Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Bastard 2.0

The one. The only. verified
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday were all a washout. Finally got some decent weather to try to get some things done after work. I essentially got nothing done despite that.

I did get the front subframe out of the Stealth and proceeded to try to get it in the 3000GT. It refused to balance for me and when I thought I had it started on the studs good it fell and actually scuffed two spots on the bottom of the firewall. It wasn't too terrible but it pissed me off none the less. I actually grabbed the paint can and a small paint brush and touched up the scuffs. I finally found a balance and got it started over the studs but was unable to get the steering shaft to go onto the rack.

I had the same trouble when I put the subframe in the Stealth and my uncle and my cousin ended up stopping down to help me get it all aligned. I'll end up needing to do the same thing again. I also need to make sure the rack is centered.

Anyway, after my battle with the subframe my project jumping started again. I dug out the engine harness. I got the rear LCA bushing brackets out and resprayed them so they'll be dry when I install the suspension. I also grabbed one of my coilovers and went at trying to clean it up. I think I'll be able to clean them and make them look good while still assembled. They won't be perfect, but will look good enough for what you can see of them.

That's basically it. A few things "done" but no real progress made. Nothing will happen tomorrow due to bowling. The weather will probably be a factor this weekend, but looking at the forecast I should be able to get a few things done Saturday morning/early afternoon before the rain sets in. Hopefully I'll get enough done to make it worthy of a pic post.

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

BAD ASS - I've got one Not Verified
    Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    May as well get 'er buttoned-up for snow, Bri.
    Ranked No. #1 in initial quality

Idiots, simply by being idiots, seem capable of achieving randomly bad things that are beyond the imaginings of sensible people.

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Not quite yet Kev.

I did manage to get a few little things done in the hour I had after work and before getting ready for bowling.

I finished cleaning up the rear coilover and also cleaned up one of the front ones to see how good they'd look.

I'd say for as bad as they looked, my clean up and painting of the springs made them look more than acceptable.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to get the interior floor cleaned up and bedlined and get the other two coilovers cleaned up and ready. If there is time I will try to get the rear subframe up into place. The weather will be my main factor on what I get done tomorrow. Rain isn't supposed to set in until around 2 according to the latest hour by hour forecast.

As I have mentioned, and as you may all have figured my progress will be slowing down drastically from the progress I have made over the last few weeks, but I am still going to spend as much time on it as I can as the weather allows.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stealthee For This Useful Post:

Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    Yeah, that was a bit premature for your area.

Up here, though...

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Accuweather was not so accu for Saturday so it was another wash. Was able to get the other two coilovers cleaned up and painted up today. When I grabbed the other front coilover I noticed a lot of play in the upper mount so I put in a request for some replacement parts with Megan Racing.

I've finally started a list so I can try to get little things done in the evenings while I still have light and try to prep getting a bunch of stuff done on the weekend.

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    The last two days I haven't gotten much done. Yesterday I started cleaning up my steering knuckles to get them ready to go in the car. In the process I decided I was better off going ahead and ordering wheel bearings for it, so I put them off to the side until the bearings come in. I also ordered my brake caliper rebuild kits so I can get them ready.

I pulled the pump from the tank and found out it was actually a Walboro TTP277 which is apparently a 180 lph pump. I tried researching to verify what the NA pump is supposed to be but have come up empty so far. If I'm going to change it I'd rather do it before the tank goes back in.

Today the weather was a little crappy but I decided to try to organize a little and go through bolts and the like to see where I was. The rain stopped so I uncovered the Stealth and went through some stuff I stashed in there. I also managed to get the steering shaft onto the rack. The first try I was off by at least a half turn on proper alignment because when I turned the wheel and attempted to go full lock to the right I heard the wires on the clock spring stretching. I dropped the rack and spun the steering wheel over either a half or full turn and reattached it. Now I think I am off by a half turn, but it started raining again so I covered it back up and will tackle it again tomorrow.

I went ahead and ordered a new clutch master cylinder. I figured I'd hate to have to go back and change an old one I threw in there just to save $30.

I'll be ordering new adjustable LCA's from Terry too. Once the parts come in a lot of assembly will start to happen.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to stealthee For This Useful Post:

Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    Your project makes me miss Don Langlois, Brian.

Going to need to call this the Phoenix build! Can't wait for more

-----------------------------------------------------------------------^ Yup it's a Spyder Vr-4

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Well I didn't make a lot of progress today. I did come to realize instead of trying to center the steering shaft on the rack over and over again that I can just pull the wheel and clock spring and recenter them.

While not a lot of progress occurred I did get some staging done. I repainted some subframe pieces, LCA's etc. After sitting in my basement they got a little surface scaling. I got the front bar mounted. I was going to start mounting the rest of the crossmembers but realized I wanted to clean up the bolts before I did so. I put them in the sonic parts washer and some Evaporust and they are looking great. Hope to get them mounted tomorrow before I have to get ready for bowling. We'll see if I can get the LCA's up there too.

Lastly I got the 1g Stealth door caps mounted on the doors.

Sorry for the blurry pic. It was getting dark on me.

Front crossmember in

After not hearing back from Megan Racing, I sent a message off to Terry. After talking to him I think I am going to just throw the coilovers in for now. I'm either going to be waiting on parts for 6 months, or I might just bite the bullet and replace them all together. I also ordered more parts today. 99 turns, the outer door weatherstrip, front wheel well plastic. I got the rear adjustable LCA's ordered last night like I said.

I know I keep making plans for what I want to get knocked out, but I have a major issue keeping focused, so for now on I am going to just keep knocking out what I can to make whatever progress I can. Honestly, whatever is in my way will be my next goal to get done. LOL

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    So today being a Friday means bowling, and the weather is kinda shitty anyway so no work will really be done on the car today. However, when checking my email at work I saw that my wheel bearings and caliper rebuild kits were delivered today. Wasn't supposed to come til Monday so I was stoked. I had nothing to do at work so I grabbed the steering knuckles, which I took with me today, and started the disassembly process to prep them for the new bearings.

Other than fighting the damn snap ring just finding the right stock to set the knuckles up level in the press was the hardest part. Got them all disassembled, cleaned up and painted so they'll be ready when I press the bearings back in.

Before

After

As you can see I have two sets, but I only cleaned up the one set. I may clean up the other set and swap bearings in it too in the future. I also think I am going to go ahead and change the wheel studs while its apart. What's another $20 at this point?

If I can get the studs, and the weather goes to shit this weekend I may run back up to the shop and go ahead and assemble them to knock another thing off the list. I'll probably also try to get the brake calipers assembled.