Thread: SOHC -DOHC Swap

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks

SOHC -DOHC Swap

Hello,

Long Story short. Have both a Base Stealth(SOHC) and Base 3000gt(DOHC), 3kgt is rusted to hell and back but the motor runs great and I am in the process of stripping all the remaining good stuff out of it.

My Stealth is SUPER clean body wise, but has a blown head gasket. Planning to try to fix that... but in the case that its non fixable I wanted to ask what I should save from the 3k DOHC to swap it over. Obviously want to do all the maintenance items while it is out but what do I need besides engine harness?

edit: Both are auto-trans cars. Would like to do a mt swap but thats a ways away since I have none of the required parts for that yet.

I got this list from 3si forums:

Complete dohc engine with all accessories including throttle body and fuel rails.
    Exhaust manifolds
    Engine wiring harness
    Dohc ecu
    Fuel lines from frame up to fuel rail or just the pressure line, return line is just cut to fit hose
    Power steering high pressure hose and reservoir
    Ac line from evap to compressor
    Heater hoses
    Swap oil pressure sender over to the DOHC if you want your guage to work

Is that all I need to keep? Once I'm done stripping the 3k it will be going to the junkyard unfortunately... the frame is just toast. Just want to make sure I keep anything I need for the swap.

The one. The only. verified Feedback Score 14 (100%) stealthee's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Another issue you need to compensate for is the alternator wiring. On the SOHC the alternator wiring is in the engine harness. On the DOHC the alternator wiring is in the body harness. It's been a long time since I regurgitated the list of requirements for a SOHC to DOHC swap, but it looks like you found most of the list, though the power steering pump itself is different from SOHC to DOHC. You may as well include the pump and all the lines to the cooler on your list. AC compressor is different. I believe the fuel rail is the same, and I know the injectors are the same from SOHC to DOHC.

Honestly it would probably just be easier to fix the SOHC and keep the DOHC engine for a later project. Ironically I am in the process of putting a SOHC engine into a DOHC car. Its a long story, which can be read in my "build" thread (that I actually need to update), but its actually easier to put the SOHC into the DOHC car. I'm still going to have a few hurdles to jump

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    When you say body harness, do you mean the "B" section in the fsm? I am stripping my parts car down to bare metal(I have way too much time on my hands lol) and this is not a vehicle I depend on so stripping and replacing a harness... While a lot of work, I have no problem doing.

Agree that fixing the SOHC is the way to go though and is my plan for now.. I just dont want to throw away anything I will need in the future..

The one. The only. verified Feedback Score 14 (100%) stealthee's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Swapping the body harness would be a chore and a half. I took the time to pull one once. I wouldn't even as t to attempt trying to get one back in place.