Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Bastard 2.0

The one. The only. verified Feedback Score 14 (100%) stealthee's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    I pulled the washer tank today because I had lost almost all of the washer fluid when I got it all set up. I was thinking I had a crack in the tank or something. I decided to test it before I pulled the pump and installed in another tank so I filled it with water and proceeded to the next project.

The other project for the day was to install a headunit. I picked up a cheap $20 bluetooth headunit to put in it for now. I soldered and heat shrinked everything up now I can listen to music when I go places in it.

Back to the washer tank it was still completely full of water. I think what had happened is it was gravity feeding to the y connection I have and leaking at that connection. I zip tied the connection to make it tighter and it doesn't seem to have leaked anything since reinstall. I have to loosen the battery back up though because I realized after I buttoned things up that I forgot to plug the damn pump back in.

Other than that I ordered the "temporary" paint for the car. I should have it by the end of the week. I just need to finish up the last of the repairs on the hood and fix a few mounting points on the side skirts as well as finalize the mounting holes in the fenders. I also need to install the rear wide body fenders. That will be the biggest amount of work needed before paint, other than sanding the whole car.

I'm probably going to take the whole front end off the car and paint it off the car to try to keep overspray from getting on anything under the bay. When I paint the rest of the car I'll just wrap up the the whole front end really well.

I'm excited to get this stage done. Once the paint is done I am going to focus on a few finer details I have planned, then on the the next big project...

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    All I really managed to get done today was getting the pump plugged back in. My nephew had called and asked for help with his math homework, which we ended up doing all his lessons for the week, so that took longer than expected. Then I stuck around and watched the kids while my brother went and transferred the title on a car he sold. For most of that time the weather was crap anyway, but it got better, and I was stuck not being able to do anything.

Might run and pick up a few supplies tomorrow. I need to get on this and stay on it so I can get it done.

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Of course, nothing goes as planned. I got up and ran into town this morning to pick up a few things. On the way home my brother called me and needed my assistance, so I lost about 2 hours with that. I finally get to go home, grabbed some lunch and went out to start on the car. I mixed up some resin to get a few areas fixed up a little more and go to work. Got the DA out and started sanding the rest of the hood while the resin dried. Sanded the roof too while I was at it. Was getting ready to hit the resined areas when my brother called again and needed help again.

The wind and the rain came in after that so I didn't get anything else done.

Once I'm able to get the resined areas sanded up I'll probably throw a coat of short strand fiberglass bondo to finish it out.

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    While updates have not been posted, I have been (trying to) getting stuff done. The problem though is I have been dealing with tedious things and experimenting along the way which has made some progress really slow down. Weather has also been very unkind to progress, but whatever.

I worked the hood a little more. I said it before, I am not a body man. I am just kind of winging it with the little bit of knowledge that I do have. I threw some heavier fiberglass mat on the areas that were still weak and then hit it with some fiberglass strand bondo

I don't have any pictures, but I also needed to do some repairs on some of the mounting tabs on the side skirts. As anyone who has dealt with removing 3s side skirts knows there are a few bolts and if someone doesn't know that and just yanks, then the tabs break. I attempted to repair these so the skirts mounted properly. It took some trial and error, but it ended up working out with a combination of fiberglass bondo, 2 part epoxy, and fiberglass and resin.

I also had to notch the fenders with the proper holes to mount the side skirts. This was painstaking in the amount of tediousness I went through to make sure everything was properly cut. I made 2 or 3 different patterns and measured and remeasured before I went at it with a dremel.

I set the drivers skirt up in place to verify everything lines up.

I did a little more work on them to make sure the tabs were strong enough and set both skirts on the following day

While they were on I threw the rear quarters on to get the full effect

I pulled the skirts and quarters back off then went to town on the drivers side with the DA after that. Went ahead and pulled the door cap too

Lastly, a low low shot

I really need to get a splitter to finish the look. I found a universal one on eBay and it may fit, but I'd hate to spend $100 and have it be too narrow, but it seems like it is one of the widest ones available. I sent a PM to Toni to see if he could measure his Skillard splitter just to ease my fears before I go buy something.

I picked up the Fusor today to adhere the rear quarters. If weather cooperates they may get attached over the weekend.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to stealthee For This Useful Post:

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Nice weather today and I had a second set of hands and eyes to help so I moved onto the rear quarters. No pics of the first part but I marked off about 1 inch all the way around and trimmed it off the wide body over fenders. This will allow me more room to work and smooth the transition. I also pulled the filler neck out of the way and marked the backside of the overlays with a sharpie to give me a reference for the filler door.

Next I set the quarters up on the car and aligned everything then put some self tappers in to old everything in place so I could check, double check, and triple check alignment. Once I was happy with how everything was sitting I traced around the overlays to give me a reference on where to sand/grind. I pulled the overlays back off then proceeded to grind away the paint at the adhesion point. I tackled the passenger side while my cousin took on the driver side to help speed things up.

Once paint was ground away

After that I hit the areas with some etching primer.

The purpose of the paint removal it to make sure of proper adhesion and no reactions with previous paint. The product I used was Fusor T21. I already had the applicator gun, else I may have used a difference system, but I know the Fusor line is good. The T21 is made to apply to bare or primed metal. I chose to prime the bare metal to help prevent future rust/corrosion problems.

The stuff I used has a 45 minute working time, but I didn't want to try to take pictures along the way during adhesion to save as much of that working time as possible. Before we set up for adhesion I used the die grinder and sanded the back side of the overlays where the T21 was going to be applied. Once I was happy we set the tube up with a mixing tip and started application.

Once happy with the bead we set the quarter up onto the car and aligned our previously drilled holes and put the self tappers back in, then applied more along the edge to assist in clamping the quarter in place with the epoxy dried.

That is basically how she is sitting right now. I could have already taken the screws back out, but I am going to wait til tomorrow to do that. Once all the screws are out I will feather the edge in to make the transition less drastic, then start working it with fiberglass bondo to make the transition disappear and make the overlay "one with the car"

When grinding the paint off the driver side my cousin found some bondo/filler right above where the top of the side skirt would be at. That doesn't shock me as I had found some in the driver door, and other small things found along the whole ride with this car. Its not a huge deal since I will be using filler to mold these in anyway. Only thing is if they would have fixed it right back then, then I wouldn't have as much filling to do. It is what it is though.

Obviously I still have to work the fuel tank door opening too. If I have any gaps in there, or near the wheel wells the nice thing about the T21 is it can be used as a filler as well. I still have a good bit left as well as mixing tips.

I just hope I can make these quarters look presentable. I have said before that I am not a body man in the least and I am pretty much just winging it based on things I have seen or assisted with over the years. Worst case is I can take it to my friend and let him do the final finish work before paint goes on.

We'll see how the weather goes, but I'll post more pictures as updates as I get them done.
    Last edited by stealthee; 05-10-2020 at 10:58 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to stealthee For This Useful Post:

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    The weather was utter crap on Monday. We had a high of like 41. Tuesday I ran into some roadblocks that slowed me down on the rear quarters. Long story short I got almost no adhesion on the areas below the sail panels on both sides. The fact that it happened on both sides leads me to believe it had something to do with the sharp body line right below that. I was able to create a gap to apply more adhesive and rescrew the panel down. So because of all that I wasn't able to do any work to the quarters, but I did get some sanding done on other parts of the car.

Today I didn't get started on the car til after 1 due other obligations. Once I got started I got sidetracked on some tedious work, like on the gas door opening. After getting it close (for now) I figured I needed to really push on the big projects and leave the tedious stuff for the end. Hit another small road block when I found another non adhered spot on the passenger side that I didn't get taken care of yesterday, but I got that taken care of, screwed down and moved on to the driver side.

First I feathered in the entire edge.

After that I decided to hit the whole thing with 180 to help smooth the overall transition

Next I mixed up the fiber glass filler and applied a coat around the entire edge. Don't mind the "messiness" of it. I tried something on the first layer and it didn't quite work how I liked

After it set I smoothed it out with 80, then 180

Hit it with another layer of fiberglass filler. This one went on way smoother

Once set I hit it with 80, 180, then 320

Next I mixed up some regular bondo filler and went to trying to make it all smooth

And once again after it set I went to sanding it down

Seam, what seam?

I did all this without a regular bondo squeegee. I am picking one up tomorrow. I am going to remove the rear bumper cover so I can clean the lines up there properly. Other than a few other small areas the driver side is almost good to go.

I should also remind you all that I am in no way a body man. I have NEVER done any major body work other than sand what my dad told me to sand when I was a kid helping him.
    Last edited by stealthee; 05-13-2020 at 09:27 PM.

BAD ASS - I've got one Not Verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) j2k4's Avatar
    Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    All that and VILLAINS, too...
    Ranked No. #1 in initial quality

Idiots, simply by being idiots, seem capable of achieving randomly bad things that are beyond the imaginings of sensible people.

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Villains on everything. Don't know if I ever said anything, but I got a set of Villains on my Lancer too.

As for today we had a steady drizzle this morning putting a damper on my progress. I was also dealing with some really bad back spasms, probably due to being hunched over the car working the quarter yesterday, so my motivation was limited anyway. It finally cleared up and I decided to see what I could get done today.

While I didn't get anything done to either quarter panel, I did do some straightening up of some things that had gotten piled in the shed to make room for parts getting taken off the car. I also got the rear bumper cover off, and took the headlights out. I had the front bumper cover 90% of the way off the car, then decided to wait til I got as much sanding done on it as I could while it was on the car. After that I'll take it off and do the rest of the sanding on some saw horses.

Back still wasn't feeling great so I made it an early night. Weather looks good for tomorrow, so hoping I can get the other quarter worked in and try to get some more finish work done on the driver side.

How I left the car today

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    I paced myself today so as to try to avoid dealing with back issues tomorrow. Also had a few random rain showers interrupt me through the day. We then ended up with a little bit of company this afternoon/evening for a few hours so my progress got halted there too.

I won't bore with details of the passenger side, just pics and quick description.

Tapered edges

Scuff whole quarter

First layer fiberglass bondo

Sand

Second layer

How I left it at the end of the night after some additional work

I still need to get my layer of regular bondo down before I decide how much additional work it needs to satisfy me. Also if you look the gas door is back on. While my brother was here we did some tweaking to get it closer. Still needs just a little bit, but once done I hope it will look like factory.

Weather looks good for tomorrow so my main goal is to finish the quarters to where I am pleased with the blend. If I manage to get that done I will get some more work done to finish the hood repairs.

Once those two projects are out of the way all that is left is sanding and final prep before paint.

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    I had already intended on today being a day where I really took my time, because I could feel my back tightening up. I got interrupted just as I was stopping to take lunch too. My brother was having a fit trying to get a universal joint changed for his truck so I ran up to help get that done. We ended up having to use the 20 ton press to get it apart.

Anyway back to the car. No point in details, just working the quarters some more.

The last two pictures are how I finished the day. I'm not quite happy with the transition by the drivers door. I am going to sand some more filler away and see how it works, and may end up sanding most of it away and skim coating it to make it good. Other than that I just need to do a little more work near the wheel arch bottoms, and then I think I will be good with the rear quarters.

Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast