Thread: 91 vr4 no gear engagement

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks

91 vr4 no gear engagement

I purchased a 91 3000GT VR4 about a year-and-a-half ago. I've had a few problems with it but nothing too bad until just recently it came to my attention that the person I bought it from and who installed the engine did a half-assed job of doing so and installed one of the three bolts for the mount on transfer case and one that goes to the frame on the same mount. Anyways long story short, it broke part of the transfer case as the bolt sheared off, just a piece of the cast aluminum broke off. i lost 2nd 4th and reverse for a couple days and now I cannot get car into gear. I can literally spin the shifter inside car in a circle without it engaging into any of the gears or even trying to do so. Before I bought the car the guy said that any problems I had he would be more than happy to help I went to message him on Facebook turns out the mofo blocked me, who knows when but i wasn't able to get a hold of him. I tried the phone number that I had for him and I get a text back almost instantly asking who I was, I haven't heard back from him since. I'm getting off topic.. My question is are there any suggestions on what I should do next with trying to get car into gear. I've bled the clutch, checked the slave cylinder boot for a leakage. Maybe it's a shift linkage problem? Synchros? Throw out bearing? idk what could be the source of problem. I can do some repairs myself however do not have a lot of tools but can obtain if needed and little to no experience with Imports but can learn.. any advice is appreciated. thanks for your time

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    began when I lost 2nd , 4th and reverse leaving me with 1st , 3rd and 5th. And then about the span of a week I lost all the remaining gears. The last time I was able to get it in gear it felt as though the throw was just barely long enough if that's making sense, and ever since then it's not been able to engage either with the car running or with it turned off. And anyone / everyone's opinion what could be the the cause of these problems?

The one. The only. verified
    supporter
    Feedback Score 12 (100%) stealthee's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Check cables first. Pull the boot and check at the shifter. I've had the plastic sheath split allowing the cable to pop through not allowing shifting. Check at the transmission. I've had cable bushings separate and the metal ring just flops around. There are also Jesus clips that should hold the cable. Make sure they are in place. There is a holder that the cables go through that bolts to the top of the trans. Make sure it's bolted tight

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM