Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: Blue Bastard 2.0

The one. The only. verified Feedback Score 14 (100%) stealthee's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

2. The Following User Says Thank You to stealthee For This Useful Post:

Member verified Feedback Score 0 DocWalt's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    looks fucking good, man
    R135
    ╚╬╬╝

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Thanks Kenny. I actually had two guys stop to drool over it today. I had just happened to walk back outside to hose off the mower before I put it away when I heard a car stop in front of the house and back up. Of course I was curious who the hell was stopping in front of my house so I looked and there is a red Celica sitting there. The driver sees me and asks if its my car, then compliments it. Asks a few more questions then asks if he can check it out. I didn't mind so he pulled in the driveway and him and his passenger were just loving it. They kept telling me they haven't seen a nicer one, etc. It was kinda funny.

I was thinking about taking it to a charity car show this weekend, but if my cousin can't go then I doubt I will. It's an hour drive and even though I've put around 2000 (probably even more, I don't know) miles on it since its been back on the road I'm still sketch about taking it too far. If my cousin was going he'd be taking his car too, and even though his is a "just as reliable" DSM at least there would be two cars if something would go wrong.

Forum User Feedback Score 0 box's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    That car is begging to be driven and shown off. Do the car show regardless, I'm sure you'll be fine.
    Last edited by box; 07-16-2020 at 01:38 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to box For This Useful Post:

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    I'm considering it. We'll see how I feel Saturday.

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    I haven't posted in this thread in almost a year. There really wasn't much need since the bulk of the work was "done." Sorry for the length ahead of time. I was just trying to catch everyone up to what's been happening

At some point last year I started getting a faint noise in the transmission occasionally. My thought was the one bearing cup was spinning, because it was a hair on the loose side when I assembled things. Then one day I started having problems with it going and staying in 3rd. Around the same time I noticed for some reason my shifter would move A LOT if I was in 3rd, driving, and goosed the throttle.

I knew something was obviously wrong and I had half an inkling to just pull and disassemble the trans to find out WTF was going on. I got too busy helping other people (like usual) and didn't get around to it and just let the car sit. December 4th I was on my way to bowling in my Lancer and smashed a deer.

I called my brother to see if he was home, but he was already in town, so I made the decision to turn around and get the car home and try to drive the 3000, even though I didn't trust the trans.

I got the Lancer home, got in the 3000 and took off. I heard a more distinct noise as I headed down the road and it all came together in my brain. 5th gear nut had worked loose. The car was still driving fine, but I listened carefully and decided to avoid using 5th. I made it to the bowling alley, bowled my games, then headed out to go home. As I pulled out of the parking lot the noise was definitely 5th gear.

Anyway I get home, back in my driveway, and as I go to take it out of reverse I slide into 5th and it won't come out. I let out the clutch and it acts like its in neutral.

I hung my head in frustration because I managed to "lose" both my cars in a matter of 5 hours.

I came out the next day and snapped a pic of the Lancer

My aunt had an extra vehicle available and told me I could use it as long as I needed so I wasn't super concerned on the 3000, and the weather was getting really cold at that time. I also knew I was going to be at my buddy's shop helping him on the Lancer.

Fast forward a few weeks and the Lancer is fixed.

Winter was shit, and I wasn't even going to look at the trans in nasty weather. Once weather started to break and I had time I decided I was going to take a look.

I thought all I was going to have to do was pop the side case off, tighten 5th gear nut, and put it all together.

That's what I thought, this is what I found

Luckily I had all the parts to fix it, but then I made it into way bigger of a project than it needed to be. I finally got it all reassembled then realized I killed my battery by not starting the car in so long so I invested in a trickle charger/maintainer and that managed to save the battery. Car started up and went into all gears but I didn't move it farther than a foot either direction.

Looking the car over I knew it was time to really start getting things done so I started buying more things for it that I should have just bought last year.

Early 91's had a and b pillar covers that were more fiberglass than they were plastic. These were extremely flimsy and most of the clip holders were broke so I found an excellent pair on eBay and bought them. I was also having an electrical issue with the drivers door which turned out to be a simple fix.

Anyway, I knew it was going to be hot Saturday but I figured if I pulled under the tree next to the house at least I've have shade. I started the car and took it for its first ride since December. Had to knock some rust off the rotors but it drove great. Put it in the yard and worked on it all day. The interior actually has the b pillars and seatbelts in it. The seatbelts haven't been in it since I stripped the car in 2017. I also made the decision to go ahead and purchase a pillars. I'm hoping they are as nice as the pics.

Once I called it a day I went for another quick ride and parked the car. Couldn't go too far because the inspection is dead.

I won't get anything done this coming weekend because I'm going out of town for a bowling tourney. I'll be out in Hershey, PA area.

I'm hoping next weekend I get to do the clutch in the Lancer because it has actually needed it since last year but I have been babying it. I've actually had the clutch since the Lancer was waiting on the R-Title, but we didn't get it done while it was still parked at the shop. After that the Lancer shouldn't need anything other than fuel for awhile. It has gotten lots of love and attention lately. Now its time to focus on my baby.

Once I do get a few more things sorted it will be time to start Phase 2.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stealthee For This Useful Post:

BAD ASS - I've got one Not Verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) j2k4's Avatar
    Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    Fucking deer.

I've had about a dozen deer run into me, but only actually hit one, which did the precise damage to mine as Brian's - bumper folds the legs and the deer body-slams the hood.

Shit/fuck and damnit.
    Ranked No. #1 in initial quality

Idiots, simply by being idiots, seem capable of achieving randomly bad things that are beyond the imaginings of sensible people.

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Again been awhile since a post, but not much has happened. I acquired a few more "finishing touches" and have sporadically driven the car to work, to bowling, to the store, etc. I had to laugh I picked my nephew up from football practice in it a few weeks back. He walked around the corner and jogged toward the car. As he opened the door he took a step back, shook his head and said "Man I love your car Uncle Brian."

I drove it to the bowling alley last night. Was one of the last ones to leave as my buddy and I threw a few extra games after league. We're walking out to the parking lot and his little boy (he's 6 I think) looks up at me and says, "Hey can I have your vehicle? It's a Lambo right?" His mom started laughing and said "EJ that's not a Lambo buddy." He looks back and says, "Is it a Ferrari then?"

It was comical. Then on the way home I came out of an ess curve and as I exited the curve I saw something black, and I couldn't quite make it out and thought maybe it was a weird shadow caused by my headlights, then it moved and I saw the white stripe down its back. I whipped the car hard left to try to either miss it altogether or straddle it. I straddled it, but heard it hit somewhere under the car. The smell wasn't terrible but it was there. There wasn't any place to pull off and look at the car where I was at so I continued driving and just listened and watched gauges just in case.

I got back to the next town and there is an American Legion with a well lit parking lot so I pulled in there to look and found surprisingly no visible damage. I would have thought with as low as my car sits it would have fucked up the front bumper but it looked okay. I made it home and grabbed the flashlight out of the Lancer and looked again and tried to look way under the car, but again didn't see anything visible. Only thing I'm going to double check is I will jack the car up and check the pan to make sure it didn't hit the pick up bubble.

Could have been way worse, even the smell could have been way worse, but it seems to be all but gone 24 hours later.

BAD ASS - I've got one Not Verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) j2k4's Avatar
    Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    Doesn't that all just figure?

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728