Looking good, dude!
    R135
    ╚╬╬╝

The one. The only. verified
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Thanks Kenny.

No real progress today per say. I did work on my transitions but it was a slow tedious work today. I am really close to happy with them now. Just minor details to finish the quarters and I'll move on to the finishing up the hood, then the rest of the car.

Starting to get excited as the finish line is nearing. Then a new "race" begins.

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    This weekend I will finally travel to my property in Italy here and will see a car in a garage that I need to fix for a while. It needs a transition box fixing and really good paint. I miss working on it, due to the virus situation couldn't go there for a while.
    Last edited by Kurton; 05-28-2020 at 04:53 AM.

BAD ASS - I've got one Not Verified
    Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurton View Post
    This weekend I will finally travel to my property in Italy and will see a car in a garage that I need to fix for a while. It needs a transition box fixing and really good paint. I miss working on it, due to the virus situation couldn't go there for a while.
    Start a thread and post some pictures...
    Ranked No. #1 in initial quality

Idiots, simply by being idiots, seem capable of achieving randomly bad things that are beyond the imaginings of sensible people.

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    I had to take a break from the car. The last week of May I was dealing with helping my niece and nephew get all their school work done and by the time we got done every day I had lost my mojo. I was also very much in my head about my lack of knowledge on body work and afraid of failing so I didn't even want to touch it. Ironically watching a YouTube video of someone else having the same mental struggles with the same type of job actually motivated me. The fact that an experienced body man was doubting himself and then came to the realization that he could in fact do it helped me realize that I too could get it done.

After that I spent a little time watching other videos for other techniques and things I could do to get these quarters and hood finished out. Another motivating factor is that my cousin took this week off and is finally getting his Laser painted. He told me to bring the car up and we could help each other get things done. He has a little more experience on body work than I do and I think I just needed another set of eyes on things because I worked the driver side more today and got it REALLY close. He had mixed up some high build primer to spray a couple things on the Laser and mixed a little too much so I grabbed the gun and sprayed both rear quarters as well as where I had done a little more work to the hood in the past two weeks so I could try to block them out tomorrow and get them straight.

I only got to work on it about 3 hours today so all I really got done was making the drivers quarter look better (and got my clutch adjusted a little more because its been driving me crazy)

Pics aren't the best because the sun was right at the wrong height but

Once the primer laid down I could immediately see a few areas that needed a little more work on the top of the drivers quarter. The passenger side looks really close and needs only minor work. I'm a lot closer on the hood than I thought I was. Plan is to lay a guide coat tomorrow and finish blocking out the drivers rear quarter, block the passenger rear quarter, and if I get to it get the hood and where I fixed a ding in the drivers door closer.

Once I can get through that its just sand sand and sand some more. Then a little more disassembly, then sand a little more then clean and paint.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to stealthee For This Useful Post:

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    I didn't feel like I made a ton of progress today, but I know in reality the amount of progress I made is subject to the steps I got through.

I hit everything I primed with a guide coat and started hand blocking it and realized how much it sucked and how slow the progress was so I used my own knowledge of how to use a DA properly and started "blocking" with it. I made a few other repairs with the fusor in between things and honestly took it kind of easy today because of temps in the 90's and me being in the sun. Tomorrow the plan is to get my cousin's Laser in primer, then pull it out into the sun to "bake" while he hand sands some things and I can pull my car in out of the sun so I can fly through some sanding without being in the blazing sun.

We called it an early day and as I was walking back to the car I noticed something funny.

I guess my car is a "Spider" now

I worked the hood a little more and it is incredibly close

Rear quarter after "blocking" it out

And finally as we were cleaning up my buddy texted me about a hydraulic hose. Even though I am still out of work I told him I could get it and bring it out. When I get there he is working on an insurance job and we are talking paint and body work as I am telling him what I've been dealing with. He says to me "Hold up a minute. I was literally thinking about this this morning." He goes over and picks up a can of primer and hands it to me. He said I'm not using it and I don't want it to go to waste so take this and use to finish up on your car.

I look at the can and start laughing. He looked at me like I was mad then I showed him the can.

I knew Duplicolor had the 3000 on the can, but what are the odds that that is the can he gives me?

Lastly, I haven't been able to get a good shot of the GTR because he doesn't drive it often, but his brother decided to get it out today since the weather was so nice

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Today I mainly did more sanding. Our main focus was to get the Laser in primer, but I worked my car as I could. After we got some lunch I started the rest of the disassembly.

Pulled the front bumper, fenders, crash bar, window trims, a pillars, spoiler pedestals, etc.

Tomorrow I am going to hit the low spots that I know are there with a skim coat and and sand them. Need to remove the taillights, taillight caps and sail panels and that should be it for removal, unless I decide to take the hood off.

Then plan on sanding the core support and a few other areas on the body by hand and maybe, possibly, priming the car with the high build primer. After that finish hand sanding the bumper covers, side skirts, door caps so I can get them ready for primer. Maybe, possibly get them in primer Friday.

I don't know, we'll see. Saturday is paint Laser day so I probably won't get much done on mine, but if I can have it all prepped I may shoot it on Monday

Anyway, how things were left when we called it a day. Almost looks like a body shop.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to stealthee For This Useful Post:

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Looking good, dude.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Thanks Kenny.

Its been a few days since my last update. I was sharing the compressor with my cousin but was giving him first priority because he only had last week to get his car done. When I didn't have the air hose I was doing what I could by hand and taking more stuff apart. I was also helping my cousin any time he needed just to speed his project along to keep the time frame.

The car is in 1000 pieces again. LOL I took the door weather stripping out to take the a pillar out to take the sail panels out. I took the door panels out to take the triangle out to take the door belt strips out. I took the fenders off too.

Pics of stuff shoved inside for now

Pics of the car stripped even further down and parts sitting outside out of the way

I moved the car away from the garage a little while primer was being sprayed and snapped another stripped down pic

I stacked all the loose parts off to the side of the garage to keep them out of the way for paint (on my cousin's car) the next day.

I snapped this one when we quit on Friday with my cousin's car ready to spray on Saturday.

Saturday was a crazy day. The plan was to be there at 10, he had to resand a few spots then we'd do a final reclean and prep of the garage so he could spray and I would assist. Long story short we were delayed by about 2 hours because his wife (who is pregnant) had an issue and they had to go to the ER. Thankfully both her and the baby are fine, but it put us a few steps behind to get him done. While I waited on him I did some hand sanding and other things I could do without making a mess in the garage. Once he got there he got done what he needed, then we got everything clean and ready and set up all his parts, got everything taped off and was ready for color. All was well til the second coat then on some of the rubber parts he starting getting reactions so we stopped there and called it a day. We unmasked everything and I helped him organize a game plan to fix it, but unfortunately it won't happen for a few weeks.

Sunday again I didn't get a lot done because I helped him out by getting some broken bolts out while he worked on reassembling the car enough to get everything out of the way for the time being.

I went and got a few supplies this morning then went and started on some final things for mine. I spent the better part of the day shaping the gas door opening and the gas door. Other than that I did some final hand sanding and sanded whatever bondo I had laid in random spots from what I had left when shaping the gas door opening. After my cousin got off work I got him to help me remove the hood so thats another thing off the car.

When I called it a day the car and the garage looked like this

The plan is to spray high build primer in the morning. It won't take long to dry so I hope to have it all sanded back out by tomorrow evening. If I do I shoold be spraying color on Wednesday then spend the entire day Thursday reassembling the car. I'll probably then spend the entire weekend cleaning the inside of the car and the engine bay because they are FILTHY.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    lol So you pick out a turbo for that built SOHC?
    I have a vr4 now....