Thread: JDM engine install gone bad

Unhappy JDM engine install gone bad

I recently installed a 1st gen jdm engine in a 95 vr4. I rechecked the way the crank and cam sensors are connected and it looks right. It runs but rich and fouls the plugs and disconnecting the mas and or both o2 sensors have no effect on how it runs. Oil pressure gauge reads zero but may not be related to the other problem. I checked the timing belt and the marks line up. I have a generic obd2 code reader and it won't connect. I don't know what to try next.

Member Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Need more details, especially about how you handled the cam and crank sensor situations. 1st Gen has no provisions for a crank sensor without swapping the oil pump, oil pan, and crank timing drive. So when I hear "installed 1st Gen engine", that is my first question. If you're running everything off the 1st gen CAS, need details on that.

The one. The only. verified
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    95 is still obd1. The connector on the 94 and 95 look just like an obd2 port but an obd2 scanner will not work on it.

If you do have a cel there is still a way to pull the code by grounding one of the pins. I can't recall off the top of my head which one it is, and don't have the ability to find it at this moment, but if someone else doesn't give you the info I'll find it lster.

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

Quote Originally Posted by stealthee View Post
    95 is still obd1. The connector on the 94 and 95 look just like an obd2 port but an obd2 scanner will not work on it.

If you do have a cel there is still a way to pull the code by grounding one of the pins. I can't recall off the top of my head which one it is, and don't have the ability to find it at this moment, but if someone else doesn't give you the info I'll find it lster.
    I have the 1st gen data logger for my '93 vr4. Can I somehow make a cable to get that working?

To connect the harness there is a thread that showed how to connect the '91 cas connector to the harness from the '93 and later 3kgt so that is what I did. I was going to change the oil pump, pan and rear head but this is a just ride to work. There is no CEL.

I have power at the MAS and the ignition is working so I think the wiring at the CAS is correct otherwise it wouldn't run at all. There is just no control of fuel mixture. It is at some default setting.

Member Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Also make sure no leaks in any of the intake/turbo pipes. A leak anywhere will screw with everything.

The most glaring issue is the harness at the ecu has been cut then repaired and This may be where the problem is. I just don't know which splice to concentrate on.

I have not been able to locate a OBD1 tool with the OBD2 plug in my car. Is this what is referred to as a hybrid car? Can use a later model engine harness and ecu to get to OBD2?