Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Bastard 2.0

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I have to say that your really picking up some speed with this build.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Unlogic For This Useful Post:

BAD ASS - I've got one Not Verified
    Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    Always loved the blue...
    Ranked No. #1 in initial quality

Idiots, simply by being idiots, seem capable of achieving randomly bad things that are beyond the imaginings of sensible people.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to j2k4 For This Useful Post:

The one. The only. verified
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Beef6 View Post
    Lookin good Brian!
    Thanks Josh. Maybe once its "done" next spring we can try to get together for a little cruise or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Unlogic View Post
    I have to say that your really picking up some speed with this build.
    Thanks, I'm trying. As you can see all the work is being done in my yard. I can at least go through and bolt things on as I have time. I can do that in 40* weather if need be. Once it's on the ground and engine and trans are in I can at least drive it up the road to work on it if I have to.

Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Always loved the blue...
    Thanks Kevin.

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Sucks to hear about your clear going milky, I had this happen once when I sprayed a bumper before sunrise. Mine seemed to clear up more and more as the paint cured, after a week it was looking OK. A wet sand & buff up seemed to get rid of any milkiness that was still there.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to box For This Useful Post:

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    I tried some wet sanding and and buffing on the hatch.

I forgot to take a before picture of it, but I snapped one of the taillight area and it looked just that this.

After

While it looks way better, it is still not up to what I want. I found some areas that were light on color anyway so I am just going to scuff everything that went milky and respray both color and clear on Saturday. I've got a decent amount of color left, but am considering getting another quart just to make sure I have plenty. It should at least leave me enough to paint the insides of the fenders too.

I really ended up getting nothing done tonight. I finished tearing my compressor apart to service it tomorrow. When I was airing some tires up yesterday I heard the motor running, but not the pump. The belt had stretched massively, so I took it off to get another one. I wont get the belt til tomorrow anyway so I figured while it was off I would take the motor into work and put new bearings on it, clean it up and check the capacitors. I don't think the motor has ever been serviced and it is probably at least 25 years old.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to stealthee For This Useful Post:

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks

As you can see if everything had come out like the door jams I'd be much happier.

The main part of the bay looks good

But, like some of the other areas already pictured this is how the tops of the fender areas look

Today I scuffed the entire hatch and the hatch jams. I also scuffed the top of the engine bay and a few areas where I got light on the paint. Tomorrow I am going to go ahead and yank the doors off and set them up so I can get in all the tight areas. Saturday I will spray the stuff that needs it again, only this time I will get a much earlier start.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stealthee For This Useful Post:

Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    That blue is seriously stunning, Brian.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to j2k4 For This Useful Post:

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    So I got the doors off yesterday and got them set up on some horses. I found some big, heavy sheets of bubble wrap I had stashed for some reason and used it to cover the hatch and the doors to keep dew off them so I wouldn't have to worry about that this morning.

Got up this morning and got everything uncovered and started scuffing the things that needed scuffed. I took my time because it was going to be awhile before the sun got over the trees and got some heat into the metal. The air temp was around 60, but the metal was probably 50. Anyway, I got everything scuffed and wiped down and proceeded to tape everything off, all the while assisting my brother with a project he was working on in my driveway. Once the sun was finally overhead and the metal was warm I got to work.

Where I resprayed the color went down great. I was finally happy with my color coverage, then got the gun cleaned up to prep it for clear. I had some clear left over from where I painted the bay on the Stealth two years ago, so I figured I would use it up first. Got it all mixed up and started spraying. Immediately I saw something was wrong. I was getting bad texturing so I started making adjustments to my gun. I adjusted the material screw, adjusted the air pressure, I adjusted the fan, nothing was working. I call my uncle hoping he is home and can come look over what's going on.

I get him in the phone, but unfortunately he isn't home, but he offers some advice. I hang up, do what he says and nothing changes. I suddenly have a hunch and open the cup to look at the clear. I set the gun in the stand and open the can of the clear I bought last week and I see it immediately. The old clear had a "milky" look to it, while the new clear was, well, clear. I dump the cup and clean it out, then mix up some of the new clear, adjust the gun back to where it was and start spraying again. The results were night and day.

I breathe a sigh of relief and go about getting everything that needs it sprayed.

Hopefully getting a much earlier start, as well as covering everything up after it was dry, will prevent any issues like I had last week.

Tomorrow the main goal is to get the doors and the hatch back on, as well as the weather strip for each. Past that I think I am going to focus on the underside of the car to get it closer to be able to be back on the ground. I am so ADD that I am going to have to make a list and stay strict to it or else I will end up bouncing project to project, area to area. I'm definitely going to start losing the weather before too long, and once we move the clocks back I am going to be short on daylight through the week so progress is going to ultimately slow, but I am still going to focus on this as much as I can.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stealthee For This Useful Post:

Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    You're making me feel like shit for not painting my car in the driveway, Brian...

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    You're making me feel like shit for not painting my car in the driveway, Brian...
    It's no picnic.

So I got up this morning and uncovered everything to find it looking as good as it did last night, so that was a weight off my mind.

I slapped the Cianci fenders and quarters on the car just for a visual before I got started on other stuff

My cousin came down and helped me get the hatch and doors back on. After that I went back to work by myself. Got the 99 sails on, got the exterior A pillars on, as well as the weatherstrip trim and the weatherstrip. After that I did exactly what I was afraid I'd end up doing and started project jumping. Regardless of that I got the brake/fuel lines bolted back under the car, put the firewall heat shield back on as well as started putting underbody heat shields back on.

Got the rear crash bumper painted and back on and I set the taillights in place for the time being. I'm going to end up needing help remembering where I few things go, cause my memory sucks.

Can anyone tell me where this little heat shield goes? I've got the one long one that runs in the tunnel under the car, and the one that bolts up near the rear seat area, but for the life of me can't remember where this one goes.