from my research looks to be based in California but appear to only sell on Amazon and eBay. Fingers crossed it actually lasts. Moral of the story - just buy a reman from Mitsubishi.

Right before the alternator I upgraded to evo 560cc injectors, maft, and 3.75 LS maf in the stock location, now I need to tune the car. (And its ready for bigger turbos now)

Owner Since

Thanks
    In one of my last post, I stated I had oem sail panels on the way and I was refinishing the GT-Cs. Well here it is, the car needs a detail:

The one. The only. verified Feedback Score 14 (100%) stealthee's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    So fresh, so clean

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

7. The Following User Says Thank You to stealthee For This Useful Post:

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Very cool

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to executivebrokers1 For This Useful Post:

Senior (i.e. OLD) Member :) verified Feedback Score 4 (100%) OhioSpyderman's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    That BEAUTIFUL shop screams LIFT!!!!!

Wish I had a place that big to work on mine

Bob.
    95 Caracus Red Spyder VR4 (sold 6/12/21 )
    Cianci FG Viper Hood/Aerocatch Pins
    Quad Carbon Fiber Tipped Borla Catback
    Stock 18" 6 Spoke Chromies
    K&N FIPK
    Indiglo Gauges
    JimVR4's Remote Start/Top Op Computer

92 Wheat Beige Metallic Stealth TT (sold 6/14/20 )

OhioSpyderman Short Shifter (in both!!!)
    SBC-iD Boost Controller (in both!!!)

Oldest son - 94 Danube Blue VR4 (sold 10/19)
    Middle son - 93 Panama Green VR4

11. The Following User Says Thank You to OhioSpyderman For This Useful Post:

Owner Since

Thanks
    Cleaned the car up and got some half decent exhaust clips.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Sometime in May, the car developed a coolant leak and the battery had been acting up for a few months to the point I had to jump it off all the time. I had a feeling I knew where the leak was coming from ( I was changing the turbo coolant hoses and throttle body hoses as they broke before) so I decided to just let the car sit in the shop a while so I could take care of other things around the house and shop.

I'm in the middle of painting and building a 1G GSX for my youngest brother which takes up just about my entire weekends that I dont work.

I ordered and installed a mini split ac unit in the shop - which was another reason to let the car sit, a small fan blowing on you during 100 degree days won't do much. We also had a decent sized above ground pool put in about the same time.

Hurricane Ida came through and it was almost a direct impact here. We had power back almost the next day thankfully but we cleaned the yard of leaves and tree limbs for the next week.

Finally I felt I could put some time into my car. I ordered upper and lower radiator hoses and an oem thermostat (didn't really need since I replaced it once already but I wanted to be thorough). After taking off everything necessary to get to those hoses I started removing the thermostat and radiator hoses. The thermostat housing had heavy corrosion from all these years and in that moment I knew how I would fix it all.

I sent a spare thermostat housing and crossover tube to the powdercoater. I ordered all 3 gaskets for the housing, the 2 orings for the crossover tube, the heater hose fittings, and -an lines and fittings for the turbo cooling system. After receiving it all and the parts back I tapped the housing, reinstalled, and ran the lines. Replaced the heater hoses, and picked up new hose to run to the throttle body. I had a new OEM battery wiring sitting a while and decided to throw that on while there was excess space to work. Speaking of batteries, I ordered and received an antigravity lithium battery. I was unsure of the original radiators internal condition so I just decided to steal the 3sx one out of the white car. I somewhat regret that decision and may either bring my original radiator to a shop that rebuilds them or something. I don't remember the 3sx radiator having fitment issues - at least the first one I had didn't but his was a newer one.

-The top mounting brackets had to be persuaded to line up the holes
    -the radiator rests right on the nut for the line on the condenser even though I grinded it flush. (I don't remember them fitting this way before)
    -The passenger fan might hit my dejon intake tube, not sure if this was always the case with previous versions.
    -The driver bracket had to be clearanced for the dnp hard pipe kit (this one is probably a non issue for oem hoses or FMIC)

So this is where we are right now. Tomorrow, im going to pressure test to make sure there are no leaks before reassembling, flush the rest of that nasty crap out then bleeding the system. Aiming to have the car driving Friday to be able to double check everything before cars and coffee on Saturday.

I know you can't see the crossover and the thermostat housing you can only see slightly. I'm hoping the coating protects them better. I was going for an oem+ color and I think I nailed it. I'm going to get a little more stuff done this color and plan on zinc coating all the bolts later/soonish.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast