Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Bastard 2.0

The one. The only. verified Feedback Score 14 (100%) stealthee's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Thanks Bob. Speaking of working hard, I got a late start on getting everything legal because I got called into work yesterday. I had to make some oilfield hoses and take them to St. Clairesville yesterday morning. I didn't get back till after 1. I had been hoping to have all my running done by that point, but didn't even get my running started until after 2. If things had went to plan I probably would have made other progress on the car. I did take it for a drive last night, another short one today.

I don't think paint will happen by the end of the year. I want to sort all the little things out and just drive it for now. With the weather starting to cool off I'm probably better off waiting till spring to shoot it anyway.

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

Stealth owner since '91 Feedback Score 0 Steve '92ES's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Can't wait to see the final product..
    +1!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve '92ES For This Useful Post:

BAD ASS - I've got one Not Verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) j2k4's Avatar
    Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    Brian, why do the 1G Stealth skirts look perfect on your car and not on mine?

I've got 2G 3KGT skirts stashed for the repaint I'll likely never do.
    Ranked No. #1 in initial quality

Idiots, simply by being idiots, seem capable of achieving randomly bad things that are beyond the imaginings of sensible people.

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    I dunno. It is always the vision I had in my head when I started this creation.

I can't wait to drive it to work for the first time. Hoping I can get the windows cleaned up, wipers installed, and a few other things done this week, but with inventory fast approaching it might not happen til the weekend as I might be pulling some late nights through the week. We will see, but one thing is for sure, since I am paying to have this thing legal now, it will get more progress to make it more drivable.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stealthee For This Useful Post:

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    I've took it for some short trips a few times this week. As expected I didn't get anything done through the week, and was busy yesterday with finishing up some household projects, then I ended up buying a new mattress set, and my mom bought a new chair for herself so I was busy with getting the old stuff out and new stuff in.

Anyway, I went out today and started on getting all the old window tint glue off the windows. I started off with ammonia and it was working, but not well. I decided to try some 91% rubbing alcohol and it worked like a damn charm. All the windows are clean, I pulled the front seats out and vacuumed everything, then installed and bolted in the seats. I adjusted the door windows and installed the door panels too. I pulled the rear view from the Stealth and installed it in the 3000. I need to get a new one though because the Stealth mirror is deteriorating.

I still need to install the wipers and discovered I need to investigate the rear defrost. The switch lights up but none of the strips are heating up. I would like to have that working properly before I start driving it regularly. Other than that I need to go over my alignment and tighten the steering wheel down and install the airbag/horn.

It's getting there.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to stealthee For This Useful Post:

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    I worked 7am to 10pm yesterday so nothing was touched, but got off after only working 7am to 6pm tonight.

I grabbed the wiper arms and wiped them down with lacquer thinner, then hit them with some black spray paint. Installed them and the wiper blades. I intend on driving the car to work tomorrow. I'm totally nervous, even though I have driven it well over the distance that I am from work, but you know.

We'll see how it goes.

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Well, I drove it to work, and the morning drive went well. We've been doing inventory precounts this week so we've had a few late nights. We decided we were staying late tonight so the boss asked me to go to the beer distributor to get supplies. Got the supplies and headed back and as I pulled out from one intersection I heard something that sounded hard and most likely metal hit the bottom of the car. It was only another 1/2 mile back to the shop so I just listened for additional noises and made my way back.

After I pulled in I looked over my lug nuts and didn't really see anything so I took the alcohol on in. A minute later I realized I left my gloves in the car so ran back out to get them and thats when I saw a puddle forming under the car. I laid on the ground and finally saw that somehow the driver's axle was partially out of the transmission. I'm guessing the bolt (note singular because IIRC one bolt was broke off when I got this engine) for the carrier bracket fell out and that was the noise I heard.

I thought about it and knew I couldn't do anything about fixing it there, or tonight, so I thought I could baby it home. I didn't even make it out of the business park before it came out enough to lose total engagement. I whipped a U-turn and tried to get it to move under its own power to creep back to work. Luckily my buddy saw me pull the U-turn and called me to see what was up. He turned around and helped me push it the 1/4 mile back to the shop.

The worst part is he said as we were walking out the door "Why don't you just take the truck home?" To which I said "I should be okay to get it home."

I was wrong...

It will probably sit there til Saturday, then I'll get it in the air and try to get the axle back in and baby it home. I might try to make sure someone is with me in case it goes south and then they could just flat tow me with the truck.

FML

BAD ASS - I've got one Not Verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) j2k4's Avatar
    Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    Crap.

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Yeah. Car is still sitting in the spot where we pushed it to. I'm going to grab the jack, stands, a block (to chock the back wheel), and some tools to get everything back in place. I'm hoping I can just slide the axle back in and bolt the bracket the bracket back up, but we'll see how it goes. I'll probably grab some oil to throw back in the trans to keep it lubed, then I'll get some more Redline and drain and refill.

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    So I got up yesterday morning, grabbed up some tools and headed to the shop to to try to fix the car. Got it in the air and on stands, then crawled under it and verified my original diagnosis of the bolt falling out of the jack shaft. I tried wiggling it back in place, but just didn't have enough play, so I decided to just take the axle nut loose.

This is when things started to go a little south, because I realized somehow in my rush I had forgotten the 21mm socket for the lug nuts. Luckily I had my shop key with me because I knew we had a socket set in there. Got that off and then realized I made another two mistakes. First, I forgot my side cuts to pull the cotter pin. Again, I grabbed a set from the shop. Then I realized I grabbed the wrong socket for the axle nut. Instead of a 32mm, I grabbed my 36mm.

I tried to call my brother, since he lives just down the road, and of course, he doesn't answer. I go back in the shop and find a 1-1/4" wrench. I figured I could just block the rotor and stand on the wrench to get the nut loose. Wasn't really working out, but in my next trip back inside I grabbed another tool set and luckily there was an 1-1/4 socket in there.

So I got the nut off, crawled back under and wiggled the bracket back into place, and started one of the bolts. The other one is stripped, so I'll fix that later.

This is when things got interesting again. I had a hell of a time finding the right combination of socket and extensions to tighten it up. First try I slightly arced off the alternator, so I had to get out and unhook the battery. Then I realized the way the headers drop down made it to where a short socket was too short, a long socket was too long, a short socket with extension was too long, a ratchet wrench just couldn't get the right angle on it, etc. I finally found the right combo of things to get it tight. Got everything back together, crawled out from under the car, rehooked the battery, started the car, and released the clutch. All is wel
    l.

Obligatory parking lot repair pic

After that I went to my brothers, then waited on my cousin to call me so I could take it to get the inspection done.

Headed out to my buddy's shop hung out for awhile, got the inspection done, then I asked about a powdercoated blue intake he had sitting there. He said he'd sell it to me and to make an offer. I was like I don't know, what do you want.

Anyway he himmed and hawwed a little and basically said we'll work it out. I went to pay him for the inspection, which was $30, and handed him $40. He put it in his pocket and told me that I just bought the manifold.

I tried to argue with him, but he was like "You're always hooking me up with fittings and hoses, so we're good."

So I got a powdercoated blue intake for $10

Its not 100% perfect but hell.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to stealthee For This Useful Post:

Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast