Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Bastard 2.0

The one. The only. verified
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CleanSOHC3/s View Post
    lol So you pick out a turbo for that built SOHC?
    More on that at another time.

As for the paint job I slept on it and rethought things a little. Rather than try to rush to get everything done today so I am ready for paint tomorrow I decided to push the paint back til Thursday.

Today I got started by sanding the rear bumper where I did some repairs yesterday. Went around and looked over things and hit areas that looked like it needed it with the DA. I pulled the car out of the garage and hosed it down and wiped it off to get any heavy dirt/dust/grime off. I let it sit outside while I started setting up all the loose parts that were getting primed.

I blew all the loose dirt and dust out of the garage pulled the car back in and wiped everything with lacquer then taped/masked off the car. Then I wiped everything down with wax and grease remover then took lunch.

After lunch I mixed my first cup of primer and started adjusting and spraying as I went. Two cups later and everything was covered. Cleaned the gun and everything up, unmasked the car, and had to make a run to town to get some other supplies.

After I returned I started sanding everything with 320 til I had to quit and get cleaned up for bowling.

I got most of primed stuff resanded. I'll make sure everything else it hit with the 320 and time (and arm) dependent I may go ahead and do some 500 grit wet sanding. Once I'm happy with the sanding I'll clean the garage (AGAIN) and try to figure out my set up for paint since I have so many loose pieces. If I can get done then all I will need to do is tape, mask, and paint on Thursday.

Probably won't post any updates tomorrow since it will be more of the same and just a few more sanded parts.

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    I'll probably just wait to post pictures til I have a completed project. Unfortunately that won't be til Tuesday or Wednesday. I laid the sealer down then proceeded to start laying color and kept having minor issues. I would have been fine with a few minor issues but then I got a massive run in the front bumper cover. That pretty much caused me to quit right there. I've got way too many hours into prep to not get a nice smooth finish so I am going to go ahead and (mostly) reassemble to car since I already have good coverage, then give it a few days. Then I'll wet sand everything out and make sure there are no other defects, then I'll try again.

I'm a little disappointed, a little frustrated, and a lot sore. My back is friggin killing me. I'll get it done though.

BAD ASS - I've got one Not Verified
    Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    Christ, when I think of the last time I handled a spray gun, I know damned well I'd have to have a rotisserie set-up to even think about it, anymore...but, nevemind - I can't see what the fuck I'm doing anyway.
    Ranked No. #1 in initial quality

Idiots, simply by being idiots, seem capable of achieving randomly bad things that are beyond the imaginings of sensible people.

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    I think with having most of the stuff back on the car will make life easier on me. It will also help with making sure the paint is laid evenly between pieces. Sure there may be small areas that have paint but no clear, but chances are you can't see them anyway.

I think the plan is to wet sand on Monday. Knowing how long it took me to wet sand yesterday I am confident I can have that done in 3 or 4 hours. It will actually be easier with things being on the car. I may find a few areas that need further repair to make it smooth and if I do I will fix it at that time. If all goes well I'll reshoot on Tuesday as long as I can get the extra paint needed by then.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to stealthee For This Useful Post:

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Keep it up
    R135
    ╚╬╬╝

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Thanks Kenny. I did get the car back together yesterday. Spoiler is sitting on it, but will be painted off it. Mirrors and door handles won't go back on until afterwards. Haven't 100% decided if I will put side skirts back on ahead of time, or just wait.

Only other issue I am watching is weather. I may actually just get things ready and get an early start on Wednesday. Trying to avoid painting in the heat of the day. When I was spraying on Saturday it was about 85* in the garage, which didn't cause my issues I had in its own right, but it didn't help either.

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Got a little wet sanding done today. Not a lot. Glad I am doing this because its letting me find all my issues and hopefully I can have a glass like finish when I am done.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stealthee For This Useful Post:

BAD ASS - I've got one Not Verified
    Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    It had better be better than glass - if not, put bourbon in the glass and drink it.

Repeat as necessary until the finish is flawless.

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    I had probably 4 hours just in wetsanding the hood and roof today, and that was after sanding them some yesterday already. I hope to have the sanding done tomorrow, but we shall see. I am playing everything by ear right now.

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Sanding still not done, but much closer. Hope is to have everything finished up and prepped tomorrow, then maybe, hopefully respray on Friday. Again, we shall see.