Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Yeah, track season is on hold thanks to the tire issue
    R135
    ╚╬╬╝

Mad JDM Tite Feedback Score 0 95gto's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    In case someone wanted to argue the merits of how sweet this car sounds, it made a list of 20 best sounding cars by Road and Track:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...51218&slide=16

The other 19 options are also quite lovely to listen to, so I would recommend a quick listen to the whole thing.

As for the tires, sounds like you were channeling your inner Clarkson just a bit too much.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 95gto For This Useful Post:

Member Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    As for wheel weights. Aluminum duct sealing tape. Ugly but its the only stuff that works.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to anyonebutme For This Useful Post:

Owner Since

Thanks
    For when you want more power:

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 95gto For This Useful Post:

BAD ASS - I've got one Not Verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) j2k4's Avatar
    Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    Egad.

Hey, Kenny - it's the same color as your car.
    Ranked No. #1 in initial quality

Idiots, simply by being idiots, seem capable of achieving randomly bad things that are beyond the imaginings of sensible people.

Member verified Feedback Score 0 DocWalt's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Some of the 'murica action from A Street this weekend at Pocono. I finished up second in AS thanks to a lot of cone trouble for other drivers on Saturday. Heck, I wasn't a very clean driver either this weekend, here's my dirty Saturday & Sunday runs.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
    Some of the 'murica action from A Street this weekend at Pocono. I finished up second in AS thanks to a lot of cone trouble for other drivers on Saturday. Heck, I wasn't a very clean driver either this weekend, here's my dirty Saturday & Sunday runs.
    I would think the area in the fist video from 20 seconds to 22 seconds would be where a bunch of people got greedy and earned cones a prize.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 95gto For This Useful Post:

Forum User Feedback Score 3 (100%) Unlogic's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    That car sure makes a sweet sound =)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Unlogic For This Useful Post:

BAD ASS - I've got one Not Verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) j2k4's Avatar
    Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    Hey Doc, have you ever been to an event where you made enough passes to see what you considered a significant improvement before you went home, or where you would say you sort of pounded the course into submission?

Not talking clean/dirty, just in terms of time?

Member Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I'm not Doc, but from experience in the art of autoXing (or rally, it's actually a pretty parallel sport except rally is a 1 shot go), most every driver will see a "significant" improvement during the first 2 runs, then about half on the 3rd run, then for run 4-6 it's details and adding more runs after that doesn't really change results. More a luck and precision thing of which subsequent run will the stars align than a march towards perfection. For me, rarely is my last run my fastest, because it's very easy to push a little too far and go from clean pass to would have been faster but now dirty pass. I'm willing to bet money that 6 to 10 runs will not buy most drivers more than a tenth at best except for a lucky run stringing together their previous best splits.

Also, in autoX, "significant" is measured in say 1 second improvement from run 1 to 2. Less than half second from run 2-4, maybe tenths in 4-6. The real key in autoX is a mental game of visualizing the entire run before you line up, so there's really none of the typical racing thing of repetition for perfection, running hundreds of laps to learn every nuance of the course. I'm pretty damn good at the visual/mental game which is why I can go in "cold", do one walk through, and be within a second or less of my best time of the day. What I can't do well, and is super important, is after the run mentally breaking down the course to identify what went wrong and how I need to fix it (if I pulled data or video after every run, it would be a moot disadvantage). That is also why I don't really improve on my times as the day progresses but instead just push harder. As Doc and maybe many from NG can attest, I'm more a brute force guy while Doc is more clinical. Doc has a really good side by side video to visually show this from NG. I might also have video of both of us driving my green vr4 at NG, achieving times less than a tenth apart or something with wildly different driving approaches. In the end, the car can do a certain time, and getting 90% to that time is easy. So even if someone hammered all day at an autoX course, what would you expect, say an improvement from 96% to 97%, or 97% to 98%? On a typical course, that means a theoretical 5ish tenths improvement after lets assume 200 runs, which to me seems optimistic and is well within the noise of just the improvement just from sweeping the dust off the track and putting rubber down. Just running in the 2nd afternoon heat in the series I run is worth ~2 seconds compared to being in the morning heat.

Derail time:

Now, that all changes when you put a non-autoXer in the drivers seat, who will see more vast improvements from repetition and learning the car/track. NG times will attest to this as some people can see 5-6 second improvements per lap. Which was a really frustrating part of helping with the course at NG to build something fun for the guys who race and be different than the same-old SCCA stuff we normally do all summer, and still make it learnable for beginners. It's really hard to try and explain that the sport of autoX is not about driving as fast as you can through some cones in a parking lot, and the time and people constraints meant I/we couldn't give the people the proper time and instruction needed to teach them how to negotiate a course that by design is supposed to be mental and not visual. People just look at you weird when you tell them that I don't see a field of cones while I'm driving, or in fact I don't see the cones at all, but I see the course I need to take through them. It's just not something you can sit in the passenger seat and tell them where to go and expect them to remember it, but making people understand the importance of the walk through was impossible. It was my failure and one that I'm not sure I could fix even to this day. Some people are OSB, and NG Indy the first time was an example of building a super simple course where people still got lost because the course was too simple in my mind and too much space between elements. While Pittsburgh would be the other end of the spectrum, a course too complicated by design (still one of my favorites). I also got complaints on Indy 2 (too fast) and Memphis 1 (too bumpy). Memphis 2 was fun but difficult to work and quite dangerous honestly, and although everyone won't admit it, my pylon turn in Indy was amazing. I received so much shit for that up until Scott and Phil's runs.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to anyonebutme For This Useful Post:

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast